Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

roaming on alltel???

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by nm-native, Apr 21, 2007.

1. nm-native

nm-native New Member

Okay, I have had a Sprint phone for years. The coverage was so-so at my house (I live in a mountianous area) but I had good coverage it seemed any where else I went. After getting a recent bill (husband had 190 minutes OVER) and we have an old plan, so $.40 per minute of that, and realizing that most were calls to the house or from the house, I decided to check out Alltel. A large number of people I know have it, and said the coverage was good. I just got my phone today, and decided to try it out. I have HORRIBLE coverage in the house. Most of the time, it is searching for a signal. I was able to make a few calls to check it out, and while on the phone, the "R" started flashing. Oh crap, I thought... I contacted Alltel and the rep. told me that as long as the "R" is flashing, I am not being charged roaming charges. She said when it is a solid "R" and not flashing that I will be charged for roaming. I asked if I am on a call, and initially my phone is just showing a "D", but goes to a solid "R", will the call be dropped. She said no, but I would then have roaming charges... I told her that I went into the menu and selected "home" for the network, which on my Sprint phone eliminated any roaming fees, as it was on their network and not roaming. She said even if I had done this, if the call goes to a solid "R", I am roaming.... What gives???? I should have coverage for the majority of the state I live in (New Mexico) and live about 20 minutes east of a major city. Anyone else have this problem? I am going into the Alltel store tomorrow to get my account info (as I ordered online, and didn't receive it and of course they cannot give me that info over the phone...) and may just cancel the whole thing (as I have 15 days to do so. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. maximus

maximus Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Where in the state are you?

3. nm-native

nm-native New Member

I am just east of Albuquerque, NM... According to the map, I should have decent coverage. I had it with Sprint. I can see I-40 from my backyard, so I would think that I could get a signal in the house. And I just checked out my husband's phone (he has an AX245 and I have an AX8600) and his is going back and forth between "A" and "D"...
    yikes.

4. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    You may wanna program your phone to start. dial *228 to update the PRL (preferred roaming list).

Have you ever tried Verizon coverage? Your phone should be able to use Alltel, Verizon & Sprint while you are home. do not use home only.

and btw, if you make a call while the R is blinking (using Verizon or Sprint) then it will stay blinking until you hang up (same goes for a solid R). Alltel signals outside of your area will have the R blink also (and could stop if you go back into your area, even while a call is in progress).

If Sprint or VZW will not work on your phone, then the NID (Netowrk ID) isn't compatable based on what city/county you are in.

The following SIDs (System IDs) are for the Albuquerque area. You'd know whose towers/signal you are using if you look at the serving system. Goto menu, settings, system, serving system:

Alltel: 79
    Verizon: 110
    Sprint: 4274

you should memorize these numbers. which are you using? Does it change?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Wow it's pretty rare that Sprint will work somewhere in native Alltel coverage better then Alltel will.

Well, definately make sure your phone is programmed properly, *228 to update the phones PRL. If the call is blinking while you make it it should stay that way during the call. I would set the phone to automatic scan though. You shouldn't run into any pay-roaming in your immediate area. Also keep in mind the phone may blink roaming while still on Alltel's network. I don't know why they have it this way but....

I have heard of something similar happening on an NID split also....I think that was where it was.

Have your husband try and set his phone to digital only in the settings. Or he could try a Motorola E815 (29.99), I bet that will get you a good signal at your house. It's also cheaper then the 8600 even though it is a better phone, not as stylish I will admit though. LG's in general aren't known for great reception. Moto's and Nokias are the best. I would ask the store if you could try one out to see if it gets the coverage you want. If that doesn't do it, then I don't know what will to the point where you'd want to use it. I mean besides changing the SID in your NAM settings of the phone. Which isn't too hard to do, but it's up to you whether you want to try it or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. nm-native

nm-native New Member

I reset my phone using the *228 feature. It still is going back and forth between "D" and a blinking "R". I called Alltel and they said it was odd that it was going to "R" because I don't live close to a border... I checked the SID and it is at 1499. Does anyone know what that is?
    I plan on going into the store today to see what I can do about it. If my Sprint phone is working here at my house, should the Alltel phone be working at least as well (I thought I read that they had an agreement)?

