Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SE T637 with GSM 900 but no GSM 850??

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by surya, Feb 10, 2006.

1. surya

surya New Member

My Phone:
    SE T637
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    First time poster, impressed by the depth of information here.

I am about ready to tear my hair out, hoping this forum will save my scalp! I purchased a new (in-box) Sony Ericsson T637 from an eBay retailer. I really liked the T68i, and do not have complex phone/data needs. In fact if my T68i were not stolen I'd be happy with it. I really like SE's free synchronisation tools where I press one button on my MS Outlook and I have all my contacts and calendar reminders on my phone. So I settled on the big brother of my little T68i, the T637.

So... the phone I received looks new and works. But, some features don't work (POP3 email, MEdia Net) and signal strength is patchy. So I got into the Service menu (>*<<*<*) and the Service Info/Configuration menu says "SAT On GSM900 GSM1800 GSM1900" and the firmware version is R5A023.

Does this mean my T637 is running T630 firmware? Shouldn't it read GSM850 GSM1800 GSM1900? Is the version right? Would this explain my inability to use POP3 and uneven signal? I am familiar with setting up SE phones and have manually set up T68 and T616 phones for data without problems. I also tested my SIM in a Moto V551 and POP3 works fine.

More generally if there is a T637 user here, what do you think about the phone? Thanks much.

-SG

2. surya

surya New Member

My Phone:
    SE T637
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    PS: I live in Manhattan, NYC. I use the phone in the tri-state area, Jamaica, Africa and India.

3. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Not sure about the f/w version & freq band info yet, sounds like ya may have ur hands on a EURO version. I have a T637 someplace, i'll try and compare to mine for ya. Will try and let ya know what mine says.

In the meantime, as long as it's SIM is activated ya should be able to use the SE site to have the proper data settings for your provider automatically SMS'd to ur phone so ya don't have to go thru all the manual button pushing to configure it manually.

Do that all the time on SE & Nokia sites. comes in handy for sure as I hate setting up email accounts, etc manually too.

4. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Being this phone is using the 900 band over the 850 it is a European version and that is why your having coverage problems in the NY area, you would be better off with either the 850/1900/1800 for here & abroad or go 1 step better and get a quad band phone.
    As for your MediaNet, POP3 and other settings, you will need to manually set them up since this isn't a Cingular branded phone, but may still have problems due to the lack of 850 coverage.
    I would suggest if the seller has a return policy then go with that, if not then resell it on Ebay & get a different model.

The SE Z520 is a quad band and may be a better choice for you, if you check out the Sony Ericsson forum and see the post Charlyee did on this phone it may help you decide if it's right for you, she seems very happy with it.

5. surya

surya New Member

My Phone:
    SE T637
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Thanks for the helpful information. I will follow up on the Z520i.

My basic question is, does the SE T637 come in a GSM 850/1800/1900 flavor or was I ripped off (the eBay listing stated so)? And does it support POP3 email? Again, this phone is a replacement for my much loved T68i that did POP3, bluetooth, XTNDconnect Outlook synch, GPRS data modem (56Kbps), WAP... in 2001! If I had not been mugged I would still have that phone and be happy with it. I am just looking for a replacement of those features, not an upgrade, not a power phone user like most of you folks.

If there is a T637 owner here that could answer the GSM frequency and POP3 question I'd be much obliged. Thanks,

-SG

6. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If this phone is the European version it should still support POP3, at least according to SE's web site. I couldn't find the T637 but checked the T630 from the UK and it say's it supports POP3.
    It does sound like you got a European version, you can go to SE's site to research more on the phone & the settings.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=pg1&zone=pg

Hope this helps you out some, since I don't or never had this phone I can't give you any other information.

7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello there, according to Phonescoop the T637 is the US version of the T630, and so does have 850. Both the T630 and the T637 have POP3, like Fire mentioned.

Is there any chance you got the T630 and not the T637? That's the only reason that I can think of for not getting 850?

Here is a comparison from Phonescoop:

T630 & T637

Hope it helps.

