Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Smartphones, Which one??

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by zphinx, May 6, 2011.

1. zphinx

zphinx New Member

Hey I just joined the forums (pretty awesome :D!) and I have AT&T and a completely noob when it comes to smartphones. Anyways I have a iPod Touch 4th gen (planning to sell) and I wanted a smartphone that is Wi-Fi friendly and just as capable as the iPod Touch, I was planning to get the iPhone 4, but I don't have a micro-sim. So basically I'm looking for a smartphone with these qualifications...

-AT&T, regular sim card
    -WI-FI friendly (able to text/Facebook/Skype/Google Maps/etc. )
    -Works well without 3G or 4G plan
    -Android OS
    -Decently good camera 3.0 megapixels or better
    -Music/Movies/Video (I assuming all smarts are capable of this?)
    -Easy to use touch screen (I have the Samsung Eternity and it uses pressure...its horrible)

I when on the AT&T website and looked at phones that matches these qualifications, the HTC Aria, Samsung Captive, Sony Ericsson Xperia, and other ones popped up. Also I'm new to the Android OS, but I heard its quite user friendly and their app market is expanding dramatically correct?

It would be much appreciated if you guys could help me! Thanks!

2. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    You can get a iPhone 4. It should come with the new card. But out of your list I would go with the SE X10 for a new Android user. :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello and Welcome to WA.

Firstly, you don't need to have a micro SIM, the iPhone4 will come with it, so if you want to get the iPhone 4 go for it since it will be the closest to what you are used to.

If you want to get an Android device, basically all of them will meet your requirements, it is just a matter of individual preference.

Here is my personal experience with some of them:

Captivate - It has a gorgeous screen but very hard to read in direct sunlight. The GPS did not work and there are conflicting reports if the issue was fixed with updates.

Xperia X10 - It is a great phone but the at&t version is stuck on OS 1.6 and to the best of my knowledge, the stores are not carrying it anymore. It also has a low earpiece and call volume for some people and there is no true flash for the camera just a led light.

Motorola Atrix, I have had this for almost a month and put it through its paces. It has held up very well and both Motorola and at&t is supporting it well and sending out timely updates so far. It has great reception and call clarity.

There is also the HTC Inspire which from what I heard, has a less than desirable battery life.

The Samsung Infuse will be coming out this month as well.

I would recommend waiting until the Infuse came out and then go to a store and trying them out.

In the meantime, here are some spec comparisons

Hope I have helped a bit and have fun device shopping. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The OP mentioned not wanting a 3G or 4G data plan. Don't all new AT&T smartphone require at least a $15/mo data plan?

5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Oops, you are right. Yes they all do. Thanks. :)

zphinx, you will not be able to get a Smartphone from at&t without atleast a $15 data plan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. zphinx

zphinx New Member

Ahhhh ya I just found that out...I'm on a family plan for another 4-5ish months with AT&T and I was really hoping to get the HTC Inspire too DX!

And JUST to make sure, even if I purchase a HTC Inspire from Craigslist and insert my sim card (without a data plan) it still WON'T work, correct? Also I don't know what "unlocking" is, but is that a method of solving this?

Also is this true for iPhone 3rd gen or the 3GS?

Thanks for posts btw, all of them have been helpful :)!

7. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    If you're going to purchase an HTC Inspire from Craigslist, make sure it's unlocked (which means it will take other GSM carrier SIM's). To buy a locked phone from Craigslist is a waste of money.

And no matter what iPhone version or smartphone you have, AT&T requires a data plan. No way around that, period.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Unfortunately, At&t will require a data plan irrespective of which one it is and where you buy it from.

"Unlocking" refers to the ability of one provider's device to work with another provider's SIM. If you buy from Craigslist make sure it is a GSM device and that it is euther for at&t or unlocked and has at&t WCDMA which is 850/1900.

9. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    As already mentioned, all wireless phones, by definition, have cellular radios (3G and supposedly 4G).

As to upcoming Android phones: Either the Samsung Infuse or the yet to be announced (but definitely on its way) Samsung Galaxy S2. Other posters are correct, the HTC has not only poor battery life, but a washed out display in comparison to the Samsung. The Atrix has mixed reviews depending on who is writing about it. Everything from falling to pieces to being the best thing since sliced bread. You'll have to make your own decision.

You can find several reviews on youtube.

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I have the "best thing since sliced bread" one. :D