Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Roaming on Verizone system???

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by misteradio, Dec 3, 2007.

1. misteradio

misteradio New Member

I recently updated the roaming (PRL?) software on my four Sprint phones in hopes of getting better coverage in the hilly area where I live. I was told recently that Sprint phones can roam on the VZW network. Is that correct? In theory, that would give me the same coverage as VZW without paying the Verizon premium.

Particularly interested in coverage in rural Tennessee, where VZW shows full digital coverage and Sprint lists "roaming" partner. Would I be able to access the VZW network in those cases?

Appreciate the feedback!

2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Which part of rural TN are you talking about? That would be true in parts of TN, buts in much of East Tennessee, either Alltel or US Cellular is preferred ahead of Verizon (depending on which county you're in). You shouldn't have any worries about that though as USCC and alltel are usually just as good, if not better than Verizon in much of that area.

Several things to watch out for on a coverage map though. For Verizon, it does list areas as full digital coverage, but it does not show signal strength. Sometimes these maps also include a roaming partner's licensed coverage, sometimes they show estimated coverage based on tower height, etc., but they frequently do not show actual coverage. In essence, I guess I'm trying to warn you that just because Verizon shows full digital coverage on their map, or because the Sprint map shows an area is covered by a roaming partner, doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a full digital signal.

But it is true that Sprint phones can roam on the networks of other CDMA providers, including Verizon, alltel, US Cellular, etc. You have 2 ways of using the signal of a roaming partner, first is to go to an area wher eyou lose a Sprint signal. When it does, it will automatically scan for partner networks. The other option which most Sprint phones have, is under the network settings, select Roam Only. When you select that, you can check the SID number to determine what network you are on. If you are sitting on 'No Signal' then it is probable that there's just no service to be had. Also be aware that Sprint does not recognize mobile-to-mobile minutes on roaming networks.

3. misteradio

misteradio New Member

When you say that Sprint "does not recognize Mobile to Mobile minute" while roaming...does that mean they assume these M2M to be outside calls and will charge them against my monthly minutes allotment?

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Yes. If you call, or take a call, from somebody else with Sprint while you are roaming, it will use anytime minutes during peak hours, rather than be included in your unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes.

This is especially frustrating for several people I know with Sprint when, for instance, if a family is traveling together and on a roaming network. A call to a family member on your account will use double minutes. Every minute of use counts as one for the person making the call and one for the person that received the call. However, on Sprint SERO, since it only works with individual accounts, that wouldn't be a concern.