Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Should I dump Cingular over Roaming?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by RSaunders, Jan 9, 2007.

1. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

International Roaming is Automatically enabled w/ Cingular
    if you have a Quad Band GSM Phone.
    Say $3/Minute International Roaming Plus
    Long Distance Calling the US at $3/Min
    Plus Taxes.
    Let's say Totals to $7/Min
    and you use 200 Minutes
    to say how great Europe is
    thats $1400 easy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch

Where did you get that from? No, getting a qaud does not qualify for an automatic roam ability. Calling from, lets sy france, back home at the no discount is $1.29 per minute flat ($.99 per minutes with the discount plan). To get qualified, you have to either pass a credit check, must be in very good standing and must wait for 3 months after activating the service. If you want it now at day one then one would have to go through a full and more stringent credit check. how do I know about that, how about knowing 10 Cingular customers who had to go through this. For added support I use that my self and my roaming bills speak a lot.

3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    They do show roaming outside the US, the transmission from a ship is not the same technology and specially if the network is owned by Cingular, it will only say Cingular. I seem to recall about 6 months back a discussion about wireless on cruise ships and the fee structure (or maybe a speculation of it) was also discussed.
    I am afraid just about all the information in your post is incorrect:

!. International Roaming is an optional feature on your account that you specifically have to request and it will be enabled if all the criteria that hf1khal mentioned is fulfilled. A quad band phone has nothing to do with it. Actually when I renewed my contract to get the Bkackjack, somehow international roaming got disabled and I had to call to get it re enabled.

2. International Roaming & Long Distance are two entirely different things. Long Distance is when you call from your home area to outside of the Cingular area i.e. outside of the US. International roaming is when you are outside of the US and you call locally or back to the US. Both charges are never applied to the same call & can not be.

Just My 2 Cents :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nickybrownrn

nickybrownrn New Member

may I ask, what happened with the charges? Did you have to pay for the entire roaming charges?

I, too, am in the same position now. I have T-Mobile. I went on Carnival Cruise ship to Puerto Rico and the eastern Carribbean on 8/18/07. I have been informed that I am being charged with $1,397.20 worth of roaming. I am not sure what if anything I can do to fight this. I have pleaded with T-Mobile, they refuse to waive any amount of money. I have reported this to the Better Business Bureau. They are of no assistance. I do not beleive that I stayed that I stayed on my cell phone for 4 plus hours. My cell phone bill closes on 9/20/07. T-mobile said they could set me up on a payment plan to pay my bill between 7 to 21 days.:(

Do you have any suggestions? Please email me at nickybrownrn@hotmail.com

5. mrcamp

mrcamp Member

I was on a recent cruise too that left out of PR. Royal carrib. Adventure of the Seas. When connected to the ship's network both my Blackjack, and my wife's RAZR show "Cellular At Sea" Once the ship's NW is turned of it picks up signal from the island and shows whatever NW we were roaming on.

Our phones were already forwarded to an international sim and sometimes voicemail (when using the ship's NW) so did not need to worry about incurring roaming charges. The bottom line is, if you did not forward unconditionally, you need to turn off your phone when roaming.

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Every provider that offers service on cruise ships has a statement on their website, that you will be charged such and such amount per minute of using the service so if you did use the service, the charges are legitimate and I don't see a reason for T-Mobile to refund you either.

7. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So, what you are saying is that if you do not pick up the call whensomeone calls you, and your phone is international, and you let it go to voice mail, you still have to pay per minute?

Can anyone verify this? I was thinking about switching to Cingular (or T-Mo) from sprint because the text messaging is reasonable, ($0.50 sent Cingular/ $0.35 cent T-Mo) and cost out of your bucket to receive. I also wanted to use it for voice mail, and call back with a landline, or prepaid sim (is there any decent 2 SIM phones) at $0.50 a minute vs. $2.00 a minute.

