Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Samsung a530 Data Cable

Discussion in 'SAMSUNG' started by boxermansr, Jun 4, 2003.

1. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    So I've read that you can use the Samsung SCH-a310 data cable with the a530, is this correct? This would be the one listed on radioshacks webpage Catalog #: 17-784, is this correct?
    Also this will work with Bitpim, the only thing is, that you have to drop the ringers into the phones
    directories, so to speak, correct? (What directory would that be?). Also, what drivers would you use for the cable? The prolific ones? I'm getting ready to go get my cable right now, so I'd like to make sure. thanks!

2. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes the a310 cable works.

Download the a310 drivers from the futuredial website here.

Yes BitPim works, but you can only use th file system view mode.

put ringers in: /user/sound/ringer
    put wallpapers in: /nvm/brew/shared

If the directories don't exist, just create them.

Always make a backup of everything before screwing around.

3. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    So will bitpim essentially detect the phone as it does the VX4400. In other words, as long as I tell it the com port that windows assigns to the phone, it will find it, when i use file view?

Do the pictures look pretty good, or do they have to be re-sized? I know bitpim sizes them, but do they look cut-off or anything on the screen?

Thanks

--

Ok. I got my cable installed, working, and have my first picture on it.. I loaded it, and set it to be my wallpaper.. now the only problem is.. that it's not showing "Verizon Wireless", or anyhting for that matter at the bottom of the screen.. is this normal? Is there a fix?

Also, is there any way to make a set image for the front display? Or has nobody figured it out?

4. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    bitPim will detect the phone as long as you have the correct drivers installed.

It doens't really do a very good job of it, because it was designed for the 4400...I get a bunch of error messages and have to reconnect it constantly, but it does work.

Do not use the wallpaper and ringers portion of bitpim to put stuff on the phone. Bitpim was designed for the 4400 and I don't really know what would happen if you used those...It could mess up your phone. Only use the file system view and directly copy files into the proper directories.

wallpapers should be 128x128 and caller ids should be 32x32 & 256 colors bmps.

the wallpapers look good with a couple exceptions: 1) when transferring to the phone, images seem to pick up some random white pixels...not a whole lot, but a couple. not sure why it does this yet, i haven't had a chance to try and figure it out, but I have seen others report it too. 2) Also, custom wallpapers can slow down the menus a little. the phone generally has a slow screen refresh, but with custom wallpapers, it takes a little longer...not really that big of a deal though. 3) if you have a custom banner, it changes the color from white to black for some reason....

I haven't experienced this. my custom banner does change from white to black though, but my Verizon Wireless banner remains white.

not that I know of. The only thing you can do is to make a default icon and assign it to all your numbers that you don't want custom icons for. This won't help for numbers that aren't in your phone book, but i don't think there's anyway around that.

5. Chudilo

Chudilo New Member

What if I have a USB cable ? I got GAGIN to read the data but BitPim is Giving me error messages. Any help would be apreciated. (no I'm not trying to run them simultaneously)

6. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Well.. For some reason, my picture displays fine (I get some of the white pixilation you speak of), but at the bottom there is no "Verizon Wireless" displayed, no time/date, nothing. I'm using a .bmp -- not sure if that makes a difference. I added it using the file system part of Bitpim.. I'm using a pic of Morpheus from the Matrix.. the background of it already was "white" and of course the photo of him is visible, but the banner at the bottom does not show.. does the picture have to be re-sized before being added to the phone via bitpim? my understanding was that bitpim automatically resized the pictures..

7. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If GAGIN is working fine, then I would just stick with that.

I get a lot of errors with BitPim too, but I just have to quit BitPim, disconnect/reconnect the phone and start over...that usually get's me going again.

8. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes you should resize the image to the correct setting before putting it on the phone. BitPim would resize automatically if you were using the wallpaper feature and using that to send the image (i would not use this with the a530!), but when you add files directly with the file system, there is no resizing that takes place. it's just like copying a file from one place to another on your hard drive.

You say the image that you're using has a white background? Is it white at the bottom where the VZW banner would be? If so, that would be why you can't see it, because the banner text is always white...You need a dark background to see it...

9. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS

I haven't been using the "4400" features of Bitpim, in other words, using the ringers or wallpaper tabs. I've just been telling bitpim to show the "view filesystem" tab, i click there, and then view the filesystem.. I havent been resizing, as I assume Bitpim resized it automatically via any methods.. I'm gonna have to find me a wallpaper now with a dark background and see if it works. thanks.

Oh.. one more thing.. when I resize the picture (Im using a bmp) its pretty good sized.. 64,556, i need to keep it under 30,000 or so, right? So I can just convert it to .jpg and it will be fine?

10. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm not sure if the phone reads jpeg format for wallpapers...I think I read somewhere that it does, but I haven't personally tried it so I don't know for sure.

I'm not sure how big the image I'm using right now is...I'll have to check tonight at home. I really haven't played with it too much yet, I just got the cable this week and I used it just enought to know that it worked by putting one wallpaper, one caller ID, and one ringtone...hopefully this weekend I'll have a little more time to play with it.

11. Chudilo

Chudilo New Member

It doesn't seem like the phone sees the new files. It says "Download first". I know someone mentioned that you can replace exisiting files with your own graphics , if so what is the name of the file that I can replace for back ground and midis and what directory are they in? Do theimages have to have in bmp format or a gif format and should I give them the extension of all the other files

I am very handy with graphics apps and a programmer by day and as soon as I can figure this out I'll be making sme relly great stuff,
    I promise to share.

12. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The "Download first" message that you are getting...Is that referring to trying to set a custom caller ID? I've seen that message for that, and that's usually because the image is not in the correct format. Caller ID pics have to be 32 x 32 pixels and 256 colors. If it isn't, then the phone won't recognize it as a choice for a caller ID pic.

See the second post in this thread to see where images and ringers should be stored.

13. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Malial, have you uploaded any of the caller id photos yet? I uploaded one, at the 32x32 size (not sure if it was 256 colors, not really sure how to tell, honestly)...

it displayed when I went to the menu, display, animations, wallpaper, as an available wallpaper, (and it was a very very tiny picture, hence 32x32).. but when I went to set it to display for caller-id, i told it to use "my image" and it keeps telling me "download first"...

any ideas?

14. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

yes I've successfully loaded a caller id image. the image you loaded probably isn't 256 colors, and this is important.

If you're using Windows, open the image in Paint, then go to file, save as, and save it as a 256 color bitmap. This should work.

15. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Teriffic, it works now. Thanks.. Now, if only I could get the PureVoice (voice ringers) to work. I have them 'working' -- they just play thru the receiver part of the phone, and not the speaker, like a ringer should..

16. Chudilo

Chudilo New Member

I second That BitPim works. I have succefully added the caller ID image and a melody ringer according to instructions in this thread. Directories are correct.

Caller ID image must be an 8bit BMP 32x32 pixels

Ringer must be under 30K. I'm still playing with full details

17. jenga

jenga New Member

sorry for bringing back the forum to the a530 data cable, but i just got a data cable (the 17-784) and i was wondering if the usb connector will power up the phone while it is being utilized as a modem. i'm trying it out, and it seems like the battery on the a530 is being drained. is there a way i can connect a power supply to the phone while it's connected to the computer?

18. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Good question....I don't know that there is a way to do that yet.

Without a combo charging/data cable, it just might not be possible. There is a desktop charger for the a530 (not sure if it's actually for sale yet...it's always saying "out of stock" on the Samsung website), but maybe it could sit in the desktop charger and still connect the data cable to the bottom if there's enough room.

Does the Verizon "movile web" kits that they sell come with a charging/usb cable?

19. TeSan

TeSan New Member

i was curious if anybody here has used teh exego featuer on the "getnow" b/c i just got the phoen and tried it, and it seems that the pictures are much darker than when i had uploaded it to the website...and are the pictures dark when you do it w/ the cable?

20. fatbird

fatbird New Member

i have been trying to load ring tones on my cell and cant get them to work iv tryed everything i can think of i was able to get wallpapers to work but now when i look at the memory using GAGIN i dont see anything. when i look on the phone i still see all my pics and everything seems normal.