Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Samsung Blackjack Review

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by charlyee, Dec 6, 2006.

1. hiddendragon

hiddendragon New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Fuze
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    In order for Cingular to release the code, you must be a Cingular customer for at least 90 days, in good standing (i.e. no unpaid bills). Other than this requirement, they should give it to you quickly. It took them 1 day to give me mine.

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am actually worse, I don't like touching the touch screen with my fingers to dial like a lot of people do, using the stylus ofcourse takes away from any one handed operation.

Back to unlocking, over and above what hiddendragon said you also need to have International Roaming activated on your account and tell them you need to unlock it because you are going overseas.

They are getting a little more strict, after all the phones they have sent me unlocking codes for, this is the first time I got a mini lecture that went something like "are you aware that Cingular offers some very good international plans and you don't really need your phone unlocked?"

WELCOME to WA and I hope you get the Blackjack, I like mine very much.....:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks hiddendragon and yes Cingular is still learning how to deal with something like the Blackjack, that people are going to use for much more for data because of the 3G.

LOL, yes Steve everything is cool.....:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It's nice to know that someone else feels the same way I do about touching the screen on a PDA with bare hands. I freak when someone intentionally touches my screen, unless I have a screen protector on top of it. The reason for it is that it deposits oils onto the screen surface which require cleaning. The more you clean the screen the more "rough" you make it and the easier it scratches. I'm very protective if you guys can't tell.

5. VZWfiend

VZWfiend New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126, SE W810i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular / Verizon
    OK, I hate to "beat a dead horse" but why does Cingular demand a PDA Connect data plan to qualify for the rebate? I am reading the actual rebate PDF that states for the Blackjack only:

"†Requires activation on an unlimited data rate plan plus a Cingular Voice Plan with a minimum monthly access rate of $39.99 or higher."

Why is this stipulation only listed for the Blackjack? Has Cingular changed the rules to qualify for this rebate? I have an unlimited data plan (not PDA or Smartconnect) and $39.99 calling plan, would I not qualify for the rebate based on the current rules of the rebate? I'm not playing devils advocate, just reading the rebate rules as they are written. Anyone?????

P.S. Please excuse my screen name.. I'm no longer a Verizon fiend! :biggrin:

6. hiddendragon

hiddendragon New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Fuze
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Because they are money grubbers and want to exploit the 3G capabilities of the BJ by reclassifying it as a PDA instead of a smartphone.

7. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The best answer I can give you is "I don't Know". As you know on the rebate form, the requirement for the 8525 is specificcaly spelt out as the PDA connect plan and the requirement for the Blackjack is what you stated.

When I pointed this out to them, both the store and Cingular CS said I will not qualify for the rebate unless I have the PDA plan.

I decided to forfeit my rebate becuase it takes 10-12 weeks to come and since I have the $14.99 plan now, I would be paying $35/month more which could wipe out the $100 rebate even before I get it.

I was also concerned that if I did go with PDA connect plan I will not be able to down grade to what I want later.

I have read about Blackjack owners that have sent in for the rebate with either the Media Max or the Smartphone connect plan but no one has reportd back that have actually got the rebate.

As others have mentioned, Cingular is pushing the PDA connect plan because they see the Blackjack as a data phone and being used for data more than other Smartphones.

#67 charlyee, Dec 12, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I got a battery saving tip from another forum:

Go into Settings/Connection/Beam and uncheck "Receive Incoming Beams". Apparently this is for IR which the device does not have.

It is too early to say whether there is a significant difference but I have had the usual day of voice calls, text messages, BT syncing, web browsing and playing with the phone, and I have not lost any bars yet. Usually by this time it goes down by 1 or 2 bars.

I do most of my web browsing on the Blackjack in the evenings, so I will know for sure tomorrow.

Just wanted to share....:)

9. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Actually incoming beams are for not only IR but also bluetooth PIM transfers. Ie. The transmittal of Bluetooth Business Cards.

10. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Actually the same was true on my 8125 and I believe on some palms as well, in regards to requiring the PDA Connect. Come to think of it I never did send my 8125 Rebate in, go figure.

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Shawn, thanks for the clarification. I only use the BT for Active Sync ( the firewalls on the system do not allow the USB connection) and occcassionaly for my headset, so I should still be okay turning of the "Beam". I can always turn it back on if someone wants to BT a business card over. There is some noticeable improvement in battery usage by turning it off. :)

12. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes there most certainly is, also you'll notice you'll have a lot better time if any of your pc's have IR enabled, if not no matter where you point then dang eye you'll hear the notification sound (on the pcs mind you) letting you know that there's a device around.

