Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

service issues

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by glencocoo, Mar 31, 2007.

1. glencocoo

glencocoo New Member

I just moved to DC and I still have alltel from when I was in Ohio.. Could this have anything to do with me having to press the * button several times before it goes to my voicemail and loud beeps that I hear while talking on the phone?

2. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    The 'beeps' are a reminder you have voicemail. I know when I am out of state and I go to make a call, I get a loud 3 tone beep and it is to let me know I have VM.

3. glencocoo

glencocoo New Member

They are not a reminder that I have a voicemail.. They were much louder and during the middle of a conversation

4. Shockwave13

Shockwave13 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V9m RAZR2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel =)
    Do you have the roaming tones turned on with your phone settings? just a thought... You may not be roaming with your plan but all the phone knows is that its out of the local area for its number... and that setting can cause tones...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Yeah you are free roaming on either Sprint or Verizon in DC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

If you have moved to DC sooner or later you will be forced to drop Alltel. Alltel doesn't provide service in DC, and it will be noticed that over 50% of your calls are no longer in your old service area. At that point they will push you to a market transfer...but Alltel doesn't provide service there, meaning they will make you drop service with them.

It may take a bit, but Alltel WILL notice this.................

7. livspop

livspop Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I don't believe this will be the case. While other carriers, like Verizon, can be Nazis about the 50% rule, Alltel traditionally is not. I will be surprised if he hears anything from Alltel as long as he pays his bill on time. In fact, I have a friend who moved to an out-of-market area due to a job transfer and Alltel wouldn't let him out of his contract because they offered free roam all over that area. While they retain the right to axe you if you roam more than 50%, they won't.

8. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    livspop really hit the nail on the head about this. It's not something that Alltel really worries about at all. For the past 8 months or so I've been logging in about 95% of my more than 3000 monthly minutes outside of my native market (although still on Alltel) and never been pushed to do a market transfer. It's a really good way not to be a long-distance phone call away from family. But then again, I also have 4 other lines on my account that always stay in the service area. But I also know quite a few people also in the situation of moving out of native markets but have never heard a word from Alltel. Alltel must still make a profit off of most of these customers so by and large it's not something they worry about like any of the other providers.

As for the voicemail and hitting * several times, I have to do that on occasion. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the network (Sprint in DC) or if it has something to do with being outside of your home service area.

9. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

You've been lucky. I take calls all day long helping retail stores do market transfers. These are supposed to go to Retail Activation, so if I get 10 or so of these a day, imagine what the numbers are for the RAC. Yes, Alltel is more ____ about this than you think as it costs them a FORTUNE to continue to let people who have moved out of their old market into a new one roam.

They haven't caught you yet. They will.

10. livspop

livspop Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Nope. You're wrong. You're just simply wrong. Why are you trying to scare the guy?

Roaming agreements what they are these days (especially since the switch to Sprint as the primary) it doesn't cost Alltel a "fortune." It's barely more cost prohibitive to them than a line operating on their own network.

11. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Or in my case just to another Alltel market. I'm going to go out on a limb and say me and glenoco will be just fine staying with Alltel with our current numbers. ;) I'm not trying to be antagonistic to you bikebryan or anything but a lot of these people probably prefer a market transfer to keep a local number or other reasons. I know a lot of people that Alltel hasn't let out of contracts for moving out of service area and I always hear stories about Alltel clinging onto their customers that go to Va Tech or Univ of Tennessee and staying with Alltel all 4 years. I know other people that have moved to similar cities for work including several that I know in DC. So keeping a customer that only uses Sprint must still be profitable or it would just be so strange for Alltel to be so ____ about clinging onto those customers that only use free roaming service.

12. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I agree that transferring from an Alltel market TO and Alltel market has lower priority. However, moving from an Alltel market to a location where Alltel has NO market is much higher on the priority list. That does set them back a fortune in roaming costs. What they charge the customer for roaming comes nowhere close to what the company is charged. That loss is offset by service fees but not completely covered. If you are on a NF plan just because YOU don't see those charges doesn't mean Alltel isn't charged for them - they are and it does cost them a ton.

Alltel will catch up to those who move to areas where they don't have service - it's a matter of time. I know this is true, as I work for Alltel and deal with this on a daily basis. You can believe they won't if you want, but I know otherwise.

13. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Alltel's 50% rule is for actual roaming, out of you home area is not roaming and Alltel could care less what towers your using as long as they are thiers, UFO will never be a problem since he's still in an alltel market...heck they let me sign up with numbers not in my market, i'm always shocked to see the razr's triangle not blinking.
    roaming on sprint or VZW, probably just depends whether thye are making money from you or not...if you have a tiny plan and gobble up 10000 n/w minutes a month not on their network you will probably be gone sooner or later

14. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Alltel does care, whether in one of their markets or not. If you move to another Alltel market but don't change to a new number in the market you are in it DOES cost them. They do maintain wireless towers, but they pay others to transport the LD portions. If you have an out-of-market number, it hits their tower, then travels across a third-party wireline market to the switch that services THAT number in your old market, across to the number you called. That transfer from the Alltel tower to the switch that handles YOUR incorrect market number costs them Long Distance. You may not see the charge, but it is still charged against Alltel. They just don't pass it on, but eventually WILL catch it, get tired of paying it, and force the market transfer.

