Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

service in Boston

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ok, Jun 23, 2002.

1. ok

ok New Member

My son will be attending school in Boston(Harvard) next year, I was hoping that someone familiar with that section of town could give me an idea of serice and coverage available. We live in central NJ, if that is needed information.

Thanks for your help

2. scotty

scotty New Member

Hi, service in boston is not a problem for any carrier, thought it can vary. id personally stick to voicestream due to the fact that it is the only GSM carrier in boston, so you wont run into any problems with network congestion. Also the no roaming or longdistance charges will save you money, and he will get more minutes for the money. As far as a phone i would pick up a samsung phone from voicestream as it is the best for reception in my opinion! You can go to the website to find a dealer in your area!

www.voicestream.com

3. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

I'd go with Verizon...its a much better service and if you were to travel anywhere in the country one day, even next year, it will work great. Voice stream is on the GSM network (like Cingular) and its not as good ans where I live (here in NYC), some parts are really bad and I know many people that don't like VS.

Verizon is your best bet....America's Choice Plan!!!

4. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

I have roamed a lot on voicestream in boston (i.e. used their network a lot) and I found it really good. No problems in the city and surrounding suburbs, indoors as well as outdoors.

5. scotty

scotty New Member

Personally joe, id prefer to stick with a company that delivers everything they say they will plus MORE. you truly GTE MORE with voicestream just like they say in the commercails-------Verizon on the other hand if i recall this little commercail where this guy runs around all of the us using his phone, many of the areas easily recognizable, i know for a fact that you cant use any cell phone there: I know this, BUT the average consumer does not- this leads them to beleive that the phone will work everywhere--by the time they find out different they are roped in to a self renewing two year contract and cant do a thing about it. these are deceptive Bussiness practises. you should in the future try to just recomend things to people using your experiances versus telling them what their "best Bet" is

6. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Scotty,

I travel a lot and get great service with Verizon. Yes I admit the commercials are ridiculous....like the guy in the jungle or the desert, but I've had verizon for 3 years now and its great everywhere. I used to have voice stream and some of my friends have it now too, and have nothing but problems with it. Service isn't that good, especially where we live and you can not go everywhere in the 48 states with it. With Verizon, you get all the major cities on the AC Plan. VoiceStream is not offered in all states, even in major cities and you will encounter many DEAD spots.

7. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Also, with Voicestream, make sure there is going to be a digital signal where you travel because if there is no digital signal you have a paperweight.

8. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I am going to have to still recommend Voicestream. We all know that Voicestream doesn't have coverage everywhere, but they do have it in many places with a license to build coverage in 97% of the U.S. population. So if they don't have coverage in a certain place, than they always have the option to build it.

The bottom line is that if Voicestream has service where you need it, then that is all that really matters. Who cares if they don't have coverage where your friend or anyone else needs it?

9. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    I would recommend Verizon over voicestream.

10. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I agree with you Chris. If a service works for someone then they should go with it

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. scotty

scotty New Member

Well if you do alot of traveling in rural areas, perhaps verizon would be a better choice in the respect of coverage. we all forgot about the question at hand- Who is the best carrier for this guys son in boston, for voicestream you can go 30 miles away from boston in any direction(except in the ocean and not run into coverage issue's. with voicestream he will receive more minutes features and services, for less money with no long distance or roaming fees. and with minimal dead spots in boston-due to VS's very strategic tower placements, he will really save a lot of money and enjoy the service and its benefeits.

12. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If he is going to be driving back home for the summer, breaks, and etc... Verizon may very well be a better choice as coverage between the city's is most likely going to be much better with Verizon. However if he sticks mostly to the Boston metro area and fly's back and forth from NJ then VoiceStream just might be fine then.