Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Smartphone recommendations

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by redorgreen, Jun 27, 2008.

1. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

What smart phone would you recommend? I like the Moto Q, and because it is Motorola, am thinking that the coverage for voice calls would be comparable to other Motorolas. What about the Palms? Or the Blackberry? Anything to stay away from? I have Windows XP on my computer at home that I will be linking it up to... any known problems with that (for contact info and calendar items). I have a friend selling a Q, but I don't know if it is the 9c or the older model. Her husband won it at an Alltel event (he works for Alltel) about 4 months ago.

Thanks!

2. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The q9c just came out yesterday, so I would assume its the Q. I would suggest going to the store and play with them. Also, you can always buy one and try it out. If you don't like it, then return it. Theres a 30 day return policy.

3. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Wirelessly posted (E2: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11328/534; U; en))

I can vouch for BB reception. I was surprised to see the pearl holding on to a signal longer than the v3m. Never used a q regularly so I don't know how it compares.

4. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I used a Palm Treo 700wx for a while before I got my HTC PPC6800. The upgrade from Windows Mobile 5.0 to Windows Mobile 6.0 was nice and I reallyi like the 6800. The slide out keyboard makes texting and e-mailing easy and the 6800 is the only smartphone that can send and receive MMS. I'd go with the 6800 if you want a Windows-based smartphone. I can't say anything about the Q9c since I haven't used it but the 6800 beats out the original Q as far as functionality is concerned. Signal strength is probably a tie for those two phones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I have the 6800 also and the signal quality is decent. A Motorola would probably do better, but the 6800 has the Q beat in everything else.

I would check out the Pearl though. One of my employees has one and lives in a town 10 miles out (Nickerson) that doesn't have any towers and he can get a signal. I've played with one and it seems not bad to use once you get the keyboard. You might get a Blackberry with a full keyboard though.

6. Tullphan

Tullphan Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Desire
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I, too, am pondering a Smartphone purchase.
    The rep at my local store stated that the Pearl was awaiting an update in order to download pictures w/o having to go through e-mail. Is that true?
    It's easier for me to come up w/$79 than $199. :)

7. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Yeah it don't do MMS. The 6800/Touch does. You could look at the Touch.