Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Say goodbye to free tethering with sprint ev-do

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Yankees368, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Well, it was only a matter of time until this happend:

"Registration failure. your pcs vision username and/or password may be incorrect. Please try again. Note: Repeated entries of an invalid password during a 24-hour period will result in a 20-minute suspension. A suspended vision username may not be used until the suspension expires, even when submitted with the correct password. If this problem persists, you may need to contact sprint."

Sprint is now enforcing tethering on ev-do devices, you now must pay for this feature. :( :( :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    HURRAY! Less than a day into Sprint kicking us off EVDO tethering, there is a way around it:

Modem NAI Disable Procedure
    To disable the secondary Modem NAI, go to Menu > Settings > Display, and press 0 to access a hidden menu. Enter 040793 as the security code. At the following menu, scroll to Toggle NAI and chose Off Modem NAI, followed by OK. Then power the phone off immediately. When you turn the phone back on, Modem NAI will be disabled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    This will only work until the next firmwar update is released. But do not worry I hear there are a few permanent hack's in the works to solve this problem.

4. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Tethering is stealing!!

I have an EVDO laptop card and pay $60.00 for unlimited service. Why do you think that you should get data services for free, especially high speed data services? It is about time that Sprint shut-off this service. :nopity:

5. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well, I already pay for a voice plan and data plan and together with my 3 lines, we pay over $110 a month. It's not free.

6. Steven2420

Steven2420 World Champions Baby!!!!!

Way to go Yanks, we pay enough for all this crap. They have no right to charge double for things. I pay for unlimited internet, and all the bells and whistles, and that cost me $130 per month. People should be righteous in their homes, not on boards!

7. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Unlimited Internet on a phone or a PDA is much different than unlimited Internet on a Laptop because you can download gigabytes of data on the laptop. You are most likely paying for unlimited internet on a phone or PDA, not on a laptop.

8. Steven2420

Steven2420 World Champions Baby!!!!!

Jim,

I have NO desire to get into a flame war with you. You are assuming allot. When you look up unlimited in the dictionary, it says this...

Main Entry: un·lim·it·ed
    Pronunciation: -'li-m&-t&d
    Function: adjective
    1 : lacking any controls : UNRESTRICTED
    2 : BOUNDLESS, INFINITE
    3 : not bounded by exceptions : UNDEFINED
    - un·lim·it·ed·ly adverb

Please read number 3 carefully. As quickly as technology is advancing, we will all be able to download 100's of MB's on our phones real soon. I can download over 5MB per day easily. Are you some sort of champion for the Cell Companies. So, tell me, just because I pay for electricity at my house and office, if I plug my laptop into a plug at the airport, they should send me a bill for that. If I download a 12MB file waiting for an overpriced flight, hoping I don't fly into a building, they should bill me for that. Please get real, unlimited is unlimited, NOT BOUNDED BY EXCEPTIONS!!!!

9. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I tether maybe once or twice a month during the event that my LAN goes down, and it is a very valuable asset. Unlimited means unlimited. If sprint dosnet want you to tether, they shouldnt even give the option in the phones. The part that I dont understand about your agrument is that I am infact paying for it, more than you!

10. muzzin

muzzin New Member

I completely agree with Steve for a number of reasons. First, the US is ranked 24th in the world for broadband deployment. The last time I checked Qualcomm and RIM own about all the major patents on cellular data technology in the world, yet Korea was the first to deploy CDMA technology and now they can surf wirelessly at 10s to 100s of MB per second - 5 years before US. There simply is no way to argue that we haven't been screwed here in the US by the telecom companies. Plus our laws are set-up to prevent competition.

Now personally I don't like to cheat, but it's not like the telecoms aren't begging us to do it with the exorbitant fees. And as far as getting great customer service for those high fees..... well in most cases it's a complete joke.

For example I just fired Cingular for terrible call drops and no loyalty discounts. For signing a new two year agreement, they'll discount the phone. Anyone with a brain can do the math, the cost of the phone is in the contract. So I get nothing for signing up for the two years. How about we do what it takes as customers to force the telecoms into the Eurpoean model where you buy a phone then get the service separately. If we had real competition here one of the major companies here would have done that long ago.

