Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SIM Question

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by CWick, Nov 12, 2006.

1. CWick

CWick Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    My mom, a T-Mobile customer for over two years, recently changed her plan and got a new phone. She did this in a store and had no problems, they put the old sim card in the new phone, Samsung T209 and sent her on her way.

Question, her sim was well over two years old....shouldn't they have given her a new sim? Has Tmobile made changes to their sim cards over the past two years? I know Cingular has.

Thanks in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    There is generally no need to obtain a new SIM, unless the SIM fails to work properly.

Cingular issued new SIM's as a result of their acquisition of AT&T Wireless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    And if I'm not mistaken to make 3G service available.

4. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That is correct, even though i don't think is active in some regions.

5. CWick

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    So T-Mobile is using the same sim cards as they were two years ago?

Thanks all for the input.

6. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    I had the same concerns since my original T-Mobile phone was 1900 MHz-only almost 3 years ago. But the old SIM has found 850 MHz roaming and all the new features I expect. I discussed the possibility of needing a new SIM at length w/CS, but several agents agree there is no need.

7. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    As far as i know, nothings changed. I used the same SIM for 3 years w/o issues. Ive also been through 4 phones with no issues with the SIM.

8. CWick

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Cool....then she is good. THANKS

9. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah.....i know when i upgraded my mom and i on tmobile several months ago.....they sent a SIM with my moms upgrade and i called about it and they said that sometimes the companies put SIMs inside the boxes and Tmobile never removes them....she said that as long as the current SIM is working properly....dont go through the hell of changin it........it would involve reactivating and reentering the IMEI and SIM ID......then all numbers needed to be manually copied over because Tmobile doesnt have a backup service

10. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Most GSM phones have an option to copy your SIM to the phone thereby transfering your numbers to your new SIM when you copy to SIM from internal memory.

Since this is done by the customer, T Mobile dosen't need a transfer service.

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    good point....most cell phone stores also have a small device that creates a full copy of one SIM and write it on another.....its about the size of a calculater as I saw at one store

12. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (Cingula 8125 (Thor): HTC-8100/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

More specifically it's a smart card reader/writer, you know you can build one of those for $12, I won't go into specifics of my background here, but it's the same as an ISO interface with Satellite cards, bank cards, and a variety of other smart cards. The difference is in the size of the plastic, ie the other cards have enough plastic to make them credit card size, you'll notice the filler plastic at the stores.

It's amazing how simple smart cards are, the 64k cards we have, I believe, are simple storage rom combined with eeprom, and probably an ASIC to encrypt/decrypt parts of the rom.