Good luck :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

have a 637 on my desk, and yes it's 850/1800/1900

why i said i'd double check what mine said, forgot about i,t but will try and remember to check it to confirm, on the off chance that it's really 850, but indicates 900 in test mode as indicated above. But yeah,. if he's having trouble in an area with 850, it's obvious that's the reason.

9. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Confirmed, no doubt in my mind now, u have a euro version t637.
    My T637 says GSM850/GSM1900/GSM1800 in the service menu,
    with S/W R3A025.

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The euro version of the T637 was the T630. I am thinking he got a T630, they are almost identical in looks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

agreed, but wouldn't it say t630 somewhere?
    wonder what gave him the impression that it was a T637, the ebay ad maybe?

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It should either on the box or under the battery, but it sounds like the ad on Ebay stated it was a 637 (false advertising), and this is what the OP was thinking they got.

13. surya

surya New Member

My Phone:
    SE T637
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Thanks WhosUrBud, Charlyee and Fire14 for helping diagnose.

The phone hardware is almost certainly T637 - says so on the label under the battery, it has the Cingular label (U.S. market) and has a dark gray faceplate. Every picture of the Euro T630 I have seen is white. But the service menu says GSM 900/1800/1900, firmware R5A023. How is this possible?? Can a T637 be running T630 firmware, would it even operate in that case?

Here is the eBay auction - http://tinyurl.com/c5gew - let me know what you folks think. Thanks,

-SG

14. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It is possible the software is the wrong version, per the sellers feedback it seems at least 1 phone ended up being an Asian version and the seller seems to be resonable on working with buyers, try contacting them to see if they could exchange the phone for a US version, explain to them it appears to be a European version phone with 900/1800/1900 and it won't cover you without the 850 band.
    I think they will do an exchange since it's been a week.

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I agree with Fire14, contacting the seller would be the only way to go. The specifications clearly say the phone to be 850/1800/1900, even though it is the just the standard verbage from the T637 page. To answer your question, yes the T637 can operate with the T630 software, I actually know of one other instance where that happened but with a Nokia phone.

Unfortunately it looks like the auction ended on 1/15/06 and the seller policy clearly says you have to contact him in 48 hours, so he may not accept responsibility any more but it is always worth a try.

If it does not work out you can try re-selling it on E- Bay to recoup some of your cost. Seems like like you have a unique phone there; a T637 with T630 software/firmware and if you state that clearly, and are willing to ship overseas, there may a few buyers.

Good luck and let us know how you make out......:)

PS: I am not sure if you are aware www.plemix.com, but this is a good place to get unlocked and unbranded phones. I recently got my Z520i from them.

16. surya

surya New Member

My Phone:
    SE T637
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Unfortunately I have tried contacting seller every possible way including email and phone, with no results. They insist the phone is a T637, which is true! And they disavow any knowledge of the T630 firmware on it, or how to fix it. Already tried initiating a claim through eBay, which sent me to Paypal, which responded by saying as long as I got a product in the mail, they cannot force a return/refund. So you can buy a Porsche on eBay and if the seller sends you a Yugo Paypal is happy. I guess caveat emptor of eBay transactions.

I really like the phone. If it just worked on 850 and POP3/SMTP I would keep it. If there is any way to update the firmware to T637 please let me know. Thanks,

-SG

17. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    I would not try to sell the phone on e-Bay, for overseas use. The firmware has disabled the 850 Mhz band, and it wouldn't run 900 Mhz anywhere, since the circuitry isn't tuned for that. There are places that will update the firmware (usually the ones that also offer unlocking services - try Google), but you would either have to send the phone to them (safest-not cheap), or buy a T28 Service Cable and log-in to their servers remotely (for an extra fee), or buy a Terminator Dongle and software on e-Bay and do it yourself (somewhat tricky procedure).

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Oh ok I was not aware of that. I am glad you pointed it out. On my Nokia it was a regular 900/1800/1900 that was marked with the suffix "b" which designates the NA models.