Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sid?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by jrip, Sep 5, 2005.

1. jrip

jrip Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    Anyone ever heard of SID 4358? I cant seem to find it any where. Our Sprint phones were bouncing around from 4126 to 4158 to 4358 today. All showing as on network. I know who 4126, and 4158 are but 4358 I just cant find. Any thoughts? Also I live in West Michigan, and that just happens to be where it is happening at too. If it wasnt happening on all three of our phones at the same time I would say it was/is a phone problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I don't know about NOW, but in the fifth edition of the Cellular Travel Guide copyright 1999, your three SIDs were listed thusly:

04126 Detroit MI * Sprint PCS
    04158 Nashville TN * AT&T Wireless PCS
    04358 Cape Girardeau MO * AT&T Wireless PCS

The FCC doesn't control and issue SIDs anymore (passed off to an industry group), so it's harder to know what could be happening.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    The SID list I have is from 2001. It list's 4158 as analog and tdma ATTWS NASHVILE, but it does not list 4358. And Why would our phones be showing these SIS's as on Sprints network here in west michigan? That is the part that gets me. I heard a rumor a while back that Sprint bought a bunch of spectrum from ATTWS before the Cingular merger. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

4. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That could be it. Another wierd thing was that I was picking up SID 1585 near Birch Run, MI a while back. 1585 is listed as ATT Wireless of Tulsa.

5. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    I know that Sprint and AT&T had an MVNO agreement but it was squashed by SBC because of their merger. The MVNO was called AT&T Mobile,. AT&T Mobile has co-located alot of sites around here. Almost all on current Nextel sites. I'm wondering if Sprint is going to take over and use these sites now?

6. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    roamer's website has 4158 as belonging to Cingular and being used throughout the southeast.

7. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    Then why is it showing up on our phones here in west michigan as sprints network. Along with 4358. This is the part I do not understand.

8. COtech

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Just for fun, I brought and turned on a Nokia 6160, branded AT&T. I thought the Nashville SID looked familiar. Here in Memphis it was on PCS B. The 6160 won't lock on anything today, not even Cingular TDMA or Verizon AMPS.

Wrote too soon, after four trips around the two bands, it's holding Verizon SID 00143 AMPS.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (treo600: LGE-PM325/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I could be wrong but i think i vaguely remember a thread by parthery awhile back saying that attws tdma was no longer using 4158 in the former suncom markets.

10. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I don't think that just because Sprint bought spectrum from AT&T means they will use their SID. They usually integrate it with the current network and use the current SID if that makes sense.

11. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    I understand this, but I dont understand why we are now seeing these SID's around here. Showing up as on Sprints network. Maybe just some fluke? But with all these site co-located by AT&T Mobile before SBC pulled the plug on the Sprint/AT&T MVNO. And now these AT&T SID's show up, as Sprints network, vision and RL available and all. Months after all these sites were installed. Almost all of these sites are co-located on current Nextel sites. Our phones were rotating through these SID's 4126,4158,4358 at about 30 second intervals. This went on all day. Sorry I'm just trying to figure this out. There is a few to many paths crossing to often to be an accident.

12. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    One thing is for sure: All those SIDs need to be marked as SPRINT in the PRL and it doesn't look like a mistake since Vison and RL work on all, but I just don't understand why someone would run 3 SIds in one geographic area.

13. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    It looks like Cingular has 3 networks in my area. I was playing with my new network menus I have enabled now and I noticed I appear to have 3 Cingular networks available. They are listed as 310-260, 310-410, & 310-380. Is there a chart or database somewhere that explains what these numbers mean?

14. COtech

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Jay2theRescue,

You'll find the list here at the International Telecommunications Union. Cingular operates with two of the Mobile Network Codes you are seeing, 310-380 (former ATTWS) and 310-410. T-Mobile operates with 310-260. The 310- part, the MMC, is for USA.

COtech

15. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The phone was calling the 310-260 Cingular. On the available network list it showed Cingular 3 times. When I clicked on them for more info it gave me those numbers. Is there a way to force the phone to display the correct provider name? (Motorola V551) Thanks, Jay

16. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    As COtech said that 310-380 is the old AWE network and 410 is the Cingular network that once the migration is done, all of Cingular's networks will be showing 310-410, now you could be seeing the old SunCom network, but per the link COtech provided 310-260 is T-Mobile, so don't know why it's showing as Cingular.
    As being able to force the phone to display the correct provider, I believe it's SIM or Network dependent, as for a hack there may be 1 out there to do it and I am sure someone else here would know for sure.

17. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    SunnCom didn't have any towers this far north. My brother-in-law had a SunComm phone that he bought when he lived in Harrisonburg. When he moved up here it was always trying to roam. He wanted to just migrate to AT&T, but they wouldn't let him out of his contract, and AT&T told him he'd have to buy a new phone. He said I have one. They wouldn't let him use his Sunncom AT&T StarTac on a new AT&T plan. They offered to sell him a new StarTac just like his old one for $150. He just waited out his old contract and signed up for Cingular when his SunCom contract expired.

18. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    It appears that Sprint may have indeed bought the equiptment that AT&T Mobile had co-located. Nothing hard to confirm yet. But it does appear to be so.

19. COtech

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    By any chance, is this Motorola V551 from the NYC area? There, Cingular used the T-Mobile network as part of the joint operation. Only the name was changed to confuse things. Out west in CA/NV, T-Mobile phones used the 310-170 Cingular (former Pacific Bell Wireless) network, and displayed "T-Mobile".

COtech

20. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    My original phone was purchased locally in Northern Virginia. My current handset is a warranty exchange unit and I am unsure where they shipped it from, but I would think they would set it up for the destination before shipping, in this case the DC area.

21. COtech

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Most important, can you select and register on 310-260 "Cingular" and make and receive calls? (likely not in noVA)

COtech

22. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I can log onto the 310-260 T-Mobile network, but the signal is very poor and I have not attempted to make a call while logged in. I'll try later when I'm out today and see.

23. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Update: I found an area with decent T-Mobile service today and I was able to log on and make a call.