Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Site Loading Speed Battle Motorola Xoom Vs Apple iPad2

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, Mar 16, 2011.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    March 15, 2011 3:11 PM PDT
    Site-loading speed battle 2: Motorola Xoom vs. Apple iPad 2
    by Eric Franklin

A couple of weeks back we put the original iPad up against the Xoom in a site-loading speed battle. While most of the feedback was positive, a few commenters expressed their disappointment that we used the original iPad instead of the iPad 2. Well, now that the iPad 2 has been released, we can in fact post the story you've been waiting for. One that will no doubt completely satisfy everyone.

So, let's get right to it.

Site-loading speed is one of the simplest things to test, and it's a test many users can immediately relate to. As I said in the previous post, I'm a greater fan of real-world tests like going to actual, real sites, than of synthetic benchmarks.

We used three different Web sites for the tests: CNET.com, CBSNews.com, and GiantBomb.com. Each tablet was connected to the same closed network with no other devices on it, with the router about 5 feet away. We considered the test to begin the moment we pressed Enter and run to the time the blue progress bar on each tablet disappeared. We used iOS 4.3 for the iPad 2 and iPad, and the Xoom is using Android OS 3.0.1.

Although in the video you'll only see one iteration for each test, we actually ran each test several times; over those runs we got results consistent with what you'll see here. Also, we cleared each tablet's browser cache before each iteration of the tests was run.

Now, as much as we'd love for these tests to be completely relevant for everyone in every situation, that's nearly impossible. We tested these tablets under specific conditions in a "free" environment. The network was closed, but we can't account for noise from other networks interfering. This is a snapshot of performance in our testing environment, and your results may vary.

Read more: Site-loading speed battle 2: Motorola Xoom vs. Apple iPad 2 | Crave - CNET

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    2 people like this.
  2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Interesting. What exactly is it (thechnically speaking) that causes one devices browser to load faster than another? And what about different browsers on the same device, would they load equally as fast?

As I am someone who works on the network side, I would think latency and througput speed would be the biggest factors. But if 2 different devices in exactly the same network enviornment behave differently, then it looks like it could be something inside of the device causing the difference. I guess more software related than hardware? :headscrat

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    It is definitely the device itself and different browsers on the same device do perform differently.

There are also other variables involved, Assuming they were both tested with the default browsers, the Xoom has some variation of Chrome (per my VZW expert) and I assume the iPad2 is Safari.

Other than the different OS, the RAM in Xoom is 1GB and in iPad2 is 512 mb.