Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

service in Ithaca, NY

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am in the process of selecting a provider and phone for my daughter, who will be attending school in Ithaca. We currently have Cingular, but am concerned about the service there. Looking for a good phone with national service. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    According to Cingular.com they do cover the Ithaca, NY area. If you are currently happy with Cingular in your home area you may just want to stick with them. A Cingular Nation Plan would be good for her no roaming and no long distance charges across the US and on select plans you get 3,500 bonus night and weekend minutes.

Cingular Wireless

3. Guest

Guest Guest

cingular's popular w/ the cornell kids
    for frosh initiation week, they gave out kits with coupons to get cheap 3390 handsets...
    but, i'm told that the signal is not that great.
    verizon has the best wireless coverage of the ithaca area. but since you're on cingular now anyway, might as well go for their plan.

4. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

he is on cingular, but his daughter isnt with a provider yet.........go with verizon first, then sprint next.......from what i have heard about that area those are the top two providers as of now

5. Guest

Guest Guest

sprint has no gsm tower / no service in ithaca. uh-oh, spaghetti-o!

verizon is good... although you can "family plan" the cingular (possibly) and save some money

6. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Wouldn't Cingular GSM just roam off of Voicestream? Why not just get Voicestream? Cingular has many problems with completing Long Distance calls across their networks. They barely have a GSM network, so maybe this won't be the case this time.

Voicestream Wireless

Voicestream Wireless - Nationwide Coverage Map

Voicestream Wireless - Nationwide Rate Plans

What area are you in right now? I can give you a map that shows if you daughter will have continuous coverage if she is driving, but I need to know what area she is driving from.
    By the way, on the Voicestream website, it has "Itaca College" aswell as Ithaca in it's city listings for New York, so this ensures that she will have coverage on campus too.

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Have you decided on which service you will go with

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

It would be helpful to know where the parents are located, to see if they are in a Cingular GSM or TDMA area. Cingular in upstate New York would currently be TDMA, which would be a good match if the parents' home area is also TDMA.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Being Ithica is well into the center of New York, I would recommend a provider which has consistant coverage all throughout the state as opposed to just a stretch of highway and within Ithica's City Limits. Without a doubt, Verizon or Cingular would be the obvious choices as opposed to any GSM provider.

10. aiwapro

Voicestream's GSM is more established than Cingular GSM or AT&T GSM. Voicestream is the #1 GSM provider in the U.S. In fact, Cingular will be sharing Voicestream's GSM network in New York, once they launch.

11. aiwapro

NO AT&T/VOICESTREAM ROAMING AGREEMENTS. AT&T has nothing to offer Voicestream.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Voicestream's GSM is more established than Cingular GSM or AT&T GSM. Voicestream is the #1 GSM provider in the U.S. In fact, Cingular will be sharing Voicestream's GSM network in New York, once they launch.
    --------------

We are refering to Cingular TDMA, not GSM. Why would someone in the middle of New York State sign up with GSM? It's kind of ludicrous if you ask me.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

It's easy to talk when you don't even live in Ithaca ... sure, spout your propaganda "Blah is USA's #1 blahblah carrier"...

Cingular is mediocre, but all right - good rates. Verizon has the best service. There is no AT&T in Ithaca, although AT&Ters use their phones from home just fine. THERE IS NO VOICESTREAM DEALERSHIP AT ALL IN ITHACA. AT ALL. You have to go to Syracuse, which is one hour away. If you need to service the phone.... what, an hour away both ways??

14. aiwapro

Well once you go to the Voicestream store to activate service, you will have no other reason to go back. Voicestream handles everything through their Customer Service department. You really don't have to go to the store at all, because you can sign up through customer service too.

15. IdiOTeQnoLogY

<< sprint has no gsm tower / no service in ithaca. uh-oh, spaghetti-o!

IDIOTEQNOLOGY: (i dont know why it put my reply in italics)
    ********sprint has no gsm towers anywhere, they dont use gsm. but they do have cdma towers up in ithaca, so yes they do have service in ithaca, uh oh spaghetti-o dont choke on your pasta!!!....however if u are travelling off the beaten path verizon/cingular/ or at&t would be a better bet as you can use the analog systems in place with no roaming charges********

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks to all for your info. We decided to stay with Cingular, because Voicestream, although the best coverage in the area, does not have a store in Ithaca, and my daughter won't have a car. I was concerned that she wouldn't be able to resolve any problems without traveling to Syracuse. Also, Cingular's new national calling plan is a winner... definitely the best for the money. If fact, we all switched over to the new national plan. Unfortunely, the choice of telephones is very limited, but we chose the Nokia 3360, bought the lithium battery, and like it so far. I also called most of the other companies, and Cingular was the only one that I got thru to a customer service person in a short period of time. I hate to wait 20 minutes on hold...in that regard the other providers were a real turnoff.

17. aiwapro

I am tryingt to tell you, that the store won't be able to solve any problems anyways.
    Even if something goes wrong with you phone, the store can't do anything, you have to call customer service @ 1-800-937-8997; And they will do a handset exchange where they send you a new phone, and then you send them your defective phone back in the box that they sent you, and put the pre-paid mailing label that they sent you on the box, and you are all set. You will never be without a phone.

