Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sanyo 4900 replacement ideas?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by vox1, Aug 20, 2006.

1. vox1

vox1 New Member

Hi and sorry if i'm in the wrong place with this posting but i'm hoping someone
    with some Sprint experience can give me a little guidance.

I lost my 6 year old Sanyo 4900 last week. I've been off-contract with Sprint
    at 30/month for about 5 yrs now. The Sprint Store of course wants a new
    contract if i buy a replacement from them, so i'm looking for something online
    to activate myself.

I've seen it mentioned that - tho it's kinda dated now, the Sanyo 4900 is
    a great phone for the two things that matter most to me.. (on a no-frills
    model that i prefer): Great signal strength/reception, and voice clarity.

Before i dash to Ebay for another 'brick' style 4900, i thought i'd poll around
    to see if i could get some other suggestions on a good, more contemporary
    Sanyo model to replace it... with the same or better quality of reception and
    voice clarity. Again, frills and extras (other than Speakerphone and Web
    capability occasionally) aren't needed. This is business-only, and i am in
    broadcast work so it's important to have good clarity and reliability.

If i am posting in the wrong place and anyone can suggest where to see
    specific comparisons of models similar to the 4900 (and i'm also looking to
    stay under 100 bucks on the replacement unit), i'd appreciate that info too!

Thanks much,

Mike

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The Sanyo 4900 was released in August 2002 so it could only be 4 years old max.

The replacements for it are the 4920 and 4930. Both are smaller and have improved features. I would avoid the 4920 as it seemed to have more problems than the 4900. The 4930 is the better choice. If you've had your existing phone for 2 years you can qualify for $150 off the purchase of a new phone but like you said would have to renew your contract.

#2 larry, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 7130e: BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I have used the 4930. It is a great phone. You could probably get one for fairly cheap on ebay.

4. vox1

vox1 New Member

appreciate the thoughts and advice. kinda torn between a flip and a brick, is the only hang up keeping me from going to, probably a 4930 off of ebay... someone suggested looking at the sanyo 2400 as a suitable alternative...looks to have just as good a rating on clarity and signal... any opposing viewpoints or better models to suggest for a flip model in that price range, definitely appreciated...

otherwise looks like those two are about the same price ballpark for an ebay buy.

thanks

mike

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

The best flip that Sprint currently sells for $200 or less is the LG LX-350. It has a 1.3 MP camera, bluetooth, 260K TFT external screen and best battery life for a flip. No other Sprint phone in this price range can touch it.

6. vox1

vox1 New Member

hey folks, i kinda gambled impulsively, and threw 40 bucks into an ebay buy on
    a new sanyo 4920. i appreciate the suggestion about the 4930 and others,
    but can anyone tell me if i'll see any major drop in performance between this
    4920 model and the 4900 that was stolen? i just decided to go for this since
    it was so cheap and i need something fast (and familiar).

i see it's been said that 4930 is best of this series...but is there that major of a
    difference, or do you think i'll have at least the same signal strength....(the
    one factor that was in question based on reviews between 4900 and 4920)....

again, if anybody can advise from experience on this, i'd appreciate it...(and if i 'blew it' i'll keep looking around or go with the 4930 if it really IS that much better in reception).

Sorry to bring up what may be real old history but again, i'm totally about functionality vs latest feature-filled trends that i really don't have use for : )

THANKS, again!!!

Mike

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The 4920 had some issues with certain buttons on the keypad not working like they should. If you get one that doesn't have that problem you should be fine. The 4930 would have been the safer bet but you should be ok with the 4920.

8. vox1

vox1 New Member

Yikes...guess i'm glad i only spent 40 bucks... Just read some reviews on
    Amazon abt. this model. Harsh! Hard to believe reception would be that
    radically different between 4900 and its supposed improved 4920 successor..

Some guy there reported big difference in signal from his old 4900 to the 4920.. (and saw the feedback about the keypad issues...) O'Well..the one
    review site i didn't happen to see before i hit Ebay. I just figured that if
    the 'rugged' factor wasn't all that significant to me, the 4920 v. 4930 was a lot
    more attractive price-wise. DIdnt really realize how good the 4900 was (til
    i lost it). Hopefully i won't have the dropped call experience reported on that
    review board... I know i never had ANY of that kind of issue with the 4900.

THanks again,

Mike

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I wouldn't be too worried about the reception. In the time between the release of the 4900 and the 4920 Sprint "re-calibrated"and standardized the way the signal strength is displayed on their phones. So the 4920 might even get better reception than the 4900, yet show fewer "bars" in the signal meter.

As to whether the 4920 might drop more calls...that is possible I suppose. Still, if yours works out fine you have a great phone for cheap, and if you decide you want something different, you're only out $40...beisdes, $40 isn't a bad price to pay even if the 4920 ends up being a backup phone one day.

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Like Anthromatt said many people got fooled into thinking the 4920 had worse reception than the 4900 because it showed less bars on the signal meter. That was just a re-calibration as to how it should actually have been in the first place. If the 4920 used the same signal meter as the 4900 I bet the phone would have had much better reviews. LOL Just don't base your signal off of how many bars you have (like many do) and you should be fine.

11. vox1

vox1 New Member

thanks for the explanations about this. reception was really the "sell" factor when i bought the 4900 in the first place, hence the smaller size
    of the4920 made it a logical move (esp. under 50 bucks).

appreciate the 'consolation' --

now i guess i'll just have to find out if the keypad works ok ; ) should be in hand in a day or two. in any event, any of this series has to be better
    than the kyocera 2035 i've been using in the meantime..(my 2nd phone ever).

((it did come in handy as a "temporary" vs. none at all... hardest part was
    finding where i had it packed away)).

thanks!

mike