Thanks.

7. nm-native

nm-native New Member

How is the Nokia 2865i on the network? If we do have to change phones, my husband has requested a bar phone... and how is the Razr compared to the E815?
    Hopefully the Alltel store will let me try out different phones before I just cancel the contract. Is this usually a problem, to change phones? Do they "pop" you for the full price? I would end up having about the same amount out of pocket initially that I have now, even if I go with the Razr... Even less if the E815 is the way to go.

Much thanks for your guys' help. Look forward to seeing a reply to my last few posts.

Thanks again.

8. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    If you are in a weak coverage area, which it appears that you are, then you don't want any LG phones. I suggest you get the E815. It is a little big, but the pull up antenna will help you at times. The Nokia 2865i should be an improvement over the LG models but it won't be as good as the E815.

Once you get decent phones, I suggest that you program in all of the SIDs in your area which are free roam and then leave the phone on home only. I can explain how to do that with the Motorola and I'm sure someone else can chime in for the Nokia. If you visit another part of the country, you can easily set the phone back to standard scan.

9. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    If your phone is going back and forth between blink roaming and D, then you are probably on the border of 2 Alltel Systems, SID 1499 is Alltel for a large part of NM, but SID 79 is Alltel for the Albuquerque area. Here is the excerpt from PRL interpretations:

01499 [D] FR Alltel Communications
    CMA553A New Mexico 1 - San Juan
    CMA554A New Mexico 2 - Colfax
    CMA556A New Mexico 4 - Santa Fe
    CMA557A New Mexico 5 - Grant
    00079 [D] FR Alltel Communications
    CMA086A Albuquerque, NM

So when your phone is on blinking R, you are still on an Alltel network, just not the Alltel network programmed in as your home network, ... if that makes sense. Since you ordered online, it is very possible that the online center shipped you the phone with the wrong SID programmed in as the Home SID. So your phone keeps trying to lock onto the SID that's further away. The Alltel store should be able to correct this by programming the correct home SID into your phone.

The alternative possible situation, if you don't get a good signal from either SID, is that you're right smack dab in the middle of the last tower for SID 79 and the last tower for SID 1499. If you get a very poor signal from both, here at Wireless Advisor we can still direct you how to set your phone to Sprint, so you can keep the My Circle advantages if you wish.

As far as the phone, the E815 is the best phone Alltel carries when it comes to picking up a good signal. My E815 has out-performed every Razr I've seen and it isn't strange at all for me to have at least one extra bar. Though I would still rate the Razr as far better than many other options, especially the older LGs and Kyoceras. The Nokia 2865i is also very good at reception. I was very impressed with that phone because it's not expensive at all but really holds onto a signal. Those might very well be the best 2 phones for signal.

It's not a problem to change phones, and by the time you read this the store may have already told you, but since you ordered online, you may have to deal with the online store to change your phone. The Alltel website orders are actually handled by a 3rd party so it is in essence, a completely different entity than the retail store. It may be a hassle to mail your phones back and get a replacement, but in your situation, I do think you would be very happy with an E815 and a 2865i. Either model would be far better than an LG. LG just seems a step behind in reception. I just picked up an 8600 for a family member and in places I'll have 5 out of 5 bars on my E815, the 8600 had 4 out of 6 bars. Motos and Nokias just have it figured out a little better than LG at the moment in my opinion. But if your home SID gets programmed right into your phone, then you still might be able to hold onto the 8600 or a Razr without a problem and the phone programming strikes me as the main thing at the moment.

10. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-E815_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.106 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Yes we can walk you through programming, it's pretty easy with the lg's.

