Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SERO w/ no roaming questions

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by JasonWells, Jan 6, 2007.

1. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    I have taken interest in the Sprint plans that have no roaming with the use of a tri-mode phone that can force roaming. I had the opportunity to play with two sprint phones last night. In Mankato, MN they both were operating on sprint SID 4155. I selected the force roam and they operated on midwest wireless SID 1372, with great reception. In our rural area, keeping a strong and/or usable sprint signal can be difficult. However, using midwest wireless, or another carrier in other rural areas usually will have great signal results.
    SO...if one uses a sprint plan with no roaming, and gets a tri/quad mode phone and keeps it on forced roaming, will it always be able to use the other carrier free of charge? If so, what a good deal for our rural areas! And then when in an area of good sprint signal, take advantage of it. Will the phones stay on forced roam until switched off? Will sprint eventually send a letter not allowing the customer to continually do this? Thank you.

2. sheureka

sheureka Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    I assume by "no roaming" you mean "no roaming charges." And assuming that, technically Sprint can tell you to knock it off if you're using more than 50% of your minutes roaming. Practically, in the 4 years I've had "unlimited" roaming I've never heard of anyone getting such a letter - and I frequent all of the Sprint forums. So I think it's a pretty safe bet you'll never hear anything from them. - sheureka

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    Thanks sheureka-
    Yes, I meant no roaming charges, oops. So, technically sprint can send a letter if 50%+ mins are used roaming, but they don't enforce the policy. That is nice, and certainly is a nice carrier to have a roaming agreement in every market to make certain customers have coverage plus allowing them to force the phone to roam! I have been very happy with Alltel and don't have plans to change. Yet, if something unfortunate happens with a possible sale of alltel, it is nice to have a secondary plan to keep great coverage.

An area rep for alltel told me to watch sprint, as it may really take off in the next 2-3 years. When I used sprint in 2004, the plan allowed for on-network usage only, and roaming was analog only for an add'l cost of $10/100mins. It was bad. But in 3 years it appears sprint has improved. Thanks for the clarification.

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I love the idea of being able to force your phone to roam so easily also and not having to pay any extra to be able to use that signal. I wish all providers had that option. Maybe other providers will add it in the future. I know all about NAMs and being able to force my phone onto a roaming signal, but still, the option makes it so much easier.

It seems like Sprint is in a bit of a downhill turn though at the moment, I just hope when things 'pick up' in another 2-3 years they don't revert back to their old ways and start throwing roaming SIDs out of the PRL as Verizon is now doing. I think it is something they will eventually consider if that feature is used too often or their roaming revenue paid to other carriers continues to grow to a very high amount. I would also consider a Sprint plan if I could be assured that they weren't going to handicap the feature in the future. I'd be SOL then because I have so much family that lives in areas only covered by Alltel so I suppose I also a feel a little like I should give my business to them. But I still love that feature.

5. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    UFO-
    Where can I learn how to mess with the NAMS and force my phones to roam, etc?

6. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Unfortunately, I'm really not sure on the model of phone that you carry. There are some other members on the boards who either have access to that information or know more about it than I do, XFF and Strunke come to mind as good sources that can generally find out this information. It might be worth it to send them a PM or start a new thread on it.

Most of my knowledge and sources I have saved are related only to the Motorola E815 and V262 because they are the last 2 phones I carried and I have found these threads and documents to be particularly helpful:

Pages 2-4 of this thread but it's based on Motorola
    Field test mode and programming
    Also just use the search feature on Wireless Advisor for NAM2. There's a lot of talk on it and you might run across one that even explains it.

They might help get you access to the NAM where you can mess around with NAM2. There is also the concept of changing the Home SID on your phone and then setting your phone to home only. You only need to know the number of the SID you're trying to lock onto from PRL interpretations. You should be able to access the home SID setting the same way you access NAM2.

Hopefully I've at least pointed you in the right direction though but sorry I'm not sure how to go about it for your specific phone. Once you figure it out though, it should be a way to lock onto another signal if you wish, though it's not nearly as easy as just selecting 'roam only.'

7. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    OK, sorry for the delay but I also found this thread where Strunke talks about changing NAMs

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/verizon-wireless-users/57069-help-please.html?

If you use the field test mode guide to get into the programming menu, I think they instruct you press *3001#12345#

Strunke's instructions should help guide you the rest of the way depending on the SID you're wanting to test out.

8. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    WOW UFO-
    Thank you for all the info and help!!! I very much appreciate it. I have changed the 6015i NAM 1 settings to what a verizon phone had and selected 'home only'. It didn't do anything differently. It stayed on SID 1367 and 555, and just flashed 'roaming', lol. I will continue to follow the directions and suggestions. Again, thnk you so very much for the help!

9. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    The information was GREAT! Thank you!

Even though the 6015i doesn't respond to switching the SID's and such, the 2865i has been very receptive!! First, I put SID 1372 (MWW) and then at a different time 4155 (Sprint) in the home SID. Switching it to 'home only' made it work on the SIDs selected, and it would revert back to SID 1376 (alltel) when on 'automatic'. So, if I know SIDs of an area, this may be beneficial!? Every SID was listed at 0. But if the triangle is flashing, it is ok to use I think.

Also, I put my # in the MIN for NAM2 and selected it. I enabled NAM2 and disabled NAM1. It works! Interestingly, using NAM1 and selecting from menu 'settings'-'network'-'roaming options', the two options are 'Home Only' and 'Automatic'. When using NAM2, the roaming options are 'Home Only', 'Automatic A' and 'Automatic B'. This is neat! If using Auto A, it uses SID 1367 (alltel) and Auto B uses SID 1372 (midwest wireless)! Would the phone work better if I use NAM2 all the time and use A or B, whichever works best? What if both NAM 1 and NAM 2 are enabled at the same time?

Question-when in the programming at CDMA settings, under 'Network Code', it lists 27. What does this mean? All the values for preferred SID/NID are 0, and the forbidden SID/NID are all 0. For the AMPS settings home SID is 2004, Access method is set to 1, out of options 0 & 1. Which is better? The Local option is also 1, from values 0 & 1. What do these mean? In the 6015i they were set at 0.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!