Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

roaming questions

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by chris4434, Aug 5, 2004.

1. chris4434

chris4434 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR D&G Gold
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Sprint PCS (cancelled), T-Mobile
    I have a few questions of how roaming works with Sprint.
    Heres what happened...... I made a call in my basement that was on digital roam... I kept talking until I arrived at the store, which has a great sprint signal. i pressed a button to light the screen so i could see if I was still in digital roam, and i was. from the time i went out of my basement i would have had a sprint signal. is it normal for the phone to stay in whatever mode it is until you finish the call
    for ex: if you make a call in digital roam will it stay in digital roam until you finish the call even if you would have a full sprint signal?
    also, if you are driving and you loose your sprint signal can your phone go into roaming without disconnecting the call? i was driving and talking on sprints network when i lost my signal because of going down hill, but the signal came back about 2 sec later so it didnt ever go into digital roam.
    one last thing.... many people talk about how they were roaming on verizon, alltel or w/e other provider, but how can you tell? im 99% sure that I digital roam on verizon around here, because its the only CDMA provider i know of other than sprint that has service here.

this is kind of off the sprint topic, but i have heard that gsm phones will switch to roaming without any problems .. is this true?

2. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I don't know about that. I assume it is normal for the phone to do that. However, since my area is well covered by Sprint, I always have my phone set to Sprint only. :)

This happened to me one time, and I had a Sprint signal, but I lost it, and I lost my call, and my phone switched to Digital Roam, but I was only calling my voicemail, so it wasn't too big of a deal for me. ;)

To tell whose network you are roaming on, call a "fake" number without the area code, and listen to the recording...for example down here in SW Florida, if I ever roam, which is never, I would be using Alltel's network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    There is no such thing as intercarrier handoff (at least not between CDMA or analog carriers). You will always remain on a roaming network when a call is originated on a roaming network until you end the call and the phone reacquires a Sprint signal.

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is defnitely correct for Sprint, but I do believe there may be areas where intercarrier handoffs between Alltel and Verizon take place.

I dug up this old thread (check the posts by CDMA and roamer1):

http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/wafo...light_key=y&keyword1=handoff&keyword2=carrier

5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Not saying I don't believe it but I just don't necessarly believe everything I read on the net. I think it would cause too many billing problems and there would be too much red tape involved for inter carrier CDMA/analog handoffs to happen.

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Billing isn't an issue, as VZW explained to me if the call starts in roam it is billed as roaming for the duration of the call regardless of whether you end up in non-roaming at some point. The opposite is true.

Red-tape is an issue, but Alltel and Verizon have a rather unique relationship unlike almost any other carriers.

7. chris4434

chris4434 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR D&G Gold
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Sprint PCS (cancelled), T-Mobile
    thanks for the tip. i did this and found out that i roam off verizon on digital and analog as i thought.

8. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Your welcome.

But Budney was the one who told me to do this, since I had the same exact question, so he deserves the credit. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Everytime a call is made or received while roaming,the call will stay in roam
    even if you are on the sprint network.You must end the call and turn the phone off and turn it on again in order to use it on the sprint network. However.if you are talking on the phone and you go into a roaming area,then
    you will drop the call.This is normal when it comes to roaming with sprint.

10. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That is not entirely true.

If you are roaming and you are in a Sprint area, then all you have to do is go into the roaming area of your phone and set it to Sprint if it was set on Automatic.

I do that when I occasionally roam about 10 miles from my house, and it works every time.

I have also restarted my phone before (like this summer), but that was because I was in an area that only had Alltel Analog.

11. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I was not talking about the phone being in roam mode and manually selecting
    sprint only.I was stating that if you are roaming off the sprint network and a
    call comes in,then it will remain in roam mode until you disconnect the call.
    That is when you will have (2)options if you are back on the sprint network.
    Either turn off the phone and turn it back on again,or manually select sprint
    only.I know all about how the roaming works.I been using the roam feature fo (9) years now.I will never offer my opinion if i did not know what i was talking about.However, your statment is also correct if the phone is not in use at the
    time you come back into a sprint covered area.

12. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Oh ok. :O

Now I see what you mean. ;)