11. nm-native

nm-native New Member

Thank you so much for the great info. I checked to see what "system" I was in with the phone blinking the "r" at me, and it is 1499. So, it seems that I am just far enough out of Alb. to pick up the signal for the rest of the state. I just hate seeing that "r" flashing, thinking it will go to a solid "r". My brother-in-law has Alltel (and a motorola - not a razr, but some other kind) and is coming out to my house this afternoon. I will check the reception on his phone. He does live in the NW part of the state, so his phone may be set to SID 1499 anyway. The big pros for me on the LG 8600 were the camera and the bluetooth. I think that the Motorola (the E815) has both.... if the Motorola has better reception, I iwll probably go with that one.

Thanks.

12. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    As long as there is a signal on Alltel, a solid R is unlikely.
    Keep in mind that (when your on a call), as long as it is blinking, it will never turn solid.
    This is because CDMA technology prohibits connectivity with other carrier's towers while a call is in progress.
    So if you make a call on Alltel, it will stay on Alltel, same goes for everyone else.

And FYI, When setting the NAMs (1 & 2), don't put Alltel, Sprint & Verizons SIDs into one NAM setting. If you do this, it will just find the Alltel towers, and ignore the others.

Designate your NAM1 settings for Alltel only.
    Make your NAM2 settings for Sprint & Verizon.

When programming the LG, you can put 20 SIDs into NAM1 & 20 into NAM2.

Here are some Alltel SIDs for the Southwestern US:

Alltel 79...Albuquerque, NM
    Alltel 1499...Santa Fe, NM
    Alltel 1493...Farmington, NM
    Alltel 53...Phoenix, AZ
    Alltel 1093...Durango, CO
    Alltel 1033...Tuscon, AZ

13. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Please don't give instructions for accessing system settings when you don't know them. The information you gave to look at the SID MAY be correct, but without knowing the make of the phone - and as of your post the OP never mentioned it - you don't know your instructions will work. I know for a fact they don't work on at least one model of LG and one model of Samsung phones, as I tried them out. Yes, I could select Menu, then Settings, but from that point none of the options you mentioned are there.

14. nm-native

nm-native New Member

Great info! Thanks. When I am at home, I have lije 3 bars on 1499 (so I am picking up the signal from teh Santa Fe tower, not the Alb tower. My "home" is probably just set to Alb. Does anyone know how to go in and change the NAM1 (so I can just put in Alltel numbers) on an LG? I have an 8600 and my husband has a 245... If I can get away with not switching phones, I would chose to do so. I am going to give it a week and then decide (I have until the 1st of May to exchange my phone (14 day policy). If I do decide to exchange, I am definitely going with the E815.

Thanks.

15. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm talking about only LGs :nono:

lots of LG phones (like my LG AX4270 & the one that nm-native specified) are set up this way...

My Ax4270 works great, and i would never give it up...highly recommend

16. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hi bikebryan. Those work for most LGs. As you can tell, most of us do know what we are talking about. I noticed your posts about the roaming clause, etc. Don't take this wrong, but I just thought you should know, It would be better to be less abrasive in posts. I know you work for Alltel as a customer service rep (at least I as far as I can tell). But that doesn't mean you know more then the people on this forum. We are all friends here and are trying to help each other out. Now nothing against you personally, but this help here is often where customer service fails or doesn't try. Some of the advice we give are slightly different from phone to phone but it is all relatively similar and can be solved as we go.

Well once we get the LGs to work then you won't need to exchange it :). But the E815 is definitely a great phone, especially for reception. It has all the features like, speakerphone, good camera w/vid, very nice screen, mp3 player (although not quite as good as the 8600's), etc. But it is a little bigger phone. We can get that ones SID changed as well if it is necessary.

17. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

If you want a guarantee of no roaming charges, simply request a change to the TOTAL FREEDOM plan (if still available); you can still get the CIRCLE and the only limit is 1,000 night and weekend minutes per phone versus unlimited N & W on the national freedom plan. M2M is unlimited as are the CIRCLE minutes.