Second, How about getting phones with features/services (and limitations) we want. I just purchased an HTC Mogul. My intent was to not use the PCS network but use Wi-Fi only for data. Per Sprint's admission you can shut off data in a PLAIN phone's settings but there is no way to shut it off on the PDA......NONE. Oh yeah you might be able to temporarily trick it, but for me this lasted about 10 minutes. Then the PDA actually reset the settings for the Sprint Network after I had just deleted them. Then I changed the dialing rules (per Sprint's instructions) to add a '1' to all phone numbers to fool the device to dial the wrong number. That didn't work. Then I deleted the entire Sprint Network settings from the configuration screen. Guess what.......It came right back. So after getting charged $11 for less than a week of unintended data usage with more to come in my next bill, I have very little sympathy for the Wireless Ho's.

BTW I have more than 20 years of computing experience and if I can't disable it, and my friend the computer analyst can't figure out - Joe user is going to get hosed.

I did find out today that Sprint can internally set accounts to NO-IP or BASEIP which shuts off all data on the phone (apparently with the exception of text messaging.)

If anyone knows how to cut the legs off the phone's data dialing I'd sure appreciate a heads up.

I will be looking for registry entries that can decapitate the data functions.

Best wishes

-Hed

11. dkcharger

dkcharger New Member

I'm trying to tether my Lap top to my Sprint Touch Pro, I was wondering how you do this? I do have an unlimited data plan. Currently I am able to tether by opening a PIE window prior to connecting w/ wmwifirouter. The only problem is that I get disconnected every few minutes.

I found another thread where a specific dll file was deleted from the registry to fix this:

Originally Posted by luv2chill View Post
    OK I've poked into things a bit more and yes it seems Sprint is up to no good in regards to tethering. Those of you running Sprint ROMs should remove the following registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
    "Extension"="rilphone.dll"

This seemed to work for many people but there is no rilphone.dll in wm 6.1 in its place is isext.dll. Someone suggested I delete it but I'm skeptical. what do you think? How do you tether?

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i think i have to agree with Jim on this one......

the thing is though Sprint should advertise better.......like unlimited phone data.......laptop data extra

it is very difficult to download gigabytes of data on a phone but on a laptop that has limewire running.....peace of cake

the point is when they declare unlimited in the plan details they are planning and building their network for unlimited phone usage.......no unlimited laptop usage......of course i do agree with Yanks that $60 is severely overpriced considering the speed........i got 3 Mb/s DSL at home for $30 and Sprint is giving my 1.5 Mb/s tops for $60.....thats a rip

13. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My problem is that Sprint won't even allow customers to add phone as modem to ANY of the family plans they currently offer if those family plans also include data...even if it is not an "everything" plan.

I have 4 lines on a talk/message/data share plan and I cannot add PAM to any line...for any amount of money. And I will not buy a mobile card and tie myself down to a 2 year contract for mobile broadband, so as a result, Sprint is losing potential imcome.

14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah that's ridiculous........

15. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    The original thread is a couple of years old... but I guess not allot of things have changed. Initially Sprint was planning on controlling tethering via the user name and password model, however when 1X first launched the details killed them and the saw they were losing lots of money on tethering. It's always been about the revenue, and protecting network integrity... for every carrier... They are all for-profit companies, and I'm sure they are probably just paying off the initial 1X upgrades, and will start to work on the EVDO and REV A upgrade bill's over the next decade or so... I don't understand why people think a service like REV A Evdo is not worth the $60 they ask for it.

16. badtux

badtux New Member

I just tried to sign up for a new Palm Centro. There was no more separate voice and data plans -- they wanted to force me to purchase a combined "phone and data" plan. And there was no option for tethering. I tried a few other phones and got the same general result: No more tethering.

It appears Sprint has given up on tethering altogether and is no longer offering it. I wonder what is going to happen to old customers? Will their tethering be turned off as their contracts expire?

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    if people keep resigning the contracts they cant turn it off but if people let their contract run out and they go month to month then yeah i think AT&T can do whatever they want

18. badtux

badtux New Member

Yep, looks like Sprint has disabled tethering on existing accounts that had tethering once the contract runs out. Just tested it on such an account, nope, no tethering anymore. Looking on their web site, searching for "tethering", finds it only under "business services" and says "call representative".

Goodbye, Sprint. Hello, iPhone. If I am only allowed to use my phone to access the Internet (no tethering), at least the iPhone has a good web browser rather than the cr*p on Windows Mobile, Crackberry, or Palm.