18. IdiOTeQnoLogY

that is not a good thing. that the voicestream store couldnt do anything for you. so if a phone is broken you have to wait for it to come by mail-i like doing things in person and immediately.

well when i had a problem with my phone i walked into a sprint store-came back 1hr later and they told me i needed a new phone and they had already transferred all my phone numbers and settings into the new one and i just watched the rep program the new phone with my # and i walked out with it right then fully working phone......i kinda like that system.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree. Cingular sent the wrong lithium batteries with our phones. I just went down to the local Cingular store, exchanged them, and was out in about 5 minutes. When you're a college freshman, mailing a package is a hassle (never mind finding the right tape), and I'm trying to keep her life as stress-free as possible. The biggest advantages for us were the new national plans and the short wait when I call Cingular customer service. I called for help 5 times (I got confused) when setting up the new phones, and never had to wait more than a few minutes. Also, I think that in the near future most phone services will have reasonable coverage most places. Thank you to all for your wonderful help and advice.

20. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    always glad that we could be of assistance.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  21. aiwapro

Well accessories for the phone are different. I had a bad battery in my phone and I just took it to the Voicestream store and they gave me a new one. It even had more capacity, 900mah instead of 700mah. That's a big difference when you use the 'vibrate' feature alot.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

just remember one thing
    voicestream has HORRIBLE coverage in ithaca. garbled, crackly... just... horrible. my friend smashed her voicestream nokia once because the clarity was so bad.

vzw is the best for ithaca, with cingular "up there"..

as for the guy who said sprint works in ithaca? think again... so many people i know from the city are unable to use their sprint gsm phones in ithaca. :&lt; !

23. scarman

scarman New Member

Sprint doesn't use GSM[​IMG]

24. aiwapro

This anonymous poster doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Sprint does not use GSM. They use a 1900MHz CDMA signal.

25. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm a student at Cornell Univ. and am typing this from Ithaca right now. Here is the history of wireless service here in Ithaca...back in the day (4 years ago) there was only 2 providers - Frontier and Cellular One. Since then, Verizon bought out Frontier and Cingular bought out Cell One. Hence those are still the two best providers in the area b/c they've been here the longest. However, you CAN still use Voicestream AND Sprint AND AT&T here. But, VoiceStream has no service on North Campus dorms, Sprint is just started to spread out their towers in the area so their reception isn't that great yet, and AT&T roams on Cingular towers.

Stores will not help you once you're already a customer and in fact the workers are quite rude around here. But if it makes you feel better, there is a Verizon store here as well as a Cingular store (the old Frontier and Cell One stores) AND a Sprint store (surprisingly). The Sprint store just openned up a few months ago b/c they're getting ready to launch full Ithaca coverage sometime in the near future.

Best Buy just openned up about a year ago and they sell VoiceStream service with phones so if you get it from there with their warranty I'm sure you can just go in to get it replaced. Much easier than having to deal with sales reps of the other companies who only want you to sign a new contract so that they can get paid.

If I were to rank order the signals it'd be:
    Verizon (North Campus Coverage)
    Cingular (Partial North Campus Coverage)
    VoiceStream (No North Campus Coverage)
    Sprint (Weak signal now, but is launching very soon)

You really can't get ATT unless you're on the NE regional plan b/c Ithaca is considered Roaming on the National Network plan. So if you want the NE regional plan then ATT ranks on par with Cingular since they share the same towers here.

I actually just graduated so I've had a cell phone for the past 3 years...Cingular's CS sucks here so I'll never get them again, been with VS for 2 years now and like them a lot...the No North Campus dorm coverage doesn't bother me b/c only Freshmen live there so I'm never there. Ironically, I'm thinking of getting Sprint by this month's end even though their signal is the worst now. My reasons are:
    - They will lauch very soon
    - Nice phones, Cheap prices
    - Store in mall
    - Decent plans

Its a touch choice tho...I was heavily considering Verizon b/c of their best reception, but I'm a phone kinda guy and the best phone Verizon has in my mind is the V60 which is too over played and still extremely expensive. The reason I'm canceling VS is b/c I need a new phone. [​IMG]

Hope my post helps. If you got more quetions just ask...I'll be here another year for my Masterz.

Cheers,
    Jason

26. aiwapro

How long have you had Voicestream? Just talk to Voicestream's disconnection department and see what they can do. They will reason with you. I know people who git the $300 v.60 for $50.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]My Verizon phone has fluctuating signals; sometimes i have 2 bars, sometimes 1 and sometimes none all in the same location where I'm Standing[​IMG]

28. scotty

scotty New Member

cingular only roams on gsm in new york, the surronding areas cingular uses tdma, which would make her cingular gsm phone useless out side NY, go with voicestream for ithaca, most minutes for the money, no roaming no long distance.

29. aiwapro

I didn't think Cingular GSM customers could roamed on Voicestream GSM all across the U.S. There would be no reason for Cingular to even build up GSM then.

30. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    They can

Jack