Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

sending SMS 2 europe

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

this was talked about before but i don't think i got a definitive answer. i've been trying to send an sms to europe and none of them seem to arrive there (spain and switzerland). however, my friends can, and have, sent me sms from these countries. has anyone had success with sending and sms to europe from the us? if so, how did you do it specifically, and what cellular network do you use? i've called voicestream a couple of times and they said that they don't guarantee sms service to europe. if i have gsm service and so do my friends, should it be able to send it to them? thanks. any help/advice would be appreciated.

2. EasyE

EasyE Junior Member

Last year I rented a GSM phone for my travels through France, Belgium, The Netherlands, and England.

I was able to receive SMS from people in the U.S. who browsed to

http://www.uk.lycos.de/services/sms

and entered my London mobile number as the recipient. It worked 75% of the time, but I can't be sure there was no user error at the sending end!

3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Can you successfully reply to an SMS from your friends?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Does it says "MESSAGE NOT SENT". If it does you did not program your phone for text messaging. You have to program it otherwise it will not send.

You need to make sure that the message center number is programmed correctly in your phone, the message center number is +12063130004, you want to program this under message settings/message center number.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

i can't just hit reply to the sms that i receive from those 2 countries. i checked the service center number like you asked and it looks correct. any other ideas? someone posted something about turning on international roaming. does this sound familiar?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

you can call cs at 611 and ask them to activate global roaming. But make sure there's a plus (+) sign on the message center number.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

also under
    Menu
    set 1
    Messages sent as
    select Text

This is for a Nokia phone