Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Should i stay with Cingular or go to Verizon

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ok here's my situation i've been with cingular for two yrs now and i'm not completely satisfied with them but i'm also not thrilled with all the other plans out there at the moment. With my Nokia 3390 i get decent reception in certain places but certain spots in my house i get about 1-2 bars and at work i don't get any at all. I'm currently paying $48 and something cents a month for two phones. I'm sharing it with my parents. I get 300 anytime minutes, long distances and unlimited nights and weekends at 8pm. This is a really good plan considering i'm sharing with another phone. I 'm currently looking at verizon. $35 +$5 for 300 anytime, long distances, and unlimited nights and weekends. only problem is $20 for the extra line and thats a total of $60+tax all together. $48 or $65 or so. My co-worker has verizon and he gets good reception at work... and from what i heard verizon gets better reception than cingular in most places. If i sign up with Verizon now i get can a deal on a LG VX1 phone for $50 tax included, or should i just upgrade my current Nokia 3390 to a Siemens S40 (1yr contract) and hope it solves my reception problem. reception for about $15-20 more (Verizon) or upgrade to a phone and hope for a better reception (Siemens S40 with a 1yr contract). I live in California (Orange County).

oh how good is the Siemens S40 vs my nokia 3390? would it be a downgrade in reception?

Thanks

2. Guest

Guest Guest

aaaaaaahhhh man =( no one wanna give me an opinion/advice or anything? I just need some opinions .....

3. dannytle

dannytle New Member

<< Ok here's my situation i've been with cingular for two yrs now and i'm not completely satisfied with them but i'm also not thrilled with all the other plans out there at the moment. With my Nokia 3390 i get decent reception in certain places but certain spots in my house i get about 1-2 bars and at work i don't get any at all. I'm currently paying $48 and something cents a month for two phones. I'm sharing it with my parents. I get 300 anytime minutes, long distances and unlimited nights and weekends at 8pm. This is a really good plan considering i'm sharing with another phone. I 'm currently looking at verizon. $35 +$5 for 300 anytime, long distances, and unlimited nights and weekends. only problem is $20 for the extra line and thats a total of $60+tax all together. $48 or $65 or so. My co-worker has verizon and he gets good reception at work... and from what i heard verizon gets better reception than cingular in most places. If i sign up with Verizon now i get can a deal on a LG VX1 phone for $50 tax included, or should i just upgrade my current Nokia 3390 to a Siemens S40 (1yr contract) and hope it solves my reception problem. reception for about $15-20 more (Verizon) or upgrade to a phone and hope for a better reception (Siemens S40 with a 1yr contract). I live in California (Orange County).

oh how good is the Siemens S40 vs my nokia 3390? would it be a downgrade in reception?

Thanks
    >>

Difinitely go with Verizon....your reception will improve at least 3x... I was with Cingular for 4 years... I went thru a Motorola, Nokia 8290, and my last one was a Siemens S40 and the reception was spotty at best.

I switched over to Verizon last week...got a Motorola V60 on the 1000 Anytime plan which includes 4000 N+W and Free Long Distance for $55/month. I can now get reception @ home...@ work...in underground parking lots (these were places I couldn't get reception b4)

There are 2 types of plans for Verizon (1) Regional or (2) Nationwide:

(1) Verizon by far has the best BANG 4 THE BUCK right now for their Home Plan:
    a) 700 Anytime for $45 which includes 4000 N+W and FREE Nationwide LD
    b) 1000 Anytime for $55 which includes 4000 N+W and FREE Nationwide LD

(2) Nationwide (no roaming)
    a) America Choice 300 for $35 which includes FREE ROAMING in all 50 States and 4000 N+W

BTW...the wireless store that I'm currently working @ is dropping Cingular all 2gether because we're getting 2 many complaints from customers about drop calls...

