Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Signal Booster/Amplifiers - Palm OS Treo 650: Are They Worth The Money!!

Discussion in 'Other Smartphones and Mobile Operating Systems' started by DeeZen, Jun 4, 2007.

1. DeeZen

DeeZen New Member

My Phone:
    PALM Treo Pro (850w)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT
    Recently checked out offerings on internet. Most very expensive (my taste). Becoming tired of having to outlay 'extreme' or near-extreme "hard-earned cash" for TECHNO-JUNK !!! Buy 1 item = buy 8 more. Okay. But these devices should not need signal boosters! What's with that!!! (more greed!)

Moreso, do these boosters really work?

Awaiting Verdict's!: ;)
    Mine: :mad:

#1 DeeZen, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It depends. In some areas nothing is going to work for you, in other areas you may find that having a signal booster does, in fact, help.

Remember a few things before you buy one, however.

1. You're also going to need an external antenna and the cable to connect the booster to the antennna.
    2. Most, if not all, signal boosters require professional installation in a vehicle.

Check with the place you are going to buy the booster and find out about a trial period. See if you don't have a few days to try it out and see if it works for you in the fringe areas. If not, take it back but make sure to keep it in good condition and keep all the packaging. Find out what the specifics are for the store you buy it from and get the return policy in writing. Obviously you would want to do this before you have it permanently installed in your vehicle, if there is a way to do it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WPSANTENNAS-MATT

WPSANTENNAS-MATT New Member

Try placing your Treo in to test mode and viewing the signal outside your home.

It may be that the exterior construction is attenuating the signal and not allowing it to penetrate inside.

The test mode instructions are as follows for the Treo:

Verizon: Press #*#33284 AND dial. The signal strength
    (RSSI Value) is on the first line. To exit, press CANCEL.

There is a small RF port on the back of your phone just below the existing antenna that will allow you to use an external antenna. This is a very functional and cost effective solution as long as there is coverage on the exterior of your home.

4. DeeZen

DeeZen New Member

My Phone:
    PALM Treo Pro (850w)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT
    Thank you for your response. Really appreciated it!!!!

I agree, the exterior brick and glass block windows is very much "attenuating" the signal strength. The testing procedure also sounds like a winner.

I did conduct a test of sorts via my providers' Technical Support Rep -- received only 3 signal bars in backyard. (typically obtain 2 indoors)

Recently noticed that out in South Suburbs obtained 4 signal bars consistently. Arrived back in city area and only received 2-3 as I got nearer to home address. Not the first time this has happened, either!!

Wondering & Figured: This must be typical -OR- Earthlink's signal distribution is just not as strong in home area....for some reason or other. :confused:

While I don't like the idea of attaching anything to the exterior or running in a cable line (more drilled holes); it apparently is my only option at present.
    As far as purchasing a signal booster.....Well, let's just say, after searching the web and viewing those prices!!!.....I'm really skeptical about doing so, anytime soon!!! But I'll see what I can do next month.

Again, thank you very much!!! :)

P.S.: Starting to feel a little stiffed here - Earthlink only being a "reseller" and not a full-service provider. Thinking about just switching phone & laptop to another ISP.