In the case of the post I originally replied to, he has moved to a market NOT served by Alltel. That means ALL his calls are roaming, which he is likely not charged for since he is on a NF plan - but Alltel pays that bill even if they don't pass the cost on to him. Those charges add up very quickly, the WILL catch it, and if he has truly moved there they WILL cancel his service.

15. livspop

livspop Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I hope he posts back if and when they do. Cuz I'd bet my left nut they don't, and that's the only one I have left....

16. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Wirelessly posted (E2: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-Zir4; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

i dont claim to know exactly how it works but i doubt they route my call from here to a local # through any more connections than if i had a local #. Plus when friends call me from the old market alltel makes $ on the interconnect fees coming to them...I guess i just dont see how im costing them any more in the long run. i agree 100% roamers may get the boot....but if 3 different alltel stores and tech support etc dont care im not gonna worry about it

17. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I do know how it works. What I described is how it works. It WILL be noticed and eventuall those switching markets WILL be caught and WILL be made to change markets and phone numbers. Those who have moved to an area NOT serviced by Alltel WILL be caught and WILL be cancelled.

18. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Wirelessly posted (E2: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-Zir4; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

as i said i agree with ya on the out of market's. as for me being noticed...umm ..not hiding anything, I specifically asked if it was a problem. So when i make a call from OH (where i live now) to OH Alltel routes the call through MI (where i'm from) then back to OH incurring charges? or from whatever tower im on to the number. What does it cost them for an incoming call to me now from MI? thats gotta be cheaper for them then if i had a OH number and took advantage of my free long distance instead of just having my freinds call me? Just asking cause you KNOW

19. livspop

livspop Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Like I said before, don't lose any sleep over it. You're not gonna get cancelled. Even the guy in DC really has nothing to worry about for a long time. I'm not gonna play the "I work for Alltel and I know how it works" card, but let's just say I have it on good authority that terminating exisiting customers is not a priority for Alltel right now. I notice the poster who is telling you the sky is falling is allegedly posting from somewhere in Kansas. Let's just say my info comes from Little Rock. You can rest easy....

20. dehaven.j

dehaven.j Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8130
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    as far as i know verizon actually doesn't have this rule. i have had them for almost a year now and 80% or more of my minutes are used on us cellular. they have never said a thing. i don't think alltel would say anything about the roaming either.

21. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    So how is it that a call to 911 reaches the local dispatch in proximity to the cell site rather than the the local dispatch in proximity to the switch that services your number?

Just curious. Is it routed differently for an emergency number?

But then whenever roaming, why is it that calls can take up to a couple weeks to appear on your bill? If the calls originate at the switch in this massive, not well-planned loop (not to say that it doesn't happen), wouldn't minute tracking online and on the bill be able to be up-to-the-minute like a pre-pay system. It just seems much more efficient as often as it happens that the call would originate from the tower and then just update the system periodically on calling activity.

And for the op in DC, it's not something Alltel is focusing on now or in the near future. And it'll be something they never focus on in any way unless they're consistently losing money by holding onto the customer.

22. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    I agree, this is not a priority. But I have seen it done once in almost 3 years. However, this customer had been out of an Alltel market for a long time, had really high usage, and was sent a letter letting her know. So, for the most part, I would not worry about it. If it does become a problem, you will get a letter in the mail warning about it. And if you do have more than 1 line on the account, then any that are in an Alltel market or if they don't have as high as usage, will not be affected. A few downsides to being out of an Alltel market is that you will not have the ability to update your phone's PRL if the roaming agreements change and a couple of the new phones can accept OTA software updates. Also, there will not be a store nearby to visit if necessary. But most things can be done either online or over the phone.

23. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I"m not losing any sleep, I mean I never tried to "trick" anyone, I really am just curious as to how it works. I mean I would not think any less of alltel if they started warning the 100% roamers or even booted them, or even if they sent me a letter saying they wanted me to change my number but I do think it would come down to a cost analysis, I'm paying 80 bucks a month, if I only cost them 60 (pulling numbers from my butt) I don't know why on earth they would care...now if I'm costing them 100 bucks a month then why would they want me and allow me to port an out of market number?

24. livspop

livspop Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I'm not a doctor, but I would highly discourage you from putting numbers in your butt in the first place, much less pulling them out by yourself....

25. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    haha......lol :lmao:

26. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

911 calls are routed straight off the tower into the wireline network servicing it, so yes, emergency calls do work differently.

Roaming is another matter. Alltel bills roaming when it is billed to them. Most the BIG carriers - Alltel, Verizon, and Sprint - send out their roaming out usually weekly, at least. Smaller carriers may only run their roaming bills out once a month.

27. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

8,0 & 1 arent a problem but you gotta watch out for 4 and 7!

28. livspop

livspop Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Yeah, I suppose 1 might actually be kind of fun, depending on your likes and dislikes.....

29. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

i have 4 phones, 3 of them NEVER operate in my home base area. the 4th probably has at least 50% use outside the home base. and the rep knew what i planned to do when she sold me the phones.

30. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If the phones didn't work where you need them to you should have taken them back and cancelled service durring the trial period. I think Alltel's period is 2 weeks. If you are outside the trial period you either need to buy an amplifier or pay the ETF and go elsewhere for service.