Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Signal needed for PTT?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by JH, Aug 15, 2003.

1. JH

JH New Member

Is it true that a PTT phone needs to receive an actual phone signal to work?

In other words,does the PTT work like a walkie talkie, or a souped up phone?

If I get no signal in my house( can't use the phone except in 1 room, and even then its iffy), I won't be able to use a PTT either?

2. orioles150

orioles150 Senior Member

My Phone:
    e815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Using your descriptions, PTT is just a "souped up phone". It requires not only a signal but a 1X signal (the high speed digital signal.) From what I understand almost all of Verizon's digital coverage is 1X so as long as you have digital signal you should be able to use PTT. So, if you have no signal in your house you wont be able to use the PTT. Basically this is how the PTT works. It sends a little packet of data through Verizon's network that is then sent to the recipients phone where they then hear it. This whole process has to go through Verizon's network thought, so if you have no service, you are out of luck.

3. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    yup. If the phones dead so is PTT. No signal, no PTT

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    but you should get relatively clear ptt even if you have a signal that is not great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Was he talking about Verizon or Nextel? Either way, you still need a network signal or else your phone is as good as dead.

6. JH

JH New Member

I have Verizon, but was asking in general.

I guess I am S.O.L. all the way around. I am paying for a plan with free nights and weekends, and can't use them because I can't use the phones at home. I can't get PTT because I get no signal in the house.

I have tried every carrier in my house and none get reception except for a very weak one if any with Verizon. They say I am just in a dead zone and won't even send a tech team to the area to check into it, stating that it is just the way it is.

7. DeathRider

DeathRider Member

My Phone:
    LG Dare
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Can you install a signal booster in your house? Repeater?

8. JH

JH New Member

Is there such a thing that actually works? If so, tell me more!!

9. Rockhound

Rockhound Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola V750 (myself)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You can buy 3-watt amplifiers and small repeaters but they are expensive - $350-$500. I would try an external antenna first. I use a Wilson Super Trucker Cellular Antenna on my pickup. Works great out here in the rural areas of the West. You can check it out at http://www.wilsonelectronics.com
    I have been off-road in places 25 to 30 miles from the nearest cell tower and have been able to make calls through my hands free setup with an Audiovox CDM-9155 and Verizon service. In these same areas I get the "no service" banner if I take the phone out of the hands free holder.

We have friends near Henry's Lake in Idaho that run an RV campground. Cell phone coverage is hit and miss at the campground. They installed one of the Wilson Trucker antennas on their store building and they get perfect signal when connected to their handsets (Motorola V60 and Audiovox CDM-9500). You can get adapters that connect the antenna to your make of phone.

I would try this first before spending a lot for a repeater or amplifier. I picked up my antenna at a local truck stop for about $50. The adapters that connect the phone to the antenna are about $15 each. You will not be able to move about your house while using your cell phone but at least you could use it. If you are like my wife and I, we really make good use of the unlimited nights and weekend minutes.

Good Luck. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like to see some pictures of the antenna on my pickup or take a look at http://www.geocities.com/ka7eii/radio.html