Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Samsung a900 AKA Blade released!

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by chris4434, Nov 24, 2005.

1. chris4434

chris4434 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR D&G Gold
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Sprint PCS (cancelled), T-Mobile
    I got this phone about two weeks ago and I really like it. It has impressed me more than any phone I have ever owned (samsung e105, Toshiba 4050, Sanyo 8200, and Sanyo 5600 just to name a few) Here is a quick pro/con list

Pros:
    GREAT screens. The internal QVGA screen is HUGE(2.23 inches i think) It is very bright and easy to read in the sunlight. IMO it looks better than the 5600 and 4050's screens. The external screen is the best I have ever seen in a phone. The quality is almost as good as the internal screen and its also very bright.
    Camera. the camera takes good photos and much better pictures in the dark than my 5600 every did. the flash is really bright too
    A lot of memory
    buttons for the music on the outside of the phone
    Great earpeice
    really good reception
    great UI (huge improvement over the boring sanyo UI)
    OTA updates
    the ability to force digital roam this is a GREAT feature to me because sprint has a pretty bad signal at my house -(106,-100 dBM) but verizons is much better at around -97 so this allows me to not drop calls at my house. also verizon is the only other CDMA provider in all of north georgia so I basically have the ability to access verizons network at anytime
    loud and clear ringtones
    EVDO is really fast
    because the phone is so small it fits nicely into my pockets

Cons:
    the speakerphone is good but its really quiet and sounds bad at higher volumes
    the battery life is pretty bad ( I have to recharge everyday)
    the charging port drives me insane
    no dedicated button for speakerphone
    no memory card slot
    no analog

Overall I would give this phone a 9.5 out of 10 because it does have some minor issues but the good aspects of the phone completely outweigh the bad ones

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    I agree with everything said here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would say that a phone so thin has necessarily have bad battery life especially with such large screen. Had Samsung cut the resolution on that screen a bit (less power consumption) and made the phone a bit thicker (to accomodate a more powerful battery), this would've been the perfect christmas present for someone I know. But I don't want to make anyone a slave of a charger. That would be a punishment rather than a present.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. chris4434

chris4434 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR D&G Gold
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The battery life isnt really as bad as everyone wants to make it out to be. Sure, its not the best but its not so horrible that it should keep you from purchasing the phone. When I first got mine the battery died quickly, but this was because I was constantly playing with all the features for hours. Once you get over the initial shock of getting a new phone and use it normally then you realize the battery isnt as bad as you first thought. My battery has lasted 2 days between charges before and thats with me making calls, using the internet, and the camera. I could usually average 2 days with my previous Sanyo 5600 also. If you think about it then it makes perfect sense why the battery on this phone isnt the best.
    1. its really thin which forces the battery to be tiny.
    2. it has a large 2.2 inch QVGA screen which eats up the battery
    3. its a CDMA phone.. we all know that they usually have shorter battery lifes compared to GSM phones (look at the GSM vs the CDMA razr)

5. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

From what you're saying battery life doesn't seem to be any better or worse than my Razr...

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The GSM RAZR does have slightly better battery life, but the difference is not that great. But even that is poor battery life to me. Charging a phone every night doesn't convince me because that means that sometimes when you use it more than usual the phone may not make it to the end of the day. I like my phones to last 2 or 3 days with HEAVY use, so at least I am sure I don't ever have to go running for the charger when I need the phone the most. Only Nokia and Sony Ericsson make phones that last that long.

7. ladybridgeport

ladybridgeport New Member

I have the a900 and I cannot upload pictures to anywhere, I get the old error message from sprint. I called Sprint and they said it was a common problem with samsung phones on thie network. I have a sanyo pm-8200 and had some trouble, but thats the tower near my area. Sprint says my phone is a hot in demand phone. Sprint expects this problem to be fixed within 4 months, as the ready link problem that was fixed when earlier ready link phones came out. Does anyone have other problems with their a900?

8. notto2006

notto2006 New Member

Can you put music you have on your computer on your phone? or do you have to download from sprint? if you can how do you go about doing so???? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

natalie

9. WonderDude2k

WonderDude2k New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    I'm having the same problem with pix mail...says I need to register my account. I keep trying to input a password, but it doesn't take it. Keeps telling me I need to register the account. Bummer. Fix it Sprint!

10. Quincy

Quincy New Member

Just ordered mine yesterday, can't wait to get mine hands on it. The battery life issue has me concerned, but I can't find anybody selling them. Does anyone know where you can purchase extra batteries?

11. chris4434

chris4434 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR D&G Gold
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Samsung's website has regular batteries for sale but they are sold out right now. I have also viewed a few a900 batteries being sold on eBay.

12. WonderDude2k

WonderDude2k New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Figgered this one out. It needed my ancient existing picture mail password. Duh. :rolleyes: I'm up and running now. I also learned that you need to set the camera view to widescreen to see the whole view of the picture. Interesting, this new phone.

13. RealBusyMan78

RealBusyMan78 New Member

Hello to you all.
    This is my first post on this forum, but my comment is very important about this phone.

I just bought the a-900 along with a plantronics BT headset.
    Phone rocked but the Plantronics bluetooth HS was so horrible that I exchanged it for a Motorola brand. The moto headset was better quaility (less static) but I kept hearing a beeping every 4 seconds or so (continuous whether on a call or not.) I called Moto and they said its (obviously) not supposed to be doing that and to take it back for exchange. Today I went to the local mall and started talking with a very nice man at a little accessory stand. I told him about the problem and the beeping so we tried different brands. THEY ALL MADE THE SAME BEEPING SOUND EVERY 4 Seconds or so. Needless to say the man had an idea and remembered helping a customer with the same phone and the same problem but mainly with static issues.

The solution I have found is that ONLY the VIM headset (http://store.treoden.com/vim.html) would work propoerly without static and the beeping sound.

Does anyone have ideas or the same problem? Love to hear from you all.

Thanks

14. Rodel

Rodel New Member

Hi- Try going into settings and then choose other. Then choose number 8 which will allow you to download any recent firmware fixes for the phone. These fixes are normally available once a month, which I was told by a technician I spoke with at a Sprint store. I had the same problem your having not being able to upload or post pictures. After downloading the fix it solved the problem for me.

15. BroncoHound

BroncoHound New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    As was said before, you can store 500 contacts into your phone. Each contact can have up to 5 separate numbers stored. I realize this is a month old, but i noticed the question was not answered and hope this will help.

16. Jarisha

Jarisha New Member

REALLY? 0.06"??? REALLY?
    Isn't that, like, the thickness of paper?

I think you meant 0.6", or just over half an inch. :O

17. WonderDude2k

WonderDude2k New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Thanks for the tip on the update feature! Now that my picturemail account is properly set up, I haven't had any technical problems, however.
    I probably wouldn't have found out about the update feature unless I got intimate with the user manual for a good couple hours to learn about all the great features of the phone. One day I'll do it, I swear! :)

My phone is being "optimized" as I'm typing this...maybe it includes better power/battery management?? Maybe not. Yah well. "optimized" sounds good.