Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Roaming on Cingular

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by jstich, Mar 14, 2007.

1. jstich

jstich New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    I'm curious if anyone knows the logistics of roaming between Alltel and Cingular, or for that fact, any roaming between GSM and CDMA technologies. Is it possible to roam digitally between these networks, or is it only an analog connection?

I doubt, however, that it is only analog, as Alltel has (long ago) renewed its roaming agreements with Cingular through 2012, although analog will be shut off much sooner.
    http://www.alltel.com/corporate/media/news/06/may/n411may0906b.html

Thanks!

2. jstich

jstich New Member

To clarify my question, how does the CDMA technology integrate with the GSM networks?

3. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    There is occasional, random talk about a phone coming to the US that will support one network while allowing roaming on the other, but to date, there is nothing on the market that uses both types of signals.

The roaming agreement you have heard about is primarily to allow Cingular users access to Alltel's GSM network set up for roaming traffic and revenue in areas where there is no alternative GSM service.

4. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC, American Roaming Network... LOL
    I have used alltel TDMA with my Cingular GAIT phone, as well as US Cellular TDMA. They both work.

5. CrossroadsTech

CrossroadsTech New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola StarTac 7868W
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    With this roaming agreement, Cingular GSM customers can roam on Alltel's GSM network out west (in former Western Wireless territory). That's what it is primarily for.

Alltel customers with a analog-capable phones do occasionally roam on Cingular as a last-resort, but Alltel charges their customers $0.59/min on National Freedom plans so I don't think Alltel has a discounted rate to roam on Cingular.

6. maximus

maximus Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Do you know if this includes (meaning pay roam rates) sid 45 (the sid that Alltel and Cingular share in CO)?

7. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    At last travel, my Alltel phone would roam on Cingular/AT&T analog in southern and western CO. When dialing #21, it would let me know it was on Cingular/AT&T. It is quite nice in, especially on areas of HWY 50, where friends phones with Verizon were left with no signal. Alltel was certainly doing far better than Verizon in many areas.