Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SIDs

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by SmArTeStChIlD421, Aug 28, 2006.

1. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i know that the iDEN service is almost like a hybrid of GSM and CDMA but I have one question:

does iDEN conform to GSM and have one SID for the whole network or does it have individual SIDs for each tower like CDMA

and just a general question while i have your attention.....are the SID to alpha tag attachments stored on the phone or SIM.....Cingular put the PRL on your phone but either sets something in the phone or writes the PRL so that the phone thinks all the SIDs belong to Cingular

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    no one knows?!?!?!

btw does it have to do with the setting in:

Menu>Settings>Advanced>Connectivity>Network IDs

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    iDEN has several different organizational levels.

The global, regions, domains, urbans, service areas, location areas, and cells.

Now for Nextel specifically..

The Global group covers the basically covers the PSTN outside of Nextel.

The region (To iDEN just a large geographic area) is the United States.

The domain (To iDEN a logical division of a region) are the states. There is a system limit of 50 domains.

Then below that is the urban. Which is typically called a market by most. This would be the MTA's the country is divided up in.

Next is the service area covers the dispatch functions only. Multiple service areas can be defined in a domain and they can overlap.

Then it's the location areas. This is based off the mobile users most recent location. As you move around the different cell sites have different location areas. It's used to determine where to send the paging and call setup requests.

Lastly the cell. This is just the cell site itself.

This is where iDEN differs from each, being that it's a trunked radio system (Like Privacy Plus or Smartzone) each mobile users device has a list of primary control channels. The device scans these to determine signal quality and keep in contact with the system. When an incoming call or dispatch is received for a mobile user it's sent out over that primary control channel. Once a link is established the user is transfered to a traffic channel for the converstation or data exchange.

4. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so Nextel keeps separate channels just for technical communication between the phone and the tower....

i understand a little.....but does it have one SID for the whole network liek GSM or does it have a different SID for each channel......or does the iDEN technology not require channels???

and im half understnding that it doesn't use SIDs but rather locations of cellsites....does it route the calls based of location data and attempt to route it to the tower of last known location.....

still a little confused.....sorry