Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

slapped my iPhone 5S down onto the asphalt today

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, May 12, 2014.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Wow. Walking from my car toward Home Depot today, my iPhone 5S slipped from my hand, actually ejected from my hand is a better description. From above the belt height it flew forward in front of me, hit the rim, flipped to another rim side in the air, spun like a top, and then slammed down flat and slid across the asphalt surface of the parking lot about a foot, maybe two feet.

My heart sunk, others froze and starred at my phone, and my reaction. I watched my phone acrobats in slow-mo.

And just recently I said to myself, I don't need a case, just go naked with it. So I played with no case, then went to the Spigen bumper, then the Spigen Slim Armor, and then to the Spigen Neo Hybrid (bumper with rubber back)...and finally decided the rubber back just held too much heat in the summer for the battery. Went back to the plain bumper just this morning.

So it was with the Spigen bumper on that the fall happened. NO damage to the phone...about 8 nicks/gouges in the Poly rim by the power button and around that edge. No screen damage, no back metal damage.

That bumper really worked. It looks okay still, but I'll get a fresh one cause I don't like the nicks.

I haven't dropped my phone in over a year or more. Lesson learned... Don't go naked and the bumper worked for me....a real world test case. Maybe playing with so many cases in a short time...my 'hand memory' got confused about the right grip. ???

I dodged the bullet.

Everyone sighed a relief and inhaled a breath once again. ;) Amazing how others can feel your pain. I guess we have all been there before. Or get nightmares about it.

#1 viewfly, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Whew! I had a similar experience a few years ago when Droid Incredible flew out of my hand. Don't know how that happened. But next thing I know, it's in the street and I was unable to get it... A bus was coming and ran over the phone. Gasp!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Holy cow pucks! Now that is really, really bad luck!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Yep! I loathed paying for insurance, but I was glad that it happened right before payday and that I had insurance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I guess I'm a bit over insured, or have over lapping insurance.

1. I purchase with my AMEX card which gives me 2x the warranty, and damaged/lost protection(90 day limit). It's an free add on since I don't pay with cash anyways.

2. I buy AppleCare+ which extends the service and warranty to 2 years- I mostly use this since the repair/service is the quickest. Also covers two no fault breakages.

3. I have a $50 a year house insurance rider that protects all my 3 phones 4 computers and 3 iPads for damage and loss/theft (life of product). Limit is $5,000 per year.

It all works for me. One and three are just common sense. AppleCare is the most practical one that gets used most, but doesn't cover losing a device.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk Pro