Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Simplified voicemail retrieval

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by JRGerman, Apr 5, 2003.

1. JRGerman

JRGerman New Member

Howdy,

I am a recent convert to Verizon and have the LG VX4400 to show for it. My old Nokia (AT&T) would permit me to hit the '1' on the keypad and retrieve voicemail. I would very much like to cut down on the number of keystrokes with this new phone. Does anyone know how to setup the '*86' to enter the password?

Thanks,

2. m1mgd00

m1mgd00 Member

I actually did this for my office voicemail, and it was much easier to set up than on my old Startac (I would have to break out the Startac's manual to figure out how to do it each time...fortunately, LG didn't bother to clutter up their manual with such minutiae! [​IMG]).

Anyways, set up a phonebook entry for yourself (can be a new entry or you can add a new number to an existing entry). For the phone number, enter "*86", then press the right menu key (should say "Pause"). You can choose either a hard pause (where you have to press a key--forget if it's the Send key, which was the case with the Startac, or if any key will do--to continue with the next set of numbers in the sequence) or a soft pause (where the phone waits 2 seconds, then continues with the next set of numbers in the sequence). For my office voicemail, I had to use a hard pause. After the pause, enter your voicemail password, then save the phonebook entry. Now you can assign a speed dial number to the phonebook entry you just created, and you're good to go.

3. Nimwei

Nimwei New Member

I have mine setup as follows:

*86TTT#TT39289

*86 being the number
    TTT being three 2 second pauses
    # prompting for password
    TT again for a 4 second pause
    39289 my pass

Works like a charm.

i do that for my minutes too.

#225TTT123456789TT1TT55020TT1

4. PjayzcivicHd84

PjayzcivicHd84 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I use *86TT#Tpassword it works better for me, it goes a bit faster.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PjayzcivicHd84

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    HJey, howcome under message settings, then voice mail number, I cant enter a pause?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Dantheswim

Dantheswim Junior Member

I'd like to know why you cant enter a pause either. I have mine set up in my phonebook though so i can just hold down the "1" key and it'll do it itself--like everyone else has posted, except instead of dailing *86, I dail my phone # so I get charged mobile-to-mobile minutes, not regular minutes. I usually get 3 or 4 voice mails a day and always use all my minutes so doing it this way helps me a lot.

7. Chase

Chase Junior Member

You can't edit the Voice mail settings in the message settings due to tha fact that it is hardcoded in the SW. That is VZW direction to all manufacturers unless the alternate location would be in a phone book location and will be treated as such. In the old Startac, it was located in phonebook location 98 so when the user dials *86 (*VM) it will look up the location 98 in the phone book and dial as such which also allows the user to edit the VM number. Other markets during that time (GTE,Airtouch,PrimeCo) had different VM dial in numbers. Now all manufacturers are using *86 due to VZW has setup all VM systems in the VZW network to use the *86.

The only way you would edit the vm number is adding it to the phonebook then add all th pauses and passwords. remember, there is also a security reason why VZW does not want pauses and PIN numbers to be viewable thru the user interface.

8. PjayzcivicHd84

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    It takes minutes to check voicemail? I always do it with my home phone.

9. Chase

Chase Junior Member

If you dial *86, that is free airtime, you already pay for the service in your account. If you call your MIN thru your mobile unit, that you are charged airtime.

10. PjayzcivicHd84

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    so im not taking minutes away?

11. Khumpty

Khumpty New Member

You can edit your "hard-coded" VM number, here goes:

1) Go to menu->3->7, this will be message settings

2) choose * - Edit Voice Mail number

3) it should by default be *86...leave this

4) Hit you right soft ket to bring up the input options and choose the Abc.

5) Enter 3 T's (uppercase)..press the softkey to switch back to nums and enter a #

6) Switch back and enter another T and a final switch back to nums to enter your password.

It should finally look like this:

*86TTT#T<pass> where <pass> is your password.

Now you can dial straight to your VM by simply holding down the message (up) button. Now all your one touch dialing can be actual people!

Post if there are any probs.

12. JRGerman

JRGerman New Member

This forum has proven to be AWESOME! [​IMG] I currently have hard coded my phone to check VM using the Message [up] button. Works exactly how it should. I caught the hint that Verizon has a security issue with this arrangement. I got that message LOUD and clear when the customer service rep told me it "cannot be done with your phone". I knew that had to BS and thankfully, stumbled my way into here.

Now...one more question...how the hell do I get back out?? [​IMG]

13. AZMerf

AZMerf Member

I added my password to a phone book entry and it worked perfectly. However, then I ran across the post above and try it. The instructions above did not work for me. The enter now reads: *86TTT#T<pass>#

It looks exactly like the post (except I added the trailing pound sign) but it didn't work at all. Any thoughts?

