Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SE Walkman W580i (Internet)

Discussion in 'All Other Brands of Wireless Phones' started by AshRae84, Jun 14, 2008.

1. AshRae84

AshRae84 ...Formerly YourDream84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)
    My nephew has a SE Walkman phone from AT&T, he keeps getting into his internet (I'm not sure if it's intentionally, or just accidental hit the button, then close it, because his charges aren't THAT high).

My aunt called AT&T and they told her for him to keep his texting plan they CANNOT turn off his browser, she's asked me if there's anyway I can block the internet on his phone, does anyone know?

Is there a way I can delete the browser server info or something to just keep it from accessing MediaNet altogether?

Thanks Guys,

~*Ash*~

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Absolutely -

He just needs to set up another data account - a dummy one - within his settings menu/connectivity tab for the internet. Define it as "packet data" (not CSD), but don't fill in any of the other information. Then define this new data account as the default internet access point. (Don't change the java application or streaming access points - only change the internet access point.)

This will prevent the MediaNet button on the front of the phone from connecting - yet I can still use e-mail, MMS, etc. without any issue. I can't attest to IM, as I don't believe I've ever tried to use it on the W580i.

I've also set up a directional key shortcut to toggle back to the "real" MediaNet access point when I want to easily turn the MediaNet button back on for browsing access.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need more specific directions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    On Motorola phones you can lock applications. I locked the browser on my Mom's old L2. I don't know if SE has the same capability...

4. hme83

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Wirelessly posted (Nokia E70-2: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es70)

That's how I handled it on my Cingular branded L2 as well. :)

Unfortunately, the W580i does not allow you to lock individual applications. :(

5. AshRae84

AshRae84 ...Formerly YourDream84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)
    Thanks hme, that's exactly what I did, and he can still text, but gets an error message if he accidentally pushes the Media Button.

Now his mother won't have to kill him. :p

~*Ash*~

6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Good thing for him haha:browani:

7. hme83

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    You're welcome. :) Glad he'll get to see another day. ;)