#18 badtux, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  19. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    ehhhh Crackberry does a pretty good job actually....it's Internet Explorer Mobile that sucks

20. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That's why I use Skyfire & Opera. Opera now comes standard on the Diamond & Touch Pro

21. snachip

snachip New Member

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    I tried this below and now i can use "internet Sharing" on my HTC Touch Pro (sprint+ unlimited data plan). before i got that lame username and password crap. now it works great and connection speedtest.net results are at the moment:

Download speed : 2413 kb/s
    Upload speed : 466 kb/s
    Ping: 98 ms
    ISP Sprint PCS

*** good luck and have fun, and let God judge us!****

Just make these registry edits first:

1. HKLM/Comm/InternetSharing/Settings --> ForceCellConnection

Change the value from "Phone as Modem" to "Sprint"

2. Navigate to HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing and delete the key: Extension - isext.dll

22. Kherr

Kherr New Member

Re: Say goodbye to free tethering with sprint ev-do, say hello to tetherberry

I am a member of sprint, and I have a RIM Blackberry 8330m Curve smartphone. I was told by the rep in the sprint store when I got the phone that it did, in fact, function as a modem for a computer. So happily as could be I get home and hook up my phone to my computer (after installing the blackberry desktop manager software that came with the phone), what's this, but I could NOT in fact use my phone as a modem. It didn't even show up as an option anywhere in the software for the computer or in anything on the phone, and I scoured that thing. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that if you own a blackberry and are a member of this *sincker* fine company called sprint, there is a way around this. Go to tetherberry's website and download their program on your pc and follow the rest of their instructions. Thus far this program has worked, and it works good. As a matter of fact I'm using it right now to post this message. I have the simply everything plan from sprint and after taxes I pay roughly 135 or so a month. I don't think I should have to pay for any kind of tethering fees that the rep from customer service said I was gonna have to pay per month for their way of using my blackberry as a modem. HOWEVER, tetherberry wants like 50 bucks for the program, but so far I've been using the free trial (which doesn't seem like a free trial because there is nothing stating how many days I have left or anything, the program just takes off and doesn't warn me about crap, so I highly doubt they put a time limiter in the program...) and I haven't had a problem... just don't try to play games on it's connection. That's the one thing I haven't been able to do... It's kinda slow, but still worthwhile. So far I've only seen at max around 50 kilobytes per second download speeds and I haven't tested the upload yet. Hope this helps anyone.

#22 Kherr, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2009
  23. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Re: Say goodbye to free tethering with sprint ev-do, say hello to tetherberry

I've used PDAnet on several phone platforms in the past.

It has always been easy to install and paying the $29 fee one time is a heck of a lot cheaper than $60/mo for an aircard.

I recommend that you check them out: PdaNet -- Use your BlackBerry as a USB Modem

24. sprintcust

sprintcust New Member

I was tethering just in with my HTC Touch until I had the dumb idea to upgrade the software, then it was locked and received the dumba** message you already know. Wish I can take the upgrade back. :mad:

25. sprintcust

sprintcust New Member

SNACHIP, I tried your instructions (See Message 21) in my HTC Touch but didn't work, the only effect is that the "connect" button in the Internet Sharing screen is grayed out, making it unusable. Any other recommendation to tether?

26. sprintcust

sprintcust New Member

I am on the verge of deciding to either stay with Sprint (I've been with them for over 10 years) or moving to AT&T. Sprint does not give back any loyalty and the tethering plan is absurd, if I pay for internet access, why pay for tethering? Now they blocked my tethering method with my HTC Touch. So I am thinking if I upgrade to Sprint HTC Hero and swallow the fact of no tethering or moving with AT&T, get the Iphone and have tethering. Another thing is that, recently, I have been experiencing a lot of dropped calls with Sprint, to the point of being obnoxious. Any comments?:confused:

27. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    You might want to try PDANet, or search for hack over at ppcgeeks in the Vogue forum

1 person likes this.
  28. sprintcust

sprintcust New Member

Could you explain the PDANet work around? Thanks

29. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    It's possible to tether with the iPhone and AT&T but AT&T does not officially "allow" it and you have to install hacks to make it work. Be prepared for headaches and having your tethering disabled any time you install an update.

You can tether with the HTC Hero if you have PDAnet installed or any type of similar application.

Check out their website: http://www.junefabrics.com/index.php This application will solve your problems.

1 person likes this.
  30. Patrick L

Patrick L New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Not true on the HTC Touch. When Sprint upgraded to WM6.1 the internet sharing was disabled.
    There is a fix I found ppcgeeks that I used on my Mogul and it works great. I have been tethering with it for about a year and half with no problems.
    I have a link if you PM me, or I can get you the file.