Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Setting up ChangJiang A968 trouble

Discussion in 'All Other Brands of Wireless Phones' started by woodprairie, Sep 24, 2008.

1. woodprairie

woodprairie New Member

Hi,
    I am trying to get a third party cell phone from ebay from Hong Kong to work on our unicel account. My son broke his phone, bought this one, thought it would work, but gets "no service"
    Here's what we have done: (the instruction book is all in chinese). I am getting attempted help from the seller in china but he has given up on us I think. Here is our progress:

My son put his old sim card in the phone (his sim card works in my phone) and gets "no service"

I asked to return the phone and the seller is very helpful. He replies:

Maybe there is wrong of the phone setting. Input: *#3646633# , just like calling, then you can setup the frequency. It really is a Quad-band phone, it can be used worldwide. I hope to solve this problem before you send it back.
    ________________________________I replied:
    I dialed the code and changed the Band select from AUTO to 850/1900. We still get no service. Where do we go to select Quadband?

__________________He replied:
    Thanks for your help. It support quad band, but only support dual band at same time. so you can select which band you want. And there is 2 SIM slot, can you try to put the SIM to another slot. Thanks again.
    ____________________I replied:
    Thank you. I moved the sim card from the top to the bottom slot and tried a call but it said "Emergency call only"

I do not understand what you mean by "you can select which band you want". Do I need to select Quad band somewhere, and if so, how do I select it? Thank you

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    When the phone displayed "emergency call only" that means that the phone found a network, but it was a network that you were unable to roam on so it is only allowing 911 calls. have you tried the phone in different locations?

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. woodprairie

woodprairie New Member

we havent tried different locations. We farm and this is where we need it to pick up service. We tried US Cellular 12 months ago but they couldnt pick up all over the farm so we returned the phones and went back to unicel. Is there another reason to try other locations?

4. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Just to see if it will work. It is possible that the phone is not seeing the network where you're trying to test it. Its obvious that it sees some network as it is displaying Emergency Only.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. manufn619

manufn619 New Member

hi im new here
    i also have a similar problem ,with the same phone, i have a t-mobile sim and i put it in the both slots however, i always get no service.

6. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If multiple people are having the same problems with the same model phone then its probably not compatible with the US phone network for some reason. I usually don't recommend purchasing phones overseas, especially models not available here for that very reason. Its hard to troubleshoot a phone that nobody in this country is familiar with.

-Jay

7. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    The English user manuals are here (not that it helps all that much)
    Index of //manual

There may be two issues here.

Some versions of the phone are quad-band, but I have heard that some of the Chinese phones (not sure about this one) only have one quad-band slot, the other is not. The manual does not state this about the bands, but it does show that some features only work with SIM A. That would explain the Unicel problem (Emergency Only) if no SIM was in the quad-band slot. Try the other SIM slot. The user manual says you can change the A/B SIM in software, so it is worth checking that out too.

Some versions of the phone are strictly 900/1800 and will not work here in the states. That could explain why a Tmo SIM would not work.

8. woodprairie

woodprairie New Member

going to have to send it back. What do you recommend for a rugged phone with good teen options made in the usa? he is on his own budget, so it cant be a ton of money.

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Motorolas are usually pretty tough. My sister's kids break Nokias and Samusngs quite quickly, but the Motorolas seem to last. I gave my niece one of my old Motorola V551's a while ago to my 13 year old niece and she hasn't broken it yet. The TMO verison of the V551 is the Motorola V330 if you're interested.

10. woodprairie

woodprairie New Member

Now my postmistress tells me phones may not be shipped to China. Think he knew that?

11. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Even when the country of origin is China? That sounds crazy.

-Jay

12. woodprairie

woodprairie New Member

I am going to try to return it, unless someone wants it. we paid 150. going going , gone...
    Restrictions for mailing to china say (IMM restrictions) no " radio receivers, transmitters or receivers of all kinds, walkie talkies and parts thereof;... radio sets, tvs,
    Unless someone here wants it, I am going to declare it as a "telephone" country of origin china, and hope for the best.
    you would think if they meant cell phones, in this day & age they would have said cell phones.

13. icegrl320

icegrl320 New Member

Hello I have a tmobile sim card and it says "No service" on it also. Has anyone found a way to wrok it? Really like the phone just want to get the phone to work. Any help would be nice. Thanks:)

14. manufn619

manufn619 New Member

what color phone do you have ?
    if you have the black version i think it may not work
    since the goldish is quad band

#14 manufn619, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  15. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    You may want to look at the new Samsung Rugby - Its a new rugged flip phone phone sold by AT&T.

-Jay

16. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    No, don't declare it on the customs form as a telephone, that's inaccurate. Declare it properly as a "Lop of steaming dog sh*t" ;)

17. vinitaros

vinitaros New Member

After entering this code *#3646633# , then I have pressed another sub-menu (but couldn't remember what that was). It said "It is automatically power off the phone"... Form that message warning I can't switch the phone back on. Appreciate your prompt response. Thanks in advance.

18. DBrown

DBrown New Member

would like to no how to set up phone for data service.

19. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    There's no point in trying to set up the phone for data service when it won't work on any carrier in North America.

The phone is 900/1800mhz only. No 850/1900mhz bands, which are needed to work on U.S. carriers.

You can only use this phone in European countries and other locations that use the 900/1800 band.

This is why earlier posters got "No Service" when attempting to use the phone in the U.S.

20. DBrown

DBrown New Member

just would like to say THANKS!