Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

San Jose area choice?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Eric3, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Eric3

Eric3 New Member

Hello,
    I am new to the forum, and new to wireless comm. I have no real experience, direct or even indirect with wireless. I want to get a phone for my wife & family, for only occasional use, mostly in the San Jose area. I would like it to at least work in the surrounding 200mi, even at extra charges. I desire the lowest price/time plan, but it has to work when we need it! Also some sort of free/cheap phone would be good.
    Thanks for any advice, and thanks for all that I read before posting this.

- Eric

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Eric,

I would recommend, in the following order:
    ATT
    Verizon
    Nextel

Stay away from WorldCom (MCI). I can't speak for Cingular or Sprint in your area, but for what its worth, read the article I put on my website: http://whitehare.topcities.com/WirelessPhones.htm

From experience: Don't expect coverage along Highway 1 when you are not in a large city. It doesn't exist from ANY carrier. For example, I get coverage on my ATT phone in Monterey and Carmel, but not in Big Sur. I get coverage in Half Moon Bay, but not out of town.

3. Eric3

Eric3 New Member

Thanks Kevin.
    It's a done deal, bought ATT yesterday. The sales guy was very good, and low-pressure (hard to find in any electronics stores these days). I'll post any feedback after my 3 weeks off and around using it.

- Eric