Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Should I get the Nokia 8390 and/or the Motorola v66?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by aiwapro, Jul 7, 2002.

1. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

First of all, I have the Motorola P280, but I really want all of the features back from my Nokia 3390, like quicker response from keys. When I do stuff on my P280, it's like the phone is thinking or something. I hate that. I only bought this phone because I wanted to experience with iStream (Voicestream wireless internet through GPRS). It is a nice phone but I think a want another Nokia. The only Nokia that I really see here in the U.S. that supports GPRS is the 8390. Does anyone out there have the 8390? How is it? Does it function great like all of the rest of the Nokias. I would be getting an unlocked one so that I could use it on Voicestream, but my other question is, how do I set it up for iStream? Can it be setup for iStream so perfect that it would be as if Voicestream actually offered the phone?

Ok, on to the V66; I am considering getting a Motorola v66 for my step-dad with Voicestream Wireless, or maybe I'll get the v66. My main question is, what's in the v66, I can't really find it on the Motorola website, it's as if no provider supports it. What's the difference between the Motorola v66 and Motorola v60? My the model # v60 vs v66, it seems like the v66 is newer, what's newer about it, I noticed that it doesn't have an external caller-id, that's a downgrade.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Chris

I have seen the 8390 in a at&t wireless stroe and It is a nice phone. (If you have not seen it yet).

V66 from everything that I know came BEFORE the V60. (BTW where are you getting the V66)

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. aiwapro

What is BTW? I never figured that out, as much as people use it.

I see users using it happily on other forums and also see them on eBay pretty cheap.

4. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

BTW is shorthand for "By The Way"

6. aiwapro

Yeah me too, but anyone else got anymore info on the 8390? I need it rather quickly as I plan to buy one off of eBay and good auctions don't last forever.

7. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    When you buy the unlocked 8390, it won't come programmed for GPRS... however if you search the forums for "GRPS settings for Voicestream" or something close to that, there's a post with all the info you'll need to put into your phone to make it work properly. The 8390 is a sweet-looking phone for sure, however I don't know how real-world performance is on it. If it's anything like the 8290, it shouldn't be a bad phone. I'd go for it, but make sure you can find the post with all the GPRS settings first, coz it would suck to go through the trouble of getting the 8390 and not be able to use GPRS.

8. mph11582

mph11582 New Member

I checked out the 8390 when ATT launched their GSM service here in New Mexico earlier this month, it is a really cool looking phone and I love that it has the standard issue, easy to use Nokia interface. I wish Voicestream would come officially out with it…I would sign up with them if they did

9. aiwapro

Hey cryogenic, those were the settings on that other thread that you responded to saying that "those settings you work on any GPRS capable phone." Right?

10. aiwapro

So guys are sure about this 8390 thing? After I put in the setting for GPRS it will work perfect right, just like Voicestream offered the phone? I need to know, because I'm getting ready to buy it today.

11. cmo429

cmo429 New Member

Im from the D.C. area and the Voicestream Stores here are going to release the Nokia 8390 soon. Many of the Voicestream stores around here already have Ads for it up. Im looking forward for the release of this phone.

12. aiwapro

Well I sent out payment for the Nokia 8390 today. I bought it for $250 including shipping. Is that a good deal?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I would prefer the v66 just because I like flip phones and I use to have it. It is so small that you can put it in your smallest pocket and still works pretty well. My only beef was the paint on the v66 chips sometimes near the top left of the phone. Also the color choices for the background is horrible. Red is so dark you can't really read anything. Orange kinda hurts my eyes so all you're left with is green. The nokia is nice but I didn't see what was so much greater about it than its predecessor except the design. Also I prefer a smaller phone and not worrying about accidentally forgettig to lock the keys on the phone.

14. aiwapro

Wells thanks everybody; I'll probably buy my step-father the v66, unless I decide to get the v60g free through Voicestream on 'Amazon.com.'

The Nokia 8390 unlike it's predecessor has wireless web via GPRS. I wish Voicestream carried this phone. They really should have picked it up. I think they are getting the v70 though, after the contract for Cingular to have it until August is over. I like that Motorola a388. If they get that and market it right, they will gain alot of cusomters.

15. mph11582

mph11582 New Member

$250 sounds like a good price to me, ATTws GSM sells the 8390 here in albuquerque for $200 and that is before sales tax and with the subsidation of a one year contract, i think you got a good deal considering all that

16. jono

jono New Member

If you're in the SF Bay Area, you can get the 8390 for Cingular through an Asian cell phone store. I went to one in Oakland today and they're selling it to me for $88 (they're out of stock though, so I'll have to go back on Monday or Tuesday to pickit up).

17. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thats not a bad deal

Try getting a 2nd one without signing a contract

Jack

18. aiwapro

Oh yeah, I forgot to post it here, but I know alot of you have noticed it in my mini-profile on the left that I purchased a Nokia 8390 and I now use that. It is no doubt the best phone I have ever had. I just love it, much better than my P280 in my view. The P280 was a nice phone and everything, but it just wasn't my style at all.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a V66. Mine is silver and black, the other choice available was blue and black with a silver outline. It's a good phone, I have no complaints with it.

It is a new phone that was just released in the US a couple months ago. THe V60 is older model.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Best But now has the v66 for $99. It look like a very nice phone. The exterior casing is black with some grey trim. The buttons are made of plastic and are grey, but I don't know if the keys light up. Seems to be pretty durable compared to the v60. Its much slimmer than the v60.

21. mongoos150

mongoos150 New Member

There is a big difference between the V60i and the V66. The V60i has external caller ID, a big plus. The V60i also has longer battery life and improved software.
    The V60i also gets a better signal supposedly. If you compare the twoin the store, Im sure you would go with the V60i even if it is a little extra money. Ive had mine for a while, and I love it.

22. howiesimpson

howiesimpson New Member

I want a Nokia 8390, if anybody can sell me via mail a new 8390 for an existing VoiceStream accout in the $100 - $150 ballpark, I'd be very interested. E-mail me

Anyway, it looks like a great phone but nobody seems to have it. VoiceStream doesn't know when they're getting it (if at all), Cingular is telling me the same, and AT&T is still going strong on TDMA in my area and doesn't have a clue when GSM is coming, so obviously getting the phone sooner is useless.

As for the V60/V66 issue, I remember seeing the Motorola "Vulcan" series phone available for a while, only it was like $700. Somehow I think the V66 was actually an old phone that was "ahead of its time" and overpriced, then the V60g came out and had more kewl features and was "just in time" to be a very popular and state of the art phone. All of a sudden the V66 was an inferior phone, so Motorola released it as an entry-level phone instead of as a high-line phone as they had originally intended.

This is just my theory, but it'd explain why the key-pad on the V66 is reminiscant of the old StarTac analogs, yet the features are decent but lack compared to the phones predecessor. This was a highline phone that missed its market the first go-round, and got released as an entry-level phone. It doesn't make it bad however, I am not personally fond of flip phones, but it seems like a very solid one with a good set of features for the price.

Sadly, by the time the 8390 comes out, I'll have probably saved enough to get a T68i [​IMG]

PS: any word on a GSM Version of the new Motorola V60i, with the interchangable covers and bluetooth?

23. spyder22

spyder22 Junior Member

stick with nokia..the v66 sucks.

24. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    why?

Jack