Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

service in Ithaca, NY

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jun 5, 2002.

1. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Ahhh, that really sucks!!!! They shouldn't be able to!!!! Let them build their own GSM network like Voicestream did.

2. DaCurryman

DaCurryman Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey Jason (DoDo) is that you!? =)

Anyways, as I just graduated from Cornell this past May after 4 years, I have had a phone and also seen friends toil with their service. Jason's recollection of cellular history in the Ithaca area is correct.

A close friend of mine has/had cingular service and could only wait to get rid of it all senior year. I would call from my phone from his living room while he was in his room and I wouldnt get through. Their service gets hindered greatly by building in Ithaca which is the main reason they have so many problems with service on North Campus.

Sprint & AT&T:
    While some people probably have their service in Ithaca, there's a very good reason why most people don't. Cause it just plain sucks! I'm sure it's great for metropolitan areas like NYC, but for the boonies of Ithaca, they are just not the way to go.

As Jason said, Voicestream does get service up there and people choose it because of the price of their plans and the number of minutes you get. However, with no offense to Jason, your service with them is hit or miss. Some people like Jason, don't seem to have problems with them and everything is fine. But others like my friend Rich, would get dropped calls all the time and many times it was tough to get through to him.

I, myself had and still have Verizon service. It was great because I would have continued coverage whenever I would drive back and forth from home in NYC. As for North Campus, even Verizon has difficulties. I worth up North this semester and couldnt get calls while I worked. Even though I worked less than 15 feet from the building entrance (and the building was all glass), I would have to go outside to barely get a signal. However, that small area of North Campus is the only place I've had problems with Verizon.
    You also have to remember that Ithaca is a stranded city in the middle of a triangle formed by bigger cities like Binghamton, Buffalo, and Syracuse. So a drive to/through any of those towns would require you to go though a small towns that get little or no service. And from my experience, Verizon gets the best service in those dead towns.

Of all my fraternity brothers and all my friends, I would say that over 75% of them have Verizon service in Ithaca. But even as I'm promoting them, remember that Jason had a good experience with VoiceStream and so if anything, I say use both companies worry-free guarantees to test them out if anything. Anyways, I hope that helped.

~ Ketan aka DaCurryman

P.S.: If you have more questions feel free to AIM me at DaCurryman