Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SMS Interception

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by dreamweaverdude, Mar 22, 2005.

1. dreamweaverdude

dreamweaverdude New Member

Moderators I'm not sure if this is ok in this forum if not move it or delete it, but I have a question and i'm sure someone in this forum will probably know, my girlfriend's EX bf has and a mean SOB that's why she left. He has informed her that she needs to be careful SMSing messages because others like him and see what she types.....

Ok.. i've tried to find as much info on this possibility as I can, other than the fact that it appears to be highly illegal ( which would in no way deter him) how feasible would it be for someone OUTSIDE of government authorized personnel to do that?

HOw much risk is there is SMS messages over celluar phones?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Dreamweaverdue, BHam, Alabama

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I'm sure it would be illegal, but as far as I'm concerned I'm not sure it would be that easy to intercept SMS; I've never been worried about it.

3. hylton

hylton Member

I'd have to say he's just blowin' smoke...I think you'd have to first be in range to intercept the transmission from here phone/mobile device w/ some sort of scanner that could monitor the particular frequency of the device...and then, especially if she's on GSM, it's be almost impossible to decrypt it...I doubt you'd find too many people other than the government spook agencies w/ this level of know-how and technology...

So, if he's in the CIA or NSA, maybe she should worry, otherwise, I'd just file some papers w/ the local courts to keep him away...haha...

Chris

4. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Agreed :) Much better explanation than me, though!

5. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Well, if she's on certain providers *cough*alltel*cough* all you need to do is be in her SID with a phone programmed with her phone number. Usually you can see any and all SMS messages that are sent to (not from) her phone, including VM notifications.

6. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You have got to be joking!

7. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Not at all. I've done it before.

Not just that, if you know a person's billing zip code (not so hard, just try the common ones for their exchange) you can reset their VM passcode to 9999 via 611 automated CS. Get the voicemail backdoor number, and voila you're in. Listen to their messages, change their greetings, do what you want.

Security at Alltel is insanely lacking.

8. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    tragic,
    Could you elaborate, please? For a phone to be truly programmed the ESN for the phone would have to be in the provider's database as well as the associated phone number programmed into the phone. On a CDMA system, such as Alltel's everything is scrambled unless the phone knows the right code.

I don't doubt your voicemail backdoor scenario, however. That is entirely plausible.

9. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It doesn't work with US Cellular, but with Alltel it does (both are CDMA). I've tried it several times and it works, at least in my area. Two phones being registered with the same number, ESN's be darned, will both get text messages sent to that number.

10. bmkarnes

bmkarnes New Member

My Phone:
    LG AX4750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel National Freedom 1000,National Touch2Talk,
    Well if you find some one with the right tools it is VERY possible to clone a phone. Nextel has the worst problem with this because of the smart card technology they began with. Any one with just some idea of how to use a pc and a $70 smartcard reader/writer could copy the card and then cut the card out to fit. They have fixed the easy clone problem, now it works with phone books but I have seen cloned SunCom phones real big deal for a while in the Roanoke and Lynchburg, VA area. And I have seen cloned CDMA phones for yes Alltel, US Cellular, & Sprint (Ntelos). These take a lot of time and know how, oh yeah money quite a bit to clone a CDMA but it can be done. Next thing is ever switch phones upgraded or what ever and received the same text messages on both phones. That is considered a soft clone or software copy. Can’t do much sending of anything but you can receive almost anything. But a cloned cell is very traceable if people are stupid enough to call outbound. It kind of sends up a red flag form hell when someone calls and both phones register in the network. This is most of the time a counterfeiting ring or someone trying to sell a phone for a throw away operation.I wouldn't lose any sleep over some dip stick like your girl friends ex he would get caught easily if he cloned her phone and powered it on during an incoming call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. SpaceGhost

SpaceGhost New Member

My Phone:
    Kyo 3250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AllTel
    yes, you can intercept txts with alltel as long as your in the local sid as the same person. Its been about a year since i did it, but just now tried it and ... still works. sad.

12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wow, I didn't think anything like that was possible. That's bad!!!
    I guess it has it's good sides, like when you want to know who writes what to your girlfriends phone or something like that :biggrin:

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The voicemail thing I believe as well, that's possible, but the SMS thing would be scary!

14. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Voicemail loophole is something that should not even be open either. U.S. Cellular asks us for the last four digits of our SSN to even hear how many minutes we've used, much less do something as major as change VM passcode.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile doesn't require anything(neither SS nor Zip Code) in order for you to hear your minute usage, Verizon requires your Zip Code for checking your balance and minute usage. Sprint, I believe, requires SS.

16. tony_hawkins

tony_hawkins New Member

My Phone:
    motorola 710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon wireless
    I wonder if pictures would be vulnerable too?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Clearly, the thing to do is have the phone number changed and don't give it to that shiftless gormless little worm. Then you're OK, at least somewhat.

I agree, though, I'd file suit for a restraining order and make sure that little conversation makes it into the discovery phase. I could see a judge banning the guy having a mobile phone for that (well, the case in question was in Canada, but still...)

That said, I think the guy's probably blowing smoke up your @$$.

18. touchring

touchring New Member

Well, the problem is that in order to clone a SIM card, you must get your hands onto that SIM card!

Rgds,
    Joshua

#18 touchring, Aug 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2005
  19. xlationman

xlationman New Member

I :smokin: have done this as well! The switch (Lucent 5ESS) is looking for the ESN of the phone associated with the particular DN that the message was sent to. If two phones in the same area have the same ESN and DN, then they both shall receive the SMS...[/I][/I]

20. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

How would one go about this?

21. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I believe this is some sort of flaw with CDMA in that if you have 2 phones programmed with the same number on the same system, and there is a sms message sent out, or even a voice mail notification, both phones will show it. I have played around with this before when I had service with Sprint, and on a couple of occastions, the phone that was not the current phone on the account recieved an incoming call!!!! I have not tried that with my Verizon phone yet, but I have an older phone here, I will dig it out and see what happens.

22. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is true and also happens on TDMA equipment if programmed with the correct home SID and MDN/MIN. However, I have not experienced that you can see the message, only the notification.

#22 MOTOhooligan, Oct 20, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  23. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

IF YOU GET CAUGHT doing what you're talking about you're looking at fines and even jailtime (illegal wiretap). Also if a wireless carrier is that loose with it's customer information that's a great way to be heavily fined:mad:

24. ecks76

ecks76 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto RAZR v3 (Mine)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular
    Just a reminder since people seem to be focusing on voicemail messages... the original poster's question pertained to SMS (Text) messages, not voicemail... since it's been many posts since text messages were discussed...

25. Bsweety83

Bsweety83 New Member

Can you tell me exactly how this is done? Can this be done if one phone is Alltel and the other is Verizon?

26. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No. Both have to be Alltel.