Will I still get charged for the voice mails through Cingular if the voicemail is left while the phone is roaming? If this is the case I will not be switching to Cingular (or T-Mo, haven't decided on who yet) and stay with Sprint. I may not even want to mess with international roaming.

#37 Simon5282, Sep 20, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  8. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If the phone is on and rings while you are out of the country you will be charged international minutes for the voicemail. If your phone is turned off you will not be charged.

-Jay

9. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks for the heads up. I would not want to get stuck with a bill for voicemail, while trying to have cheap text messages. Do you know if T-Mo does this to?

Rant warning!!!Wow, that makes absolutely no sense and is absolutely retarded. The voice mail is stored in the U.S., and the routing of the message stays in the U.S. (except for when I call and retrieve it, but I am paying for the long distance, so there is no roaming.) This is another example of why the carriers suck. There is a difference between making a profit and ripping people off. I will not switch now. Sorry, please ignore the rant.

10. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Jay- or anyone else-

Do you know if T-Mobile will charge me roaming if someone leaves a voice mail when my phone is on, but I do not answer? I know you said Cingular does this, but did you mean both Cingular and T-Mobile or just Cingular?

11. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    T Mobile willalso charge fr calls ending up in voice mail while roaming internationaly.

12. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Is it possible to disable voicemail while I am traveling? Thank you for your help people.

13. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    I believe so and that would mean removing the VM feature and it would have to be re-added later. But with that if your phone rings and it goes over 30 seconds of ringing, you will also get charged the one minute increment even if you do not answer. Another thing, once you shut your phone it does not mean that you are immediately disconnected as some providers play a bit of a game and leave you registered for any where up to 15 minutes after and any calls could end up be charged too if they go to VM.

14. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Now that is a dirty trick they shouldn't be allowed to do. I guess depending on your time oversea's is whether it's better to go with a pre-paid SIM or keep the phone off as much as possible.

15. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    That trick also is active in home areas. Many whotweaked their phones to ring over 30 seconds get charged for a minute usage.

16. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I set mine to 25 seconds, I did use 30 but never got hit with a minute usage on it, but figured I would rather be safe then sorry. :p

So they like to keep you active on the network for 15 mins after shutting down here too? I don't know this is a nasty little trick if you ask me.

17. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Yup it happened to me a while back (when I was with T Mobile) It was a nasty argument between me and T Mobile. I also remember ATTW shutting some of the roaming agremeements with some internatinal providers due to this fact (they considered it fraud) as they had too manycomplaints against certain roaming providers.

18. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Yanking out the SIM card does nothing to prevent charges! If your phone is off and it has not registered with a foreign network you will never be charged. If you have registered with a foreign network you may be charged for voicemail forwarding but only if you've registered with a foreign network (which resets every 24 hours if you have not had the handset on.) Pulling out the SIM card however does absolutely nothing against preventing you from getting charges!

19. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No, the routing does not stay in the US. The service tried to find you and they found that your phone was at a foreign location. You chose to not answer the call or just let it roll to voicemail. To activate voicemail the call has to make a return trip to the USA. You're charged for the outgoing call to try to reach you and charged a return when it was unable to find you and it goes to voicemail. That's a two-way trip. Arrange to have your voicemail disabled or leave your phone off and not registered to a foreign network.

20. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It's the way GSM systems work. If you do not wish to be charged do not power on a phone in an international location. HLR is reset once a day (after midnight local time I believe.)

21. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Not once have I been charged (with the excpetion to what I said above) after turning my phone for over 15 mintues and that is with T mobile, ATTW, Cingular aka AT&T. I will give you an example, when I do a manual netwrok selection to select another network of my liking, then why is it I am not charged twice for a call that I make if I remain registered on the other one?

