Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Rural Hattiesburg Wireless Internet?

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Rudy Leffler, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Rudy Leffler

Rudy Leffler New Member

I live in Dixie community about 5 miles south of the Hattiesburg city limits. We don't have cable or DSL available at my location. I have been looking into getting wireless internet and so far have only been able to get information from Alltel and AT&T. Alltel said it was available at my location. They said at first the speed is 144kb and then said they tested it and it was 200 kb. The map on the Alltel website shows us as being in the area to get up to 2.4 mbps.
    On the phone At&T says it is available in our area and that the average speed is 400 - 700kbps. Their website says that we can get Edge/GPRS and that the average speed is 75 - 135 kbps.
    Both At&T and Alltel are $60 per month plus the price of the card. Alltel has one that plugs into a USB connection...I'm not sure about AT&T. Alltel is unlimited use, I'm not sure about At&T.

So with conflicting information I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. I also have the option of going with the WildBlue satelite dish (A friend has given me the complete package), but I would have to pay around $300 for installation and then $90 per month for "up to" 1.5 gbps.

If you have any info or advise I would appreciate it. I'm tired of paying a phone bill and ISP bill for a 28.8 kb connection! Sometimes I only get 26.4 and have never got over 49.2 and that is usually after dialing 5 times.

Thanks!

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    As far as usage caps go, AT&T has a 5GB limit. After that, I dont know what they would if you exceeded that limit. Also, some wireless companies are willing to provide a discount if you get a voice plan along with a data plan. Usually, the higher speeds are available for the air cards.

I dont blame you for looking at the cellular companies... $90 monthly is rather steep....

I have a friend that is paying thru the nose for Hughes high speed internet because he is about 5-10 miles from Tallahassee and Comcast and Embarq (landline) dont make it out there ... even their landline phone sounds horrible.

Any way, i hope I shed some light for you....

PS, If Alltel has your area as "up to 2.4 Mbps", then most likely, you have EVDO. In my experinces, I have gotten speeds between 300 & 700 K on my phone... that will blow AT&T's EDGE speeds away.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 QLR, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  3. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Take a look at satellite internet. It isn't perfect, but until cable came out to my road I was on satellite. Prices are likely to be comparable or cheaper than a data card.

4. faker

faker New Member

Check with the local ISP's that host dial up. Many ISPs are also offering wireless internet in the unlicensed bands. It is similar to wifi only long range. WISPs would be the term I think they fall under.

I would think that Alltel would offer the higher speeds as far as cellular based internet goes.

5. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Satellite is an option, but usually more expensive.

Alltel would be the better choice in this situation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jimbo

jimbo Member

Rudy, you may also want to have a look at Sprint. Although their coverage maps do not yet show it, they do in fact have EVDO deployed in the Hattiesburg area and all the way south on I-59. I've not been through Dixie in years, but I do know that coverage along I-59, US49, and Highway 98 is pretty good. An added bonus is that Sprint allows roaming on Alltel's EVDO network as well, at no extra charge.

7. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    id go satelite. your lookin at 10 bucks more a month for a 1.5gbps connection. thats a great deal. honestly though you should be able to get internet through your local cable or dsl provider and stay cheaper not to mention they will probably give you a wifi router for cheap

8. jimbo

jimbo Member

the OP said satellite would be $90 per month, which is $30 more than alltel or $40 more than sprint. OP also said that neither cable internet nor dsl are available at his location.

9. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's

those prices are conditional on the fact that he already has service with those companies, otherwise those prices are 20 bucks more which puts you into the 70+ tax range already. so then your lookin at a 10-20 dollars difference for something a lot faster. if you get satelite tv also will the discount your internet? just a thought.

10. jimbo

jimbo Member

How do you figure? Last I checked, both the Alltel $59.99 unlimited plan and the Sprint Sero unlimited plan for $49.99 were both standalone plans and do not require any other line of service to get the published price.

11. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I'm generally of the opinion that satellite should only be used as a last resort. It's the most expensive and generally is the one you're most likely to have problems with. If a friend is willing to give you all the initial equipment that should lessen the blow, but I tend to think about things in that if it's $30 extra/month, that adds up to $360/yr which seems far more significant not including the installation which can be done far easier with a mobile broadband card or usb adapter. With a mobile broadband card you could also look into a mobile router and get your place set up with WiFi if you have multiple laptops you'd like to use at the same time.

According to the maps, I also saw the same thing, it looks like you're in an At&t EDGE area at 70-130 kbps. For alltel it's an EVDO area at average speeds of 400-700 kbps with up to 2.4 Mbps according to their Mississippi Data Map here. Even though you can't zoom in, you can tell they generally cover far into the outskirts of Hattiesburg with high-speed. Though with either alltel or At&t also note that you really need a fairly decent signal or your speeds will get slower or even lost if the signal is too low. I wouldn't expect you to have any problems 5 miles south of the city but it's worth mentioning. But both providers offer trial periods where you can return what you've purchased if it doesn't work properly or you're not happy with it.

If it were me making the decision, I would go with alltel because it's $30/mo. less per month than satellite, and the equipment you need shouldn't add up near the $300 to install satellite for a very comparable speed. And it would be noticeably faster than at&t, which it sounds like also has a data limit, because alltel already has your area upgraded to high-speed data.

12. Rudy Leffler

Rudy Leffler New Member

Today someone told me that one of their relatives had Sprint and it worked fine, but the equipment kept breaking. Now they have Verizon, but had to go through a store on the coast (90 miles away).
    They live in Brooklyn which is about 20 miles south of Hattiesburg. They said it was slow in Brooklyn, but better than dial-up and when they come into Hattiesburg it is fast.
    I just wish I could find someone in the area that could give me an actual speed.

13. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think you may have answered your own question. Verizon doesn't have any native service in brooklyn or hattiesburg. They roam off of alltel in the area. So, if your friends said that the internet was slower in brooklyn, that means they probably have 1x (144k) internet access. If it got faster while they were in your area then EvDO (2.4Mbps) is more than likely available. I'd give ALLTEL a shot.

14. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Well Sprint might be the way to go. I am surprised to hear about equipment breaking, maybe that was just an isolated issue. Sprint has a SERO unlimited data plan for $49.99 which is hard to beat. Verizon does have a 5gb/month cap on their plans which are more expensive to begin with if I am not mistaken.