Go w/Verizon you won't regret it... ( I also live in North Orange County)

4. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The America's choice isn't a true "no roaming" plan. You will incur roamnig charges anytime you're not in the red areas of the map... and sometimes even in the red if you're not on a preferred roaming partner. Their only "no roaming" plan is their SingleRate, which includes no night/weekend minutes. Also, Voicestream is launching in CA and they'll be adding spectrum so that may help. Another thing, the S40 gets no better reception than the 3390 or 8290. I'd go with a Motorola with a stubby antenna of some sort (v60 might be worth looking into). Yes, Verizon WILL have better service, partially because they're 800 Mhz and it penetrates buildings and parking garages and such better than the 1900 Mhz signal that Cingular uses. Another thing, wait 2 weeks and Cingular will have a Nokia 6340 that will do both GSM & TDMA, so that might also help out your signal problems. All that being said, if you're willing to spend the money (and it sounded to me like you didn't want to), go with Verizon. Their service will most likely be better. [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Trix

Trix Junior Member

I am on VZW single rate west plan -- AC not avail here.

I am on the 400 anytime minutes, 1000 mobile to mobile, 3200 night and weekend min.

my local calling area is the 11 western states

6. Guest

Guest Guest

thx guys.... I've decided to go with verizon. I can't beat the deal I'm getting on that LG VX1 ($50) and i'm pretty sure i'll get better service (reception-wise). Can't stand getting an unstable 1-2 bars at home and virtually no reception at work anymore..... Screw Cingular... I hope the Government kill them with that investigation.

[​IMG]

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    That is a awsome deal on the LGVX1. Hope verizon works out better for you

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Most bang for the buck?

A. AT&T digital advantage plan for $39.99 a month with 600 Peak mintues and 3000 nights and weekends minutes. If you sign up for the two year plan you get 600 peak and unlimiited nights and weekends minutes. The $36 dollar activation fee is also waived. You get free long distance and you have no roaming across a multi state calling area. (CA, NV, AZ and HAWAII)

B. Verizon 700 Anytime for $45 which includes 4000 N+W and FREE Nationwide LD How big is the Verizon area?

Looks like $5 a month for 100 more minutes. I don't think I will even use 600 a month. Does Verizon's night start at 8 or 9 pm?
    Either one is the best bang for the buck, IF you can determine who has the better service in YOUR Area. I'm in San Jose, CA and all my friends like their AT&T service here in the Bay Area.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Does AT&T use GSM or TDMA in the Bay area?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

i am also currently in the process of switching from cingular to something else, either sprint or verizon, probably verizon. glad i came across this forum while i was doing my research. ive put my time into cingular and had faith in them that they would do the things they said they would do and improve service but its gone too far. part of it is my phone (nokia 8290) but mainly the service sucks and ive witnessed 3 of my coworkers switching to sprint from cingular just this month!! i hear great things about verizon, but what is the difference between sprint and verizon? money is not a problem, i just want good service with a company that will continue improving. whats the difference in pcs vs. cdma?? sprint has the phone i want (samsung sph-a460) so if i go verizon i might have to settle for v60. any thoughts or suggestions? please respond soon.

11. Geoff

Geoff New Member

I'm pretty sure AT&T is only TDMA in the Bay Area right now. But GSM coming very soon. Can anyone verify this?

12. Treasureshell

Treasureshell Member

My Phone:
    LG Chocolate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    vzw
    I recently switched from Cingular to Verizon and I could not be happier with this decision!!!! I live in the LA area and with Cingular I get either 1 bar or no bar of signal when I am home. On top of that, I see more "SYSTEM BUSY" on my phone more than "CALL CONNECTED" during the peak hours of nights & weekends. I usually stay over at my bf's place on the weekend in San Gabriel and there is absolutely no signal at his apt. as well. Couple months ago, I received an insert that came with my Cingular phone bill talking about the multi-million dollar upgrade that they have complete to have better network/reception in certain cities. My city was listed on the insert and still 'no reception' at home. So I finally decided to just dump Cingular and went with Verizon.

With Verizon, no experience of drop calls or not being able to dial out so far, my signal at home is at full strength. Even at work (43rd Floor in Downtown LA), I get full strength of signal as well. I didn't expect to have any reception with my office being on the 43rd floor of a building but it's certainly nice to have it so I can check my e-mails (my company put up a firewall for all *mail.com sites).

Angela

13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Those analysts that only constantly analyze Boston carriers service quality only to say they are all good should stop by LA and see what's up. They should conduct tests in cities where there are troubles not in those where things are ok.

14. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    AT&T is TDMA in the bay area right now with GSM service to launch soon I think.