Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Signal Booster?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Celz, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Celz

Celz New Member

I have a T-Mobile phone that works fine everywhere but in my home. The house is on the outskirts of our small town, down on a hillside facing away from any towers. The highest point of the roof is just about level with the top of the hill.

The Internet has a lot of signal boosters for sale but I am reluctant to spend $200, $300, or $400 on a mail order device that may not work. Can anyone here offer any experienced advice? Thanks. I'm really tired of paying cell phone and land line charges every month.

2. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    If you have problem reception a repeater is probably what you need and the cost can be as much as $700. If having service inside is something you just must have that's your option really unless another carrier works inside your home. If your place is in a problem area such as a "shadow" area that's not very exposed you may not have alternatives.

3. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Since you have T-Mobile, have you looked into their UMA feature, it lets you use your hi-speed internet service like a femto-cell. If you need a compatible router, I will send you one for the shipping cost (T-Mobile's branded D-Link)

You do need a had set that works with the feature, I believe all TMO's Blackberrys do.

4. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    The only amplifiers I know of that work on AWS frequencies now being used by T-mobile are made by a company called JD Teck. Here is a link to their web site.

Cell Phone Signal Boosters and Cell Phone Repeaters | JDTECK

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Celz

Celz New Member

Thank you. I can see that I have some research to do on that site.

6. mmillard

mmillard Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Remarq
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Welcome to Wireless Advisor.

I sent you a private e-mail regarding signal boosters.
    The FCC has announced the agenda for the April 7th Commission Meeting and it is to include a Declaratory Ruling, Order, and Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) on the sale and use of cellular signal boosters.

If you can wait that long, the meeting's outcome should provide much clearer guidance on what your options will be.

7. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    No one knows what the FCC outcome will be. I feel confident that the FCC will not have the money or resources to hunt down amplifiers already owned by consumers unless they are effecting a carriers network and other end users . We are confident both lines we carry Cyfre and Maximum signal will not be effected by the ruling . Neither line has had a FCC complaint lodged against them . Speculation runs rampant and speculation is quite a few offending amplifiers will be removed from the market. In Fact the Maximum Signal amplifiers meet all new standards that are going to be implemented by the FCC and also the international PTCRB standards.
    Unfortunately for the OP we do not cover AWS frequencies utilized by Tmobile ( 1700 & 2100 Mhz ) . The maximum signal Units may in the future . If I Were the OP I would continue shopping for a solution to their problems

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. AccessoryGeeks

AccessoryGeeks New Member

I actually live on a hill too. It is hard to find reception, but I do manage to get one or two bars in certain parts of my home. I suggest you to make an investment and find a reliable signal booster online. These signal boosters do cost a lot, but they do make a good investment.
    It's either that or move & I do think the signal booster is the cheaper choice.