Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

So... Apple Watch - What do you think?

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by JFB, Mar 12, 2015.

1. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    So unless you've been climbing Mt Everest for the past few weeks, you must have heard that Apple has revealed their Watch.

http://www.apple.com/watch/

What you do think about it?
    Will you buy one?

I think it looks really cool and I'm amazed at the number of variations you can get it in. (y) I would love to have one, but will not likely buy one. I do wear a watch everyday. Over the past few years, I've tended towards cheap (<$100), but rugged watches. I don't worry about it getting nicked or wet. When I use it up, I get a new one.
    I looked around at the Apple watch site and didn't see mention of its level of water resistance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri likes this.
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I doubt that Mt. Everest can shield us from Apple News. :D

Here is a quote from Macworld on water resistance.

I don't typically wear a watch and not interested in getting one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri likes this.
  3. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I haven't worn a watch since I started carrying a mobile phone. When the android watches came out, I had no interest in getting one.

QLR and charlyee like this.
  4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Zero interest since either don't own any iOS devices. The Android equivalents didn't inspire me either, @palandri.

Sent from my SM-N910V

palandri likes this.
  5. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I think that Apple Watch is a $500+ device designed to remind people to look at their phones. (For the record, Android Watches are $300+ devices designed to do the same). So until I either lose my marbles or they learn a few other tricks (of which one must be holding charge for at least a month) I will have no interest in either offering :)

palandri likes this.
  6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    It has some visual appeal. I won't buy it just because I refuse to give Apple any of my money. It seems a bit thicker than the Asus ZenWatch, which is the one I wanted but can't afford. As for those not using watches because of their smartphone--there are times when looking at your wrist as opposed to fumbling with your phone are a much better and more discreet way. Think: meetings, cinema/movie theater, driving, and more.

palandri likes this.
  7. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I have no problem looking at my phone in meetings. In all other cases you mention I ignore the phone… and I would ignore the watch too :)

palandri likes this.
  8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    A meeting is the only place I would have a need to check time. I don't have a problem looking at my phone, it is typically right in front of me on the table anyway. People check their phones all the time, check their calendar, check time, use the calculator, the weather etc so everyone is used to it.

I would feel more obvious checking time on a watch on my wrist.

I guess it's all what one is used to. :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

9. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Sounds like Apple has an uphill battle against the trend of less watch wearing. It will be interesting to see which versions sell best. I'm guessing the sport version will lead in sales.

From my Moto X with Tapatalk

10. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I don't know whether an Apple iWatch is in my future or not.

But I don't see that watch wearing is in the decline judging by the store real estate and ad placement. I doubt Apple would enter a declining market.

Here is a recent article in the increasing popularity of regular watches.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-watchs-time-isnt-up-2013-07-01

I've always worn a watch and still do.

It's a lot easier to check a watch while waiting outside in freezing winter with heavy coats and gloves on, checking how much time you have left to catch that movie or store closing. Just one of many examples I can think of.

I imagine it be useful to check an iWatch and leave that 6+ device in your pocket.

One would probably risk dropping the phone less too, than pulling out of a pocket just to see the time or message.

$349 just seems too expensive to me. Unless the refresh rate is slower than an iPhone.

#10 viewfly, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    palandri likes this.
  11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Onto the OP question...

Like JFB I wear an inexpensive but nice looking watch — a Skagen watch. Had the same one for 15+ years. Also have a Rolex for fancy times.

The Apple watch maybe just too nice for me to wear everyday. Not sure it could take the beating. And I wouldn't want to feel pressure to upgrade it every year like the iPhone.

I like the health features of it. Would the battery last enough to do sleep monitoring like my Fitbit or UP?

I really am not familiar with all that is planned for it. Also my life is not as busy as it used to be. Maybe it would be a fancier watch in between my other two.

As of now I have no strong urge. Besides the model I would want is the $500 not the $349 version. I will wait to see what they look like.

I do like the looks though. I wouldn't be offended to receive one as a gift.

As for watch wearing in general. Ever had your hands full of grease working on the car? or paint? Or any stuff like that? My watch is useful then. Maybe not the place for a Rolex or iWatch though. In the office, sure, very comfy and 'The Man' has plenty of clocks around to remind you to keep busy and measure your efficiency. ;-)

On the fence.

PS: this fellow had an interesting take on the iWatch. First post in the thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1855645

#11 viewfly, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  12. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    That's very interesting, I would have never guessed they were on the decline. If I was a betting man, I would have bet on watches being on the decline. Recently, I don't think I've seen anyone under 25 wearing a watch.

13. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Yep, wrist watch sales on not decreasing for a certain market.

I haven't made a survey but I DO know a few 25-30 something year old where buying the fanciest but not necessarily the most expensive ($200-300) ANALOG watch is very popular. Men and women, for themselves or as gifts. The larger the better. Even chronographs are popular. Also they don't wear them to work always either. And these are very tech savvy folks. Seems more of a going out affair.

I could see two benefits for some having a iWatch.

1. Battery life improvement on the main iPhone. Screen-ON time is the largest battery killer. More so than a phone call. Every Facebook post, message, etc, flashes the huge screen. And I'm compulsive about pulling the phone out of my pocket to check it's importance.

Diverting that notification to the watch would keep the iPhone screen off. Ignoring a email or text, or a simple answer to a text from the watch would help. Only the watch would suffer, but it's meant to be a daily device regardless.

2. Less phone dropping. Nearly every time I've dropped a phone it is related to the process of removing the phone from my pocket. Severely worse in winter or rain. It's always the slow motion fumble
    , based on a one-handed maneuver. Not pulling the phone out for every vibrate would decrease accidents. Just check the importance of the message or post and answer when necessary. Hey, it might change my whole case criteria and I might be able to go naked even!

A few small benefits, although I'm sure it wasn't designed solely for that purpose.

charlyee and palandri like this.
  14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    @viewfly, seems to me that you are doing an excellent job of talking yourself into an iWatch. ;)

palandri likes this.
  15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Lol. I was certainly not trying to convey that. Battery life is good and I rarely fumble my iPhone.

And I am a klutz with watches, banging them on doorways. I'd need an iWatch otterbox. :)

I'll wait and see. I won't be the first user on this one.

palandri likes this.