Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Road Trip Report: Florida

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Nextel32708, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Nextel32708

Nextel32708 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia Lumia 710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Voice/SMS/Data)
    Hello, today a few friends and I took a road trip across The State of Florida. We crossed the eastern sand flats on i4-E, took i95-N to A1A-N (Hwy 100 Entrance) and rode to A1A-N (Hwy 206 Exit) along the seashore, we then took i95-N back from the 206 on-ramp to Jacksonville. Once in Jacksonville we took i295-N to i10-W which took us through pine forests then got onto SR41-N as we entered the Suwannee River Valley to head up to White Springs. Upon leaving White Springs we took CR136-W to i75-S which is mostly farmland and gently rolling hills. We exited i75-S to get onto CR91-S which took us through the foothills of the Smokey Mountains (yes, geographically the mountain range starts in Lake County, Florida). Then from there we took the turnpike across flat hardwood forests to eventually end up on the 408/417 to head north to Lake Mary. You would be greatly surprised, as many of us were, at the variation in terrain, foliage, and earth materials as you travel throughout this area of the state.

See a map of our excursion here!

During our trip we stopped at Washington Oaks State Gardens in Palm Coast and then traveled out to White Springs to visit the Stephen Foster Folk Cultural Center. Both of these were great visits. The gardens were beautiful and this park also features a beach with shells, crystal clear water, and coquina rock formations along the beach. Stephen Foster Folk Cultural Center was also very interesting learning about the history of our state and the state song, while there we also got to see the Suwannee River - while it was much slower in that area than a few miles upstream where they have class III rapids. All-in-all is was a beautiful drive and wonderful stops.

SPRINT REPORT: As far as cell phone coverage went, we had service in most areas (usually 3G on major highways - except on parts of i10). Traveling along i10 in the Osceola National Forest we lost service for a fairly long stretch. Other than that we had service, with the exception of weak service throughout the Suwannee River Valley (1xRTT); with very unstable service in White Springs (1xRTT) and almost non-existent at the folk center grounds. Overall, you will be covered on most stretches of major highway; and in more rural areas will loose service. I wasn't able to always check my phone, but I have it set to warn me when it is going to drop service anyways... so it was easy to tell.

T-MOBILE REPORT: As far as cell phone coverage went, we had service in most areas. Along A1A while traveling into St. Johns County we lost service for a few miles. Also traveling along i10 in the Osceola National Forest we lost service for a few miles. Other than that we had service, with the exception of weak service throughout the Suwannee River Valley; with very unstable service in White Springs and almost non-existent at the folk center grounds. Overall, you will be covered on most stretches of major highway; and in more rural areas will loose service. I wasn't able to always check my phone, but I did notice when we stopped, and some reports come from others who had T-Mobile.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    2 people like this.
  2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Good info, thanks for the report.
    How is he Republic Wireless working out for you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    If you have an Android or BlackBerry or Symbian phone, you can use the app I made to map the cellular coverage during your trip so you can view it on-line. See Cellumap Cellular Coverage Maps for more info.

4. Nextel32708

My Phone:
    Nokia Lumia 710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You are welcome.

Republic Wireless worked out great, I kept it due to the fact that I used it as my data device, but honestly the Optimus just was too buggy, slow, and not enough memory. The WiFi calling and 3G calling were great, they did finally institute MMS (more like Sprint's old PictureMail services), and the data is good. The one thing that was annoying is that SMS had to go over 3G and could not go over WiFi.

Just today I sent in my cancellation request, because I could no longer justify paying the $20/month for unlimited talk/text/data while having a mediocre phone and no live support; the reason for that is I pay $35/month for unlimited talk/text/data with T-Mobile for a great phone selection, SIM card swapping ability, and live customer support. With both providers, I got WiFi and 3G service with the option to upgrade to 4G with T-Mobile - and both would allow me to use them where service did not exist thanks to WiFi calling; but internationally, T-Mobile was more supportive of international WiFi calling than Republic was.

Therefore, I have elected to turn of my Republic phone and just keep my T-Mobile one. But, I would have to say, if anyone is looking for a good deal with good call quality I would suggest Republic Wireless - although the whole CUI WiFi vs. 3G equilibrium could cause a bit of confusion.

5. Nextel32708

My Phone:
    Nokia Lumia 710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I will most definitely keep this in mind for future road trips.

Thanks! :)

I am always up for helping the community improve like this.

1 person likes this.