22. mrcamp

mrcamp Member

Absolutely! Taking out the sim card does not prevent charges. It's a matter on when the foreign network deregisters you. For example, a friend visited Nigeria, and put his cingular sim in his phone briefly just to quickly check a number that was stored on the sim. Well, somehow the Nigerian network (MTN) did not de-register him for a lomg time. He uses his phone for business so gets lots of calls. He came back to a $1700 (They charge $3.99/min roaming in Nigeria)cingular bill. Not once did he make or receive a call on his cingular sim (Or put it back in the phone for that matter). Of course, they said it was the foreign network's fault. I think he was lucky in that cingular wiped out all the charges when they saw that they were all VM calls. He easily could have been stuck with the charges.

23. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    That is when it becomes fraud on the part of the roaming provider and that is how roaming agreementsare either suspended or terminated..

24. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If you turn on your phone it registers with a network. It can take as long as 24 hours to de-register from a network. This is how GSM systems work. If you do not want any charges from foreign roaming do not power on your phone there! It is not "fraud." You just need to know what to do in order to prevent charges. Just because you do not like charges does not mean that they're not legitimate!

25. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It doesn't matter if you are registered in a foreign network or not. What matters is if your phone rings or not on an incoming call. That is the only time you will get charged for 2 minutes if you don't answer the call and let it go to voicemail. As long as your phone is off, you're safe. Unfortunately, this is a concept that a lot of people misunderstand.

The keyword here is the RING. If your phone RINGS and you are outside the US, no matter what you do, you will get charged for at least one minute of roaming whether you answer or not. Even if you disable voicemail, you will get charged for one minute even if you don't answer it. If you answer and hang up immediately, you still get charged for one minute. If you press "Ignore" or "Reject" on the phone and your voicemail is active, you will get charged for the routing back to the US to contact your voicemail. That is a total of 2 roaming minutes.

However, if your phone does NOT RING at the foreign location (because it's off, or no signal, etc.), then you won't be charged because the call gets routed to voicemail immediately and there's no routing from the US to the international location and back to the US since there was no real time RF contact with the phone. In other words, the call was not terminated. If there's no RF contact with your wireless phone, then the billing for that first minute does not kick in because billing systems charge based on call termination. It takes making real RF contact with your wireless phone at a foreign location (make the phone ring) in order to activate the billing. If the network cannot make RF contact with your wireless phone, then the network doesn't know where you are (you could be in another country or even back in the US) and the network won't know how to bill that. So that's why you can't get billed unless there's realtime RF contact with your phone so that it actually rings. If there is no call termination, there's no ring and there's no billing! Again, this is a concept that a lot of people misunderstand in these forums.

The safest way, and this is the way I've done it, just hit the Forward All command and have all your calls go to your home number. This should work from most countries in the world. That's the great thing about GSM, even network commands work across the globe! This way, you won't get any incoming calls even if your phone is powered on and registered at the foreign location!, and since your phone will never ring, there won't be any charges! However, you will still get charged for any outgoing calls you make or any text/MMS messages you send/receive. If someone calls your wireless number, the call will end up in your home number and whatever voicemail you have on that will take care of the call. If you need to call often, then you may want to get a prepaid SIM card in the foreign country depending on your needs. You will get an international number with it.

Now, if you have VoIP like I do, just setup a Forwarding rule on the VoIP line, so that incoming calls are forwarded to your international prepaid SIM phone number. You can usually do this from the VoIP provider's website on the Internet. Since your US cell number is forwarded to the VoiP and the VoIP is forwarded to your international prepaid SIM, you will get incoming calls from the US to your international location at no cost to the caller and at no cost to your prepaid SIM because in most countries incoming calls are free. As for your VoIP line, depending on your plan or service you use, there will be a cost to forward that call to your prepaid SIM number, but as we know, international calls on VoIP are very cheap these days. That's a whole lot cheaper than having your AT&T SIM accept calls directly while roaming internationally!

#55 bobolito, Sep 24, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  26. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks. You cleared up a lot of confusion. I will probably just go with a prepaid SIM next time.