Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SIM Question

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by cukoz, Dec 17, 2007.

1. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

So I am almost at the point of pulling the trigger on an new iphone with att, but I had a question. Since it such an expense phone, I wouldn't want to take it to the beach, boating, snow skiing, etc. I am used to CDMA carriers with no SIM cards. With GSM SIM cards can I just buy an unlocked GSM phone, say the motorola V3xx, from ebay, and just swtich the SIM from the Iphone to the V3xx whenever I want and it will work flawlessly?? That seems pretty awesome.

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Yes that is exactly how it works. As a matter of fact it can either be an unlocked V3xx (or another GSM phone)or one that is locked to at&t.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yes, as long as its an at&t, Cingular, or unlocked GSM phone you will be fine. Please note that older phones that say AT&T Wireless will need to be unlocked if you want to use them. Phones branded at&t or CIngular do not need to be unlocked if you are using them on the at&t network. For your purposes an at&t or Cingular branded phone will be best so you don't have to program the internet and mms settings. Locked phones are usually cheaper too.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

what would you think a good price for the v3xx would be?

5. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Look at AT&Ts website for their refurb phone, the deals dont look to bad for a corporate website.

6. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

doesn't look like you can just buy a refurb phone without plan...or if you could it would be their retail price of $329 which is almost double what is on ebay.

7. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Lots of good deals on Ebay, read the fine print and see how may transactions they have had and their feed back. Make sure the phone is unlocked and it is capable of using 850 / 1900 some phones are either one or the other or both and some have the 4 major world bands or commonly called a quad band. Good luck.

8. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Their prepaid phones work with the postpaid SIM cards, if that is any help, but I don't know if you would like any of their prepaid phones.

9. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    You can get a Go Phone for cheap — right now a refurb 2610 shows online for $9.99. A quad-band refurb Samsung A437 is $29.99

10. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/209; U; en))

thats not too bad.

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    You should be able to get one for around $100 or less on E-Bay. As others have mentioned check the sellers reputation and feedback carefully.

If you have your heart set on the V3xx, couple of things to keep in mind.
    1. There are 2 versions of the phone, so make sure it is the NA version which is 850/1800/1900.
    2. To the best of my knowledge the NA V3xx is an at&t exclusive, so you don't have to worry about getting a locked phone. As Jay mentioned locked phones are usually cheaper anyway. It still wouldn't hurt to verify which provider the phone was used with it previously.

12. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Well, the NA version is the V3xx, the European version is the V3x. The V3x will experience reduced coverage in the US because it does not have 850 and will only operate on the 1900 band.

-Jay

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Nope sorry. There are truly 2 versions of the V3xx, the NA version and the European version. They both have HSDPA which the V3x did not. ;)

V3xx details.

14. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I stand corrected. I was not aware of that. Thanks Charlyee.

-Jay

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Jay, it is very rare that I can correct you on a Motorola device so I just couldn"t miss the opportunity. :D

16. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I don't know how much longer I can consider myself a Motorola addict, the Tilt is quickly changing my opinion of other phones. At this point I don't think I'd even be happy with the Q. The Tilt has the features, power, memory, great RF, and voice quality that I crave, its just the right size - not too big, not too small, and it all comes at a very competetive price. Motorola has exactly 16 months before my next upgrade to get something on the market that will entice me back.

I will say that Mom will be getting another Motorola when she upgrades Feb 28. I like the fact that I can boost the volume so she can hear clearly, and she's already used to the Motorola UI. I would not have to show her how to use the phone all over again. She will probably get a pink standard V3 if they are still on the market in Feb. Otherwise it looks like a pink V3xx is in her future.

Dad is retiring in March of next year and I think I will just put him as a third line on my family plan. He hasn't decided what he wants. The only thing he knows for sure is that he does not want another Treo. He likes the V3xx and the Tilt.

-Jay

17. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

talk about reduced coverage, I just got a brand new loaner Nokia 2610 from an att dealer in Stevens Point WI to try out the coverage. First, the coverage I am in is the cellular one area. While the phone seems to get a little less coverage bars than my alltel phone, the problem is that it had a big ole G on it. I assume GPRS, not Edge? Is all of Cellular One's area not Edge?

18. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

This is an older phone and does not have Edge on it, so you will only get GPRS with the phone, as for coverage it maybe the phone or the network in that area, maybe you can try a newer 3G phone in that area to see how the network is for both Edge/3G and coverage.

19. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    cukoz, as Fire14 already mentioned, the Nokia 2610 does not have EDGE. CellularOne does have EDGE in the Stevens Point area, also at&t has been slowly creeping in and filling up the voids so I see much less roaming around the Stevens Point, Wausau area than I did before. With an EDGE compatible phone, you will have EDGE whether you are on CellularOne or native at&t.

Hope this helps. :)

20. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

when you roam do you still see att or a different partner tag line?

21. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

Also, is that the updated faster EDGE they upgraded for the iphone or not yet?

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I still see at&t. at&t blocks seeing a different partner's tag, unless you mod your phone somehow. With my last 2 phones I can access the field test menu. which tells me which network I am on.

There are patches along I39 south of Stevens Point that there is no EDGE, I think that part is IWireless.
    I am not quite sure what you mean, sorry. There is no 3G yet in that area if that is what you are asking. The iPhone is not 3G though, so that should not matter as long as you have EDGE.

#22 charlyee, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  23. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Tom,

I believe that 2610 doesn't have EDGE not because of it's age (it's pretty new), but because of it being a lower end Nokia. It is almost four years newer than 6200, which does have EDGE. So one has to check the device specs even for newer devices.

Another thing I would like to mention is that sometimes the phones (especially Nokia and especially branded ones) will display G regardless of whether it's a GPRS or EDGE signal. I don't know of any S40v1 devices that make that distinction apparent to user and I've seen some S40v3 devices where the carrier's branding disables it — like AT&T's 6126. While supporting both GPRS and EDGE, the indicator always shows G. So unless it's known that a particular model supports EDGE and distinguishes between GPRS/EDGE on display, it won't be a very good tool in establishing the network capabilities.

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    True, my branded 6230b only showed "G". As a matter of fact, my Treo showed either "G" or "U" initially, after the upgrade to WM6 it now shows. "E" or "3G", and of course "H" when it accesses data.

25. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I've seen G, E, 3G and H on my Tilt, but its been modded. By default ATT phones do not show H.

-Jay

26. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    My Treo is not modded, except for the removal of the at&t CapPackage. It only shows the "H" when I an actually accessing data, at other times it is mostly 3G.

27. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

Att upgraded the EDGE network, not to 3g, but to help with capacity and download speeds. I know there is no 3g here, but people are saying that the tweaked EDGE is better than the regular EDGE.

28. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ok now I understand. :)

You are right at&t did tweak all their network but I am not sure if CellularOne or any of the oither roaming partners followed suit or not.

29. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    When I used to teather with my old Moto V551 I used to get EDGE speeds equivalent to an ISDN or low grade DSL line.

-Jay

30. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    That's a good way to judge the connection in the absence of a reliable indicator — by it's speed. For the most part speed will be a good indicator, although it's always possible to get GPRS speeds on the EDGE network.