Edit: I forgot that the blackjack doesn't have IR but this applies to other WM5 PPC's as well.

13. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You are all probably aware of this already, but RIM is now suing Samsung over this device!! Here is a link to the article, interesting if nothing else.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16184141/

14. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
  15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi AZ, thanks for posting the extended battery information. I was looking into it myself, and I agree it is a very good design. I am not sure I will get one though. I don't really have a problem with the battery life, it lasts 24 hours without any problem and having the second fully charged battery on hand does help.

I am liking the Blackjack even more after using it for a month, it has amazing voice quality, call clarity, and rf. The best I have seen of the Cingular line-up now and in the recent past and in par with the 6682.

I did have the CDMA Samy A670 with the same attributes and I am happy the Samsung is able to carry this into the GSM world....:)

16. hiddendragon

hiddendragon New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Fuze
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The ONLY drawback to the BlackJack: MSFT Voice Command does not work over bluetooth which is a deal breaker for me...

17. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Depends on which version. 1.6 should work over bluetooth 1.5 never has and never will.

18. hiddendragon

hiddendragon New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Fuze
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
  19. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Nice Review Charlyee :)

It looks like a nice phone.

Do you miss the flip or politically correct clamshell factor of a cell phone like your Nokia?

20. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Kelli, :)

I am really enjoying the phone. I actually like bar phones better than flips, there are no moving mechanical parts that can be slightly out of alignment and irritate the the heck out of me. :D

21. Briandead

Briandead New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Blackjack
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Charlyee,

I finally went down to my local Cingular store and saw the Cingular rep that sold me my previous phone. I bought my phone from him previously because he was the most knowledgeable of all the diffent cell phone companies I visited. I asked him this time about unlocking the phones and he said that he was not aware that Cingular offered that service. All he could tell me was to call "Customer Care" and ask them. Can you tell me what exact steps you took to request the unlock codes? I have not bought the phone yet since I just saw their Cingular 3125 phone, which is a clamshell design (which I normally prefer).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I have had 3 phones unlocked from Cingular within the last year but as I mentioned before with this one I did get some flak about I should be using Cingular's International Roaming Plans.

The steps I took were all the same. I called Customer Care (actually the first call I made with my Blackjack as I drove back from the store)and told them I was travelling internationally and needed my phone unlocked so I could use a local SIM. They verified that I had been a customer for atleast 90 days, my account was in order, and I had international Roaming activated on my account. Then they noted my IMEI number and told me it would take 3-5 days to get the unlock code and I would get it by the E-Mail address that was on my account.

I got the unlock code, earlier than expected by E-Mail.

Hope this helps. :)

23. jrakai

jrakai New Member

Dear Charlyee - I also greatly appreciate your review and have been debating the same with regards to switching from my PDA to this phone. I've decided to at least look into it since, worst case scenario, I could return it within 30 days. My question pertains to watching streamed videos. Can the display be adjusted to full wide screen or would the image be confined to a default smaller size? If the latter, than has anyone figured out how to or what would be required to permit changing to full screen? I have several programs on my iPaq which I'm wondering if they could be downloaded onto the phone via activesync to permit this capability. Any assistance would be great.

jrakai

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am glad my review helped you. Unfortunately I have not played with Streaming Video, so I really cannot answer your question. On this other forum there are a lot of Blackjack users and I do recall discussions about it. If you can wade through the garbage that gets posted in there you probably find an answer to every Blackjack question you have.

From my experience in general none of my IPAQ programs have worked on my Blackjack though.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Let us know if you decide to get one.

PS: WELCOME to WA :)

25. jrakai

jrakai New Member

Thanks for your reply. How can I obtain the DJ Baby theme for the BJ just in case.

26. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Well, I did it. I sold my 8700c to a coworker and got a Blackjack yesterday. It will take me a few days to get used to the layout of the menus and such since I haven't had a Windows Mobile device since my Axim X5 in 2001. Heck, I have carried a Blackberry/Rim device since 97 or so. I need to spend some time on HowardForums and here to learn the tips and shortcuts. I think I finally got my email working on the POP3 set up. I wasn't able to get the Exchange server to work properly.

Charlyee: I will be picking your brain at some point, I guarantee it.

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    and I gurantee that I will pick yours many times.....:)

Congratulations, I hope you like it and have fun playing with it.

28. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    im finually getting around to catching up on this thread, he he.:browani:

29. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Speed Test Results (3G UMTS/HSDPA)

Tethered via USB:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure why it thinks my ISP is VZW since I am using Cingular.

30. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    fyi, i have had a unlimited plan, for a while. when i got my lg cu500 in july i had cv, no add. cost. thank you very much.:browani: