Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Slow data speeds

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by ctx89, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ctx89

ctx89 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Once again, we are experiencing extremely slow speeds on our data card. Both my brother and I have two different cards, two different routers, and are hitting the same tower in town. We both are getting an average of 200k at peak times and around 1.2m when everyone is asleep at 3am. My guess is that whatever Verizon did about a month ago when they took the tower over affected it. Now when we both travel 20 miles to another town (larger), we are getting true RevA speeds ALL the time.

This is getting frustrating on waiting for Verizon to hopefully "upgrade" our tower so we can get true RevA speeds on a ALL the time basis. I'm tired of paying $60 a month for dial-up speeds.

Could there be something we are missing with setup since Verizon took over? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!

2. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Don't know the answer, but do have some questions:

1: How do you know VZW "took over the tower?" Too my knowledge nothing has been done in your market.

2: How do you know you are both hitting the same tower? Just because you may show the same SID doesn't mean it's the same "tower." Sets of towers frequently share SIDs.

3. ctx89

ctx89 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    thanks Bryan...

1. We had to change our numbers about 4 weeks ago and when I called Alltel to ask why, I was told it was for preparation for Verizon.

2. We live in a very small town in KS with 1 tower. Alltel tells me that our tower is much slower than 1-1.5 years ago due to all the data traffic on it now. Which if I understand right, is a bandwidth issue. If so, why dont they just add more bandwidth to the tower?

What do you think?

4. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

It sounds plausible. Call and _____ about it.

5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    It may be entirely possible that the tower is maxed out, and an additional tower is necessary for proper coverage. Because of local zoning issues, and NIMBY's protesting the construction of new towers many times either a needed tower is not built, or takes forever to go through the approval process.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

The recent MIN change was a cleanup for MINs incorrectly assigned. Not really tied to the upcoming conversion, but it needed done.

Adding "bandwidth" equates to a lot of money. They have to see a sizeable return on that investment and frankly, in that area, they probably don't think it's worth it fiscally.

7. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Get more people to sign up so that they have to upgrade. *grin*