Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Samsung Blackjack Review

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by charlyee, Dec 6, 2006.

1. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

OK, so this is what I've learned:

- There are two versions of Windows Mobile 5: Pocket PC and Smartphone

- Given the applications that Charlyee has on her Blackjack, it seems to be a Smartphone. PhoneScoop and CNET agree.

- Cingular says it's a "PDA phone" (their term) either because they don't understand the phone, want to make more money, or both.

- Cingular doesn't force anybody to get the PDA Connect data plan, they simply define which data plans qualify for the rebate. Since Cingular classifies the Blackjack as a PDA, only the PDA Connect plan gets you the rebate.

- Charlyee has kept her $14.99 Media Bundle + a short-term unlimited-everything promotion. She'll decide on her data/text plan going forward, after the promotional period.

Did I get it right? :D

SW

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. CWick

CWick Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Cool pics, no appointments to get your hair or nails done??? ;-)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Charlyee doesn't have much time for that sort of thing, given the time she spends reviewing the latest gadgets here on WA, and of course her real job, which involves, among other things, doing power electronics calculations such as:

[​IMG]

As I'm sure you know, numerical solutions are acceptable for cases like this, so you probably won't need Charlyee's help when you come across one, but let her know if you get stuck. ;)

SW

4. CWick

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    One would think that someone so well organized, with the power of the world in the palm of her hand, could find time for such an appointment. :)

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Shawn, thanks and you are absolutely correct. One of the explainations I got for the classification was that because it is a 3G phone people are going to use it a lot for data. :)
    Paul, thanks. It does not have WiFi, it's successor will according to the rumor mill. I will try BB support next time, I did get up to the 3rd. tier of Cingular Tech support once..:D

ABSOLUTELY Steve...;)

This is actually a very hot topic on all forums, there are more than 100 posts on this already. The only advantage of the PDA plan is being able to use the ISP.Cingular (instead of the wap.Cingular) so you gat a live IP. I am not sure if you read Shawn's thread on this but here is a link to it.
    Thanks, sorry the pictures were not feminine enough, so how about my new home screen. Sorry still no hair & nail appointments on it :p
    LOL , thanks. Please allow me to make one correction I am not in Power Electronics. I work with 24.9kV transmission and distribution switchgear. I am High Voltage stuff Steve....and ofcourse all about POWER....:D

#35 charlyee, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  6. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

So something more like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forgive my ignorance, but I've forgotten most of the calculus I ever learned and couldn't do a definite integral now to save my life. However, I'm sure that CWick does stuff like this in his sleep. :p

SW

7. CWick

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Nope....just install, upgrade and maintain payroll and financial systems for Fortue 500 companies.

8. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Correction, the PDA data plan also allows useage of Cingular Xpressmail, think of it as a subscription to the data package as well as the Xpressmail application. But otherwise very correct.

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Shawn, I stand corrected, why do you think I was looking for you here yesterday.....:D

PS: At least we got some activity going in the Windows Mobile Forum....

10. CWick

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Guess it's usually pretty dead in here? You mean it's not usually swinging hip with Steve and his Chinese algebra? BRRRAAAHHHAAHHAHHAH

11. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Do I sense this thread could be heading in the wrong direction? If so let's please get it back on track.

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes Sir, I will give it try....:D

Unlocking the Blackjack:

Good News - I got the unlock code in 3 days.

Bad News - The unlocking instructions were completely wrong.

Here are the instructions I got:
    1. Power on the handset
    2. Enter #0 1 1 1 1* unlock code #
    3. Press SEND key - display should read "Personalization Cancelled" - if the display reads "Not yet Personalized" the handset was already unlocked.

Here is what works:
    1. Insert a non-Cingular SIM in the handset.
    2. Power on.
    3. Enter the unlock in the rectangle that comes up saying to enter unlock code.
    4. The phone will say "personalization cancelled" (or something similar) and finish booting up.

PS: I saw the following instructions on HoFo but I have no idea if they work:
    1.Keep Cingular SIM in the phone.
    2. Enter *7465625*638* unlock code# SEND

13. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Great review Charlyee! Question...is this the phone that you can subscribe to a program in order to watch TV on it? And is that progam called "MobiTV"? A co-worker is interested in this phone...so just wondering.

Thanks!
    Chris

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Chris, yes you can watch TV on this. It is called CV (Cingular Video). Most of the channels are free only HBO and something else (I forgot what, sorry) need subscription. The catch though is if you don't subscribe to an unlimited data plan (Media Max, Smartphone connect or PDA connect) it will not let you accress it.

