Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Should I change from AT&T?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by dayrun, Jan 8, 2008.

1. dayrun

dayrun New Member

Currently and for the last 4 or 5 years I've been with the AA&T 1000 anytime minutes, 5000 nite and weekend minutes for 59.99 I gave my mom a phone so the total is $84.00 per month. I think we use about 300 minutes per month. Is this a good deal or should I look elsewhere?

P.S. My phone got wet and died AT&T won't give me a cheap replacement until I agree to a 2 year extension of the contract which I don't really want to do for a number of reasons. But if this is a good deal I would consider staying with AT&T.

I don't have much time to decide so Thanks in advance!

2. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    crackberry's
    what you get minute wise for 2 lines is actually pretty good. do you konw if your plan includes rollover minutes? or if it is pre-nation wide (as in does it charge you for roaming).

you may wanto go into your local at&t and go over your plan with a representative there. they would be glad to help you get the best option possible im sure and talk to you about a new phone.

even if you dont wanto extend your contract you can always buy a new phone to replace your old one, it may just cost you a bit more. if you have insurance, i would say use that, its a $50 dollar deductible i think and that will get you a new phone as they will have to give you something equivalent if they dont carry your particular model anymore.

hope this helps. :)

3. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    Well, with a current Family plan for you and your Mom, you can share 550 anytime minutes (with rollover), unlimited night and weekend minutes, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes, for 59.99 (before taxes and fees). If you get a new discounted phone, your line will have a 2-year contract, and if your mother keeps her current phone, I don't think her line will have a contract.

4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you decide to switch you might want to check out Sprint's SERO plans. They are some sweet deals and you really get a lot of bang for your buck. Plus Sprint has become very good in the Los Angeles area.

Sprint Employee Referral Offer

P.S. I can supply a legit e-mail address to anyone who's interested. (Provided I don't get overrun by requests which has happened in the past).

5. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    how come when i asked a sprint provider in a local mall about sero plans they had no idea what i was talking about?

6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Because they're not a normal everyday publicized offering that's being pushed at the local retail places. I wouldn't expect any of the mall places to know about them.

7. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    so lol..ok so whats that about then

8. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I think T-Mobile has some of the cheapest Family Share Plans out there, especially for low minute users. I would take a look at them, especially since their coverage in Southern California is not bad.

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yeah it is good there I am sure Larry could tell you about this area.

10. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Dayrun,
    If you have been happy with AT&T, I would explore your options with them, first. Their coverage is known and acceptable to you. Any change might be a problem, and you'll still owe the ETF.

Meeting with a rep might help, but replacing your phone is going to cost you something... it wasn't their fault. I'd say $50 is fair since that's what an insurance deductable would be. One option is to go to a discount store (Target, Wal-mart) and look for a GoPhone. Your old SIM should have survived and can be inserted into a new phone, but an AT&T store should supply you a new SIM without charge.

If the above doesn't work, and you are beyond your old 2-year obligation, i wouldn't hesitate leaving for another carrier. Any of the top carriers are worth a try.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    I agree if you Like AT&T coverage and it works for you I would look there first.

You should also take a Look at NET10 prepaid at 10 cents a min from what I have seen its it looks like the best pre-paid. If you get a GSM version from Net10 I believe it uses AT&Ts network so you should have the same coverage depending the quality of phone you buy.

Gophone is good for a large carriers portfolio at 10cents a min but they get you on another $1 a day just to use it which I dont agree with.

12. rosenthalliou

rosenthalliou Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    I say give Sprint a shot if you're in LA $30 SERO Plan is unbeatable and reception is pretty good, but for $30 you also get :rolleyes: Customer Service. T-Mobile has pretty good family plans also for $60 but I'd still say go with the SERO plan because it includes unlimited texting and unlimited data.

13. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    I wonder if dayrun (the OP) ever returned? If his price ($84) doesn't include tax, he would save with 2 individual plans at $40 each = $80. For that he would get 450 minutes for each plan, but nights & weekends and calls to each other should be unlimited. The 5000 offpeak minutes would be enough, but does it include M2M?

The GoPhone would be used with his current account, not as a GoPhone, until he is eligible for a discounted upgrade. He probably has done something by now. I wonder what?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    tmobile gives you 700 shared for 59.99 free nights after 9 and weekends and free tmobile to tmobile..no rollover but lots of min

15. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The OP's last activity here was about an hour after they created this thread. As of this date (April 21) they have not returned.

-Jay