Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Save me from my Razr; recommend a good unlocked GSM phone

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by kansaigirl, Jun 25, 2006.

1. kansaigirl

kansaigirl New Member

My Phone:
    Razr V3 (unfortunately)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    <dons Nomex jumpsuit>Not to flame anyone, but I hate my Razr. It's handset upgrade time, I'm a T-Mobile customer, and I'm not particularly awe-inspired by their offerings.

This is my sole phone as I cannot get DSL so I do not need a landline, and am not around enough for VoIP other than the free kind. I have no reason to change carriers unless it is to go to US Cellular (who will give me a fairly good discount through work, but I can probably use that as leverage w/T-Mobile if I go to one of their stores...)

My major criteria for said replacement are:
    1. Bluetooth
    2. flip models over sliders
    3. no 'candybar' models
    3. light weight
    4. good reception; external antenna is OK
    5. manufacturer has to be a viable business (no inventory clearance stuff like old pre-merger Siemens models, Panasonic, Japanese Vodafone models, etc.)
    6. unlocked, at least tri-band GSM; UMTS would be OK too
    7. long talk time is key (>3 hours would be nice)

I've had 3 Samsung phones that have been quite good, only real 'problem' was that one was mono and other two were larger than I prefer. My first phone on VoiceStream (yeah, I've had it that long) was a Nokia 8290 that was a real junker, and I was glad when it finally broke and got the first Samsung.

I don't care about playing MP3s on the phone, I don't do text on the phone, I really don't use the camera on the phone, mainly because most of the phones I've had (except my Japanese prepaid phone) are not very capable. I'm not going to use T9 to input stuff into the lame organizer functions on the phone, SyncML or not. I'm sorry, I've used PDAs for that for too long; these phones just aren't smart enough. :rolleyes:

I'm not really interested in carrying around a Windows Mobile brick for my phone, although a guy I met the other day who works for VZ had an interesting UT Starcom model that I would not mind using. It was rather thin, had an external antenna, and a slide out QWERTY keyboard that you could type on when the device was put on a table and oriented horizontally.

Any and all help gladly accepted...:D

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I've had good luck with my v300 but you need Bluetooth, the Motorola v330 might work for you.

I currently use an unlocked v620 which is quad-band and has Bluetooth. I love this phone. It's classy and has a good weight to it. It works well as a phone. A v600 would be another option and, I imagine, you could probably find some cheap, lightly-used v600s on eBay or somewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If I may add, I was in the mall checking out wireless phones and I went to the T-Mobile kiosk. If I had T-Mobile I would go with the PEBL it has good build quality and also got good reviews.

4. kansaigirl

kansaigirl New Member

My Phone:
    Razr V3 (unfortunately)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ummmm, thanks MOTOhooligan and josephd, but one of the complaints I've got about the Razr is the software. It just looks like a high school programming project duct-taped onto a project they bought off an IIT Design grad student. (Moto has their design center on Michigan Avenue; IIT's main campus is not too far away by L, the stop is called '35th-Bronzeville-IIT' on the Green Line...you can get off there when the White Sox are playing baseball, otherwise you can enjoy various famous architecture by Mies van der Rohe, Helmut Jahn, and Rem Koolhaas on the IIT campus if you are so inclined.)

Moto took something that could be put into the Museum of Modern Art, and slapped on one of the ugliest phone user interfaces I've ever used. This one being unlocked, it just has more options than the cheapo Moto my company saddles me with.

After using the Razr for a year, I am not very likely to look at other Moto products unless a vendor has live ones on site that I can test-drive. Maybe they ought to have me over to the design center?

5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Your complaint about Motorola's software is one of the key reasons Motorola phones are so popular. Motorola phones are easy to customize. Anyone with a PC, data cable, and some free software on the net can completely customize their Motorola phone from the menu structure to adding hidden features. If Motorola changed their OS I don't think they would be as popular.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...