Hope it Helps.....:)

15. CWick

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I wouldn't think of it....

16. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    MobiTV and MobiRadio are low bandwith streaming applications that are best suited for Edge Connections, some s/e handsets come bundled with these applications, now don't get me wrong I may be off basis here and there maybe a higher bandwith/clarity version. Just sharing what I know.

You will also need to subscribe to Cingular Video, it comes bundled with the 29.99 Media Package and I believe with the new devices they are now integrating it into the PDA Connect plan as well. I think it's a 5 or 10 dollar access fee if not. Aside from that Cingular Video, at least when it was demo'd to me at an Atlanta Area Cingular Store, has great quality for a streaming Television service suited for a phone. Give it a whirl if you get a chance.

17. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I have unlimited Cingular Video on the $19.99 unlimited media bundle. Are they not offering it on the $19.99 data plans anymore?

-Jay

18. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I must be thinking outdated, I'll look into it specifically and repost my findings. However, when the bundles first came out it only was bundled on the MediaMax Plans along with text messaging.

Ok editing after research:

from http://www.cingular.com/learn/messaging-internet/media-entertainment/video.jsp

seems I was most definetly out of date, however, I'm still not sure if it comes bundled with the higher PDA and Smartphone packages, that's something worth asking a rep should someone pickup another blackjack or a 8525.

19. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    As long as we're talking about Cingular Video, does anyone know the URL for it? I'd like to use Cingular Video on my unlocked Motorola A845.

-Jay

20. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Quote from Cingular Users forum member Willcre (moderator)

You would need a845 firmware from cingular with the application.

21. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Jay , yes they are still offering the $19.99 plan it is called Media Max 200, which is unlimited data and 200 text messages.
    Shawn, I am not quite sure what you mean my if it comes bundled with the PDA or Smartphone Package. All Cingular 3G phones have CV, if you have an unlimited data plan of any kind you are all set to go. If you don't CS can enable it for you but you will run over your data allocation pretty quickly.

22. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Cingular never released firmware for the A845. It was released by AT&T pre-merger in a few markets, and Cingular is doing everything they can to not support it anymore. It is however the only 3G Motorola released with the US 850 band on it.

-Jay

23. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yeah, Media Max 200 is what I have on my plan. I was just wondering if they changed things, you know to make people pay more...

-Jay

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Fortunately, this one they haven't yet. They also have the Media Max 1000 for $29.99 and I think the Media Max 3000. I am looking at the MediaMax 1000 after my unlimited promotions are over.

25. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    This works for me. I usually use 150 - 250 megs a data a month, but less than 10 text messages. I hate typing on cell phone keypads. I don't even text with my iPAQ. Its just much easier and cheaper to call someone.

-Jay

26. hiddendragon

hiddendragon New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Fuze
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Charlyee, I'm glad that you were able to circumvent the PDA connect plan for your smartphone! I still say that Cingular doesn't have a way of forcing people to a PDA connect plan with smartphones, especially with MediaNet packages being more popular.

Nonetheless, Cingular is still learning how to properly deal with smartphones...the bottom line is that they will try to get away with everything to the unsuspected or uninformed buyer!

27. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Yes, this is what Charlyee has been saying. Everything is cool :cool:

28. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I would be somewhat careful of what Wilcre post's over there, he may be right on the upgrade, being he is a CSR. And he is not a moderator over there, at least he isn't suppose to be from my knowlege of the forums at Cingular.

29. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Irregardless he makes a point I do believe, CV is a firmware residing application. In order for Jay to get it he would need Cingular proprietary Firmware for his phone as cingular has not released the CV application as a standalone app.

30. Briandead

Briandead New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Blackjack
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    What was the process in getting Cingular to send you the unlock codes? I heard a few years ago that they actually had an email address that a customer can send unlock requests to. When I bought my Motorola MPX220 almost two years ago, they were not that friendly about unlocking it. I eventually had it unlocked in Vancouver (Chinatown). I have been getting by with my MPX220 and have stuck with it since I love the clamshell design. However, I am outgrowing its incapabilities and seriously considering the Blackjack. I am fully aware of smartphone vs Pocket PC. I have a pocket pc I don't even use anymore. I heard many people complain of the Treo touchscreen when actually using the phone feature (brushing against their cheek).