Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Signal Strentgh Question?

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by QueDog, Mar 12, 2003.

1. QueDog

QueDog New Member

Why do I get 75% continuous signal with SunCom(TDMA) and only zero to 50% with Cingular(GSM) and they are on the same tower?

Thanks

2. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    A couple of factors come in here. #1- is the TDMA 1900 or 800? and #2- could just be the individual phones. the signal strenght meters arent all calibrated by any standard, the are just an general representation of how well the phone is seeing the tower.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. QueDog

QueDog New Member

Both are 1900 MHZ and latest phones nokia 3590 (GSM) Cingular and nokia 8265 (TDMA) SunCom.

4. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

How do you know that Cingular & AT&T are on the same tower. Even if they are if one is at a higher mounting height the signal maybe able to get to your phone easier. Also, GSM modulates it's signal differently than TDMA. The GSM phone also will power to full power (based on signal strength) and then start stepping back (or increasing)in relation to it's distance from a site. GSM phones look at alot more information than TDMA phones.

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Differences between GSM and TDMA have nothing to do with signal strength. If it is true that both are on the same tower, then it might be that the panels are not pointing in the same direction. Remember that cell towers are usually divided into 3 sectors and one carrier may aim the antennas in one direction while another aims them in another. Maybe the Suncom antennas aim straight to you, or are higher up giving them more coverage range, while Cingular's may be lower or at an angle from your location.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. hillbilly44

bobolito, I don't think I said anything about GSM vs TDMA signal strength. I said that GSM modulates the frequency differently than TDMA. Also, an antenna (even sectored antennas) has what is called backlobe coverage, in other words you still get signal from the back and sides of an antenna's broadcast pattern. One other thing to remmeber, the antennas (panels) can have different levels of gain which determine how far the antenna braodcast it's signal.

7. QueDog

QueDog New Member

The tower is 1.5 miles from my home and it's a micro tower about 250 ft. tall. and the only one within 5 to 6 miles from me.

8. hillbilly44

QueDog, The only way you can really be sure who is on a tower is to drive up to the tower and see if you can see who's names are on the meter boxes. If your signal is that weak with Cingular I would almost bet that they are not on that one. As a future reference there is a new Nokia 6800 series phone (GSM)that'll be available around the end of the year that has great RF you might want to look into.