Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Roaming comparrison to Verizon while traveling

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by JasonWells, Aug 18, 2006.

1. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    On these trips, I have compared service between my Alltel and friends with Verizon. Areas observed were Las Vegas, NV areas, driving to Bullhead City, AZ and into southeast CA. Along interstate hwys and large cities, both were fine. In remote rural areas the roaming agreements Alltel has were almost always giving service, while my friends with Verizon had no service. During those times, I could dial #21 and hear either Sprint or Cingular.

During drives from Sioux Falls, SD to Grand Junction, CO, both services provided good coverage along interstates and cities. However, along a large stretch of I-90 through SD, the Alltel kept service when the Verizon did not. This occured again when turning south off of I-70 near Vail, CO. The Verizon lost service for most of the way and the Alltel managed to use Alltel, Sprint and even Cingular Analog service to keep service. These again were discovered using #21. I did at one point think I heard AT&T, but could have been mistaken with the quick recording. The Alltel also performed better in some remote areas of WY.

While celebrating the 4th of July in the Iowa Great Lakes region (Okoboji), I was with friends using Verizon, Cinular and Midwest Wireless. On that holiday, the summer fun area becomes extremely populated with visitors, to the extent that cell towers are used to capacity. The Verizon and Midwest Wireless were both using the MWW system and having difficulty making calls and recieving none. The Cingular was similar, maybe a bit better. The Alltel phone wasn't perfect but did find another system called Great Lakes of Iowa, and Cellular One (?) all roaming I guess(?). It incurred $29 of roaming charges but Alltel removed them. And the point was, the phone kept trying different services just so it worked for me.

I have desired a cellular company that will provide service if there is any company with service available, even if it's not the native carrier. At this point, Alltel has done it the best, and I have used Alltel, Midwest Wireless, Qwest, Sprint and Verizon. I can't speak for other providers like Cingular, USCC, etc. I hope this is informative. My phone is a Nokia 6015i. It was reported to be great with reception. Other phones may be better with Alltel at this time, like a Motorola E815. (?) Thanks

2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Cool, thanks for the report!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. maximus

maximus Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    I find it very interesting you could use Cell One (Which is Great Lakes of Iowa) up here in Okoboji. I have alltel and have never been able to complete a call on them. Most of the time my phone sits on Sprint (sid 4155) up here, and when Sprint is weak it flips over to Midwest Wireless. I actually kinda like using Sprint's network....if only because I basically get the network to myself :browani:

4. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    It almost always uses the Great Lakes of Iowa /Cell One when I am in the Okoboji and Estherville areas. It does produce roaming charges, but they have always taken them off. It has a PRL of 206, and I did *228 last night and it stayed PRL 206. It seems to prefer the CellOne over Sprint in those areas too.

5. maximus

maximus Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Thats odd. Maybe your npa-nxx are loaded into cell one's system here because you are from a former western wireless area. I have a kansas number and have never been able to use cell one's system.

6. cg30sailor

cg30sailor New Member

My Phone:
    samsung wafer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel,sprint
    how do you tell what network your roaming on by prl? is there a list somewhere?

7. NCbearsfan

NCbearsfan New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a645
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
  8. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    Approximately two weeks ago the phone changed to PRL 606. Since that happening, it has used Midwest Wireless towers in the Spirit Lake, Estherville and Spencer, IA areas. Pleasantly, the coverage seems better.

As to finding the roaming carrier, I have had some success dialing #21. I used to dial 611, but almost always, it still gets forwarded to Alltel. If there is another way to find the roaming carrier, please notify me. The #21 only seems to work 1/2 the time.

As a note, I did not do a *228 update to get the new PRL 606. So far, it seems to work quite well. Again, I have been most impressed with the Alltel coverage. I've always used the Total Freedon 1000/$49.99; what a value, especially with Nights starting at 8pm!

The Nokia 6015i is working ok, but with ~40,000 mins is having some button issues. With my TOTAL concern being reception, what is the best Alltel phone to replace it? Again, features and gadgets are irrelevant, reception is the most important concern.

Thank You!!

9. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    It's not really fair to compare ALLTEL TOTAL FREEDOM to Verizon's America's Choice. That's like comparing VZW America's Choice to Alltel National Freedom. Verizon's National Single Rate plans also include every carrier whenever you have a signal, just like ALLTEL's Total FReedom...Don't get me wrong, I am by no means trying to make your point invalid...ALLTEL has awesome coverage and their prices can't be beat.

10. maximus

maximus Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Probably 90% of the locals in those areas use Midwest....there is a reason. Midwests network also seems to be of higher quality. I have had problems calling people on cell one (phone rings on my end, but not on their end - my dad actually has his voice mail message ask people to call him back instead of leaving a message). Text messaging to them doesn't work all that great either.

Try using *#743# (*#SID#) if you're on a Nokia.

I've heard good things about the Nokia 6235. Its what I'd get if I needed a basic phone.

11. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

had mine 2 weeks and love it. :)

12. bgreen965

bgreen965 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    The $49.99 Plan for 1000 minutes is actually National Freedom, not Total Freedom. I think the poster above used the wrong term to describe his service.

13. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

i think you're right. i pay $59.99 for 500 anytime minutes on the total freedom. but there's NO ROAMING.

14. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    Thank you for the information and advice. It is much appreciated. I did make the mistake of incorrectly stating the Total Freedom, when I have the National Freedom plan for $49.99, so that re-validates the comparision to my friends with Verizon. I appologize for the mistake. A good look at the Nokia 6235 will be done. Thanks!!

15. cg30sailor

cg30sailor New Member

My Phone:
    samsung wafer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel,sprint
    anyone know who belongs to sid 5 in w.minnesota?

16. maximus

maximus Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Sid 5 belongs to US Cellular in Wisconsin. The only Sid that has a 5 in it (that I know of) in W. MN is sprint with Sid 4155. Where were you when you noticed Sid 5?

17. cg30sailor

cg30sailor New Member

My Phone:
    samsung wafer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel,sprint
    i-90 just b4 LaCrosse,wi

18. maximus

maximus Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    My guess is you were picking up USC's Wisconsin system. Cellular around state borders can be funky at times.