Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Simple Freedom in Southwest area

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by lilaz, May 8, 2003.

1. lilaz

lilaz New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 2126i
    Anyone have experience using Alltel's Simple Freedom plan in the Southwest area? Would like any info on coverage, roaming experiences, quality etc. Also, any comments on the Nokia 5185i that comes with this plan? Light phone user, travel mostly to southern Calif., Yuma, AZ or New Mexico. Live in Az. Thanks.

I searched the messages, however almost all discussions are in the South or East coast. Lilaz[​IMG]

2. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Lilaz,
    Fortunately, Arizona and New Mexico is Alltel territory. All the big cities, and most of the highways are native Alltel coverage. The roaming partners are also excellent, usually Verizon. Let the Simple Freedom map be your guide.

The 5185i is an OK phone. It is a dated design, and the "one-key" navigation system may seem odd, but accessories are very cheap. This is a basic phone. Simple Freedom is a Wal-Mart-based product, but I believe it is a MUCH better deal than Alltel's Pre-Paid plans...specially with Alltel being a coverage leader in AZ/NM, and Verizon in SoCal.

-Bill

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Bill, I saw the Simple Freedom phones in our Wal Mart the other day here in Ukiah, CA. We're Verizon up here, does Alltell have some sort of agreement with them in non Alltel areas?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Mike,
    The Simple Freedom plan has it's own web site, which makes me think it is detached somewhat from Alltel...but the "Freedom" moniker tells me otherwise. Since Wal-Mart is the driving force behind this, they may have asked Verizon to support the service in non-Alltel areas. But I have NOT seen this in our Wal-Marts, although i don't go there very often.

I sure would like to see the PRL on this plan.

-Bill

5. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've heard reports of Simple Freedom being sold at Wal-Mart's in area's that do not have ALLTEL service.

6. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    I guess Alltel is getting into the Tracfone type of pre pay thing if they are selling it in non Alltel areas like mine. In fact, there is no Alltel anywhere in CA. I checked the coverage map on their web site, and it looks like they are using Verizon's, Alltel's and Sprint's network for service.

7. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    ALLTEL provisions Simple Freedom customers on VZW's network in areas where they don't have their own coverage; SF phones are readily available in Wal*Marts here in Atlanta, which VZW covers and ALLTEL doesn't. I don't know if they sell service at all, and if so whose network they use, in areas that are covered by neither -- I guess I can check if I'm down around Sylacauga AL or up in Corbin KY sometime soon... [​IMG]

-SC

8. Daniel885

Daniel885 Junior Member

Simple Freedom is a product of ALLTEL