Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Should I Buy a Phone Away From Home Area (Verizon)?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by pekoe, Aug 15, 2005.

1. pekoe

pekoe New Member

I live in Vermont where Verizon competes with US Cellular only. My friends always come from Boston with cool T-Mobile and Cingular phones that receive signals fine here.

My Verizon contract is up soon and I am wondering if I should go to Boston to buy a better phone than the phones Verizon offers here.

Thoughts?

2. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    If your friends' GSM cell phones are working good in your area, they must be using Unicel. Unicel serves all of VT, and much of Northern New England. They used to have a very good National plan, it is probably still offerred.

3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    And to add to this, you would probobly be better off going with them in your area vs going to Boston to get Cingular as your provider, since the phone # would end up being a Boston one & in the T&C's if you are roaming for more then 3 or 6 months they could cancel your service. I haven't heard of this happening with anyone, but anything could happen, especially if you use it all the time in your home area.
    If they don't have a phone make or model you like or want, go for a free or cheap one, then you can buy an unlocked GSM phone on Ebay and pop your SIM into it, then either sell or keep the original as a backup.

4. 0oLakeShoreo0

0oLakeShoreo0 Senior Member

If you get a number elsewhere, make sure you find out where you can get your phone completeley serviced outside the area code, especially if you're going to spend most of your time out of state.

I had a midwestern number for a long time and then, upon coming to college many years ago, realized I couldn't get Verizon to service my Verizon phone b/c it didn't have a local area code. (If someone wants to explain this to me, I'd love it!). AND, THEN I had problems at home after I switched my number to Boston and THEY couldn't help me at home!

5. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile: Nokia6800/2.0 (5.58) Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

T-Mobile (on 850 MHz) and Cingular both roam on Unicel in Vermont.

I found their coverage excellent all the way up I-89 back in April, with my T-Mobile phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...