Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Samsung SCH A950 questions

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by swker98, Feb 27, 2006.

1. swker98

swker98 New Member

hi guys im gonig to get the Samsung SCH A950.from someone i know and i just want to know a litrtle about it

1. how good or bad is the respetion

2. on the mp3 player wheat kind of card does it use to transfer music

3. is it durable

4. can you play mp3's on speakerphone and can you control the mp3 plaeer form the outside of the phone when it is cloed

thax again guys

2. swker98

swker98 New Member

bump, im shure someone knows:loony: :loony: :cheers2:

3. swker98

swker98 New Member

4. moonrequiem

moonrequiem New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a950
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I can answer those questions for you as I do have that phone:

Q. How good or bad is the reception?
    A. I found this phone to have good overall reception (at least in my area)...although it is an All-Digital Phone so you will not have analog backup support...and the EV-DO support is only available in select Metro areas, so if you live in the boonies at all...don't expect to be able to take advantage of V-Cast at all

Q.on the mp3 player wheat kind of card does it use to transfer music?
    A. It uses the relatively new Trans-Flash Card (also known as MicroSD) they come anywhere from a 128mb to a 1GB card and run anywhere from $29 to $199

Q. Is it durable?
    A. That one is tough, it is a very rough phone, however, I haven't had it long and haven't dropped it much, so I'm not sure...but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

Q. can you play mp3's on speakerphone and can you control the mp3 player form the outside of the phone when it is closed?
    A. Yes and yes. The outside buttons are solely used for the MP3 player and there are only 2 options for playing music: The speakerphone (which the quality, from such small speakers, is very good), or special headphones which can be purchased for like $30 from a verizon wireless store

Hope that helps

5. swker98

swker98 New Member

thanks for all of the answers, im a little mad about it not having analog, i travel alot so thats im imrportant. This phone can use the digital extended network?

Can you delete a voice recording as a ring tone and ifso how
    Also do you happion to know how much memory this phone has ( without a Transflah) its only about 40 right? good thing i mgetting a transflash card form brstbut for 1999 128mb

lastly can i use the camrea light as a flashlighhtht, like have itt stedy on

thanks alot big help

6. moonrequiem

moonrequiem New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a950
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yes the phone does have Digital (Extended Network) Roaming, to comply with Verizon's New "No-Roaming" plans. Im not sure if you can use a voice recording as a ringtone, however, I believe you can as all recordings are stored under "My Sounds" which can be used as ringtones. I'm not sure how much memory the phone has without a TF card, but I think its as little as 8MB but again I'm not sure. However, you MUST have a TF card in order to use the MP3 player feature. Mp3's cannot be stored on the phones embedded memory. And no, the LED flash can only be used in camera and video modes.

Hope this helps

7. swker98

swker98 New Member

cool , i picked up a transflash card and now im waiting on the card reader

thanks for all your help

8. Ringfinger

Ringfinger New Member

Quick question in addition,to format is this correct?

Hi there again:

First and FOREMOST, you MUST format the card using Windows. I'm not sure why, but when I tried copying files to my card before formatting my computer would lock up.

Second, after formatting, place the card (before copying any files) into your phone and turn it on. This will automatically create the appropriate directories that you can place Mp3s, sounds (such as MIDI files for polyphonic ringtones), and pictures.

Third, open up your card again using your windows based PC and just drag and drop your mp3's etc. into the appropriate files.

Second, can you really drag and drop, or do you have to use that stupid cable and Media Player?

Third, can you take photos from the card and put onto your comuter through the card reader interface?

Thanks!

9. moonrequiem

moonrequiem New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a950
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Not sure about the media player thing...never tried that. I just used windows explorer and drug and dropped the files into the appropriate folder on the card.

And Yes, you can use your card reader (while placing the TF card into the appropriate SD adapter - which SHOULD come with your card) and drag and drop your files into the right folder. You can't just drag and drop onto the card. They must be in the right folders before the phone will recognize them (ie My Music, My Sounds, My PIX etc.)

One new piece of info I got is that the new software flash for the a950 now supports WMA format. I guess thats okay :).

10. Ringfinger

Ringfinger New Member

Just tried it and I got a no music found error. What am I doing wriong? I took mp3's, drug to the my music folder, but no luck. Is there some special way to get my phone to recognize? I could play from the card while it was in my computer, but not on my phone. Help!!

11. moonrequiem

moonrequiem New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a950
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    UPDATE:

The new software for the a950 DOES NOT SUPPORT MP3 FORMAT!!!! NOOOOO!!!! Only WMA...that would answer your question why its saying "No music files found"

That just makes me mad! :mad:

12. Ringfinger

Ringfinger New Member

Thanks, I'll try WMA's.

13. notoque

notoque New Member

Hey all

I recently bought a samsung a950 and am also having problems loading music into the transflash memory chip using windows media guide 10.
    Where can I get step-by-step instructions for this procedure?

14. chachee

chachee New Member

how do i transfer videos from my phone to the computer with the usb cord, what program do i have to download, can u help me i got some funny videos,

15. Akshayvarma89

Akshayvarma89 New Member

Re: Samsung SCH A970 questions

I have a a970 and i put it to nam2 and it brought me up to the main screen and it says initial programing needed. And when i click anything else it says enter code and i tired everything. example , 0000, last 4 digits of my phone number, 1111,2222,9999. Please help me out thanks