14. Khumpty

Khumpty New Member

Why the extra # AZMerf?

15. AZMerf

AZMerf Member

It's like the enter key. If you manually put in your PIN and then hit the # key, the next prompt will come up faster. I just took it out and it still doesn't work.

16. Dantheswim

Dantheswim Junior Member

I did what you just posted, but when i hold the up key it still only dials *86, nothing else. When i go back to edit my vmail number again(menu 3-7-*)the correct format shows up with the pauses and all, but it still only dials *86. Any thoughts? I think this phone is posessed.

17. AZMerf

AZMerf Member

That's good to hear. I thought I was doing something wrong. If it doesn't work on your phone either ... Little help! [​IMG]

18. pianoman41

pianoman41 New Member

Not according to Verizon. From their web site FAQ (bolded section is my emphasis):

A call to customer service also confirmed this. That's why some members (like myself) have changed the *86 in their hard coding VM button to their mobile number instead. When calling your own number from your cell phone, it dumps you direct to your own voicemail *but* since you are dialing a mobile number you use your M2M minutes instead of your other minutes. Since I'm always checking my VM during peak hours, I'd rather tap into my 1000 M2M minutes than my precious 400 peak minutes.

19. Khumpty

Khumpty New Member

That's odd. I'm not sure what the problem might be. I followed my own directions again and everything worked.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

20. Gigolo

Gigolo New Member

I'm having the exact same problem. I edit everything exactly the way it says and all it does is dial *86

mine looks like this in voicemail number

*86TT#Tpass

any ideas?

21. Khumpty

Khumpty New Member

Are you guys making sure you press "OK" when you are done editing and you get the "Saving" screen?

22. Gigolo

Gigolo New Member

Yes of course. If you go into my voicemail setting right now thats what will show up so it has to be saved.

23. Gigolo

Gigolo New Member

Maybe I am missing something. If i goto menu 3,7,* I can completely delete the whole *86 and save it and then when i try to retrieve my voice mail it will still dial *86. It should do nothing since I deleted the entire line. If I go back to 3,7,* it is blank. So it must be getting this information from somewhere else but i don't know where.

any ideas? it seems that they should all work the same.

24. Chase

Chase Junior Member

*86 is hardcoded in the SW. There is no way to edit it and perform the functions as entering the pauses and pin numbers. On VZW's perspective, they do not want that feature available unless the user opted to enter it in the PBook location and enter all the pauses and PIN numbers. Based on Verizon's requirements, it is not editable plus they also wanted to have a dedicated key such as the up arrow in the NAV key is a short cut when held down for more than 3 seconds.

25. AZMerf

AZMerf Member

It sure looks like it's editable. When I look at the VZW number now in my phone, it shows the *86TTT#<pass>T#. It just doesn't do anything other than dial the *86 number. However, I have voice mail in teh number one position with all the codes and it works perfectly. I press and hold the 1 key instead of the up arrow.

26. Khumpty

Khumpty New Member

I assure you it is very editable. If I down the Up button right now it will dial *86TTT#T<pass>#. I'm not sure what I've done differently. I assume you've tried searching the rest of the forum. It's been awhile since i did this, but if i go in and change my VM # thru the above method and hold "up", the new number is dialed.

Can anyone back me up that has done this and seen it work?

27. kjo43

kjo43 New Member

Khumpty...

This is my confirmation that your process works for me!! [​IMG] I would also like to express my thanks to you, I had given up on figuring this out with the VM button, and had been reduced to using a speeddial key.

I have *86TTT#PASS# as my voicemail number. When I hold down the VM button (UP) my voicemail is called and the prompt says " Please enter your password and press POUND" within about 1 second I hear the four tones of my password and then the final #.
    Next thing I hear are my new messages. how sweet.

For the record, my phone is unmodified and running the 04 version of software and is HW version 1.1

For those having the problem... are you using CAPITAL T's ??

28. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Khumpty...after entering the 3 uppercase T's you say to switch back to NUM and enter the #. I cannot enter a # from the number menu, it inserts a space. The only way I can put a # in is through the symbols menu. How do you get a # to appear from the NUM menu?

Second, I am having the same issues as everyone else. Even if I edit the VM number to say 614-***-**** without any letters or symbols, when I hold down the up arrow it still dials *86. I wonder why this works for some people and not others?

I just use the number 1 key as a phonebook entry for VM like Dan

29. Khumpty

Khumpty New Member

That's my mistake...you do have to use the symbols menu for entering #'s. What you have should work. Should being the operative word.
    This problem still baffles me. Let me look into it more.

30. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah this is a funny problem. I even switched the VM number to my home phone, thinking the display was showing *86 when it was actually dialing 614-***-**** but even with my landline phone entered as my VM number it still dials *86.