Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Scitel Wireless

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by neilson, Jan 11, 2005.

1. neilson

neilson Member

http://www.scitelwireless.com/

^I'm amased such carriers still exist in the USA. I mean in Montana or Alaska I could understand, but NEW JERSEY?!?!?!? Give me a break, someone needs to tie this company to a tree and put it down Old Yeller style!

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    We talked about that a while ago ;) I think this is the provider that only sells analog phones. :)
    Andy

3. gohabsgo

gohabsgo Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless, ATT Wireless
    Totally agreed. Did you see those PHONES they were offering? So 1996. Luckily for us Garden Staters, this company is only in Sussex County (extreme NW New Jersey). In general, wireless coverage there is simply AWFUL - apparently due to their refusal to be bought out...

4. kai445

kai445 New Member

My Phone:
    v60s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    God I wish Cingular would take over their towers so badly. SO BADLY.

I used to live in sussex and the coverage there is, well, horrible. Everyone has Verizon cause thats the most reliable alternative in the sussex area.

I'm gonna switch to Cingular when my contract is up in April and drive all over and see how much signal I get. (I'm currently a VZW customer and agent, but absolutely detest them).

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Scitel sells the Motorola MicroTac and the Startac! It has such amazing features such as:

- Signal Strength Indicator
    - Battery Meter
    - Removable Battery
    - Wall Charger
    - Bright red 10-digit LED screen
    - 99 Number Storage
    - Vibrating Option!

What else can you ask for in a cell phone? Amazing! :D

http://www.scitelwireless.com/getintheloop/phones.pdf

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ahhh the old Sussex County monopoly, Sussex Cellular in a different coat.
    They have been the biggest thorn in wireless companies sides, since they don't want to work with any National carrier. If you ever look at coverage maps of NJ you will see the upper left hand corner of the state with little or no coverage, that is because of these 2 brothers in that area.
    I want to see them in 2008 when Analog gets shut off by all the other carriers.

7. Dm112084

Dm112084 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    The best anybody can hope for is that these guys go broke soon. If they wanted out of the business they would have sold themselves off years ago. Clearly as long as they have money and customers, they have no intention of exiting the wireless business.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    And they're refurbished too!!!!!

9. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost

The phones or Scitel?

10. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Oooooh! BATTERY METER! =)

11. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

Cingular should offer them a leather briefcase for the company, and be down it. And Dobson could up them with a couple dollars in it.

12. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    i still like the old startacs!! such a great phone for the time.

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    But then again, look at it from the buyer's perspective: which company wants to invest in an obsolete analog-only network for a market with only 150,000 POPs? I agree Cingular should buy them out, but will they do that just to put scitel out of their misery?

14. Dm112084

Dm112084 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Realistically, Cingular should do it because they would not only acquire the current customers, but may even be able to convert existing VZW customers in Sussex County as well. It would also give Cingular a cellular license in every county in New Jersey. So from Cingular's perspective, it is valuable property. Hopefully by the end of the decade, Scitel will be bought out by either Cingular or Dobson.

15. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My question is how many customers do they really have? And how exactly are they remaining in business? I mean, it's an analog-only network using 10 year old Motorola StarTac phones that nobody in their right minds would want at this point in time. I don't see why or how anyone could even consider signing up for new service with them given all the other carriers that are so much better. I guess the only problem is that their only other option would be Verizon and Verizon isn't exactly cheap. I would guess that their customer base is the type that never leaves Sussex County and doesn't use their phone much.

Plus their website looks like something the owner's 12 year old son might have done.. it was done using imageready to make "slices" and image maps.. and then everything is in PDF format. horrible!

16. Dm112084

Dm112084 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Their target demographic is lower-class whites who are looking to save money and never leave Sussex County (at least 60% of the county probably fits that demographic). Since their only real competitor is Verizon, it's easy for them to attract potential customers who fit that category. Their customers know the only alternative is to spend more money for Verizon, so they probably just suck it up and live with using crappy phones. If you drive around Sussex County, you can still find people chatting on bag phones in their pick up trucks.

17. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    so I take it Sussex Co is not one of the higher class richer areas of NJ, eh?

18. Dm112084

Dm112084 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    The part of it near Morris County is pretty expensive, but the further north and west you go, the poorer it becomes.

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's right. Sussex Co. is just like another country altogether. I know people that live there that have NEVER been to NYC! and are afraid of it because it is too noisy/crowded. They rather stay away from civilization.

But if you look at their rate plans, Scitel has unlimited plans very cheap. So that's probably what keeps them from being swallowed by competition.

20. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    We actually have a couple of counties like that around here so I know exactly what you're talking about... I find it kind of amusing that they're not even THAT far from NYC yet they've never been there. I did notice that ther rate plans are pretty cheap. But if you add on all the extra features to get nationwide long distance, then you're talking $50 a month and you can get a VZW plan for that kind of price. So I guess it's all about your needs.

21. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    One has to wonder when they'll hit a capacity wall with their unlimited plans. ;)

Sussex has said in FCC filings they want to go CDMA -- probably just to make Cingular mad ;) -- but have no money to do so. I personally think that E911 requirements will force them to either go digital and go broke, or fail to comply and get fined to the point of going broke, unless the FCC grants them a waiver or someone comes out with an E911 solution for AMPS. (The former is quite possible -- I believe they've already granted waivers to Commnet and some Alaska carriers because of number-of-sites and cost issues -- but the latter probably won't ever happen, no matter what Sussex keeps saying. The fact that other carriers in areas with similar pops, geographies, and demographics (Farmers Wireless in Alabama and Ramcell's Kentucky and WNC systems come to mind) have gone digital and have no issues with E911 really doesn't help Sussex's case one bit -- IMO, Sussex utterly buried themselves with their endless roaming hardball.

-SC

22. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well, the sooner they're somehow put out of everyone's misery the better if you ask me. They can't really go on THAT much longer the way they're going, I don't think...

23. SpaceGhost

SpaceGhost New Member

My Phone:
    Kyo 3250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AllTel
    Don't be surprised if Alltel swallows this one up. Perfect roaming opportunity and would help with that little att/cingular acquistion the recently got up in that area.

24. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I actually think this is what the other carriers are waiting for, These guy's have been a thorn in every carriers side since the 80's & they know how bad other carriers want that area & were probobly holding out for more $, only the carriers don't want to give them the pleasure of offering them good $ for the license's & will wait for them to go bankrupt.
    If i remember Verizon had tried to work with them way back & they didn't want to work with Verizon & that started the fights.

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular didn't get much of anything in that area from the merger. They only got a 10Mhz PCS license from AT&T plus they are keeping another 10Mhz from the T-Mobile sharing dissolution.

26. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's hard to tell if they will ever hit the capacity wall with a population of just 150,000 people in the entire county.

27. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow.. that's it? and you know only a small to medium percentage of people there are going to have a cellphone. Even on an AMPS system, they may still very well be able to support enough users.