Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

RIM’s new touchscreen BlackBerry 9800 likely to land on August 15

Discussion in 'Blackberry Phones' started by charlyee, Jul 21, 2010.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    RIM’s new touchscreen BlackBerry 9800 likely to land on August 15
    July 20, 2010 | Devindra Hardawar2

BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion is apparently gearing up to release a new touchscreen device on August 15 on AT&T, according to the BlackBerry Partners Fund’s John Albright, who spoke today at the paidContent Mobile Conference in New York.

We’ve known for some time that RIM is readying a touchscreen BlackBerry device with a slide-out physical keyboard. Gadget sites have been referring to the device — which would compete directly with Apple’s iPhone and Android smartphones — as the BlackBerry 9800, but its official name is still unknown.

But while we’ve seen quite a bit of the device over the past few months, an official release date has eluded us thus far — all we’ve heard is that it would be available some time this year. Now we have a more concrete date in mind.

VentureBeat spoke to Albright at the conference, and he confirmed with us that the new device is indeed the 9800 (he didn’t mention a name, but said it had a touchscreen and slide-out keyboard), and that thousands of developers already have their hands on the phone.

The 9800’s big selling point is its combination of a physical keyboard — which has kept the BlackBerry-faithful addicted to the platform — and a modern touchscreen interface. It appears the device will run RIM’s upcoming BlackBerry 6 operating system (see video below), which is due for release this summer. The new OS offers a more streamlined interface, as well as full touchscreen support.

More:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Looks like the Storm with a slide-down keyboard...

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    It is supposed to be the same size and shape as the 9700 with the keyboard put away. I am not too keen on sliders; much as I like the specs at this I am not too interested but ofcourse that could change when I actually see it and play with it.:D

The BB Forums are going crazy over it with all kinds of speculations.

BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.680 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

4. berryjunkie

berryjunkie New Member

I'm ready for this badboy to drop.The only thing, IMHO, that could make this rig more appealing to me is a 1gig processor and 9000 size form factor.
    I 'm not so much revived up about the touch screen as I am the the larger screen.
    I always thought the iBone would be the ultimate machine if it had a physical key pad. After a month stint with a 3Gs, I've rethought my belief. I couldn't get back to my 9700 quick enough!! :D
    (I actually made $50 on the deal, though :p)
    Bring on the 9800 baby!!!! :cool:

5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    lol, that's a heck of a first post berryjunkie ;). Welcome to WA, we need more BBers here. :)

Here is some more information:

AT&T sending out invites to special BlackBerry event in NYC?! | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.680 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

6. berryjunkie

berryjunkie New Member

Yeah, right. A Storm with a track pad.
    I HATE to keep making reference to the iBone but: :loony:
    if the webkit browser on this puppy is as awesome as Safari mobile, I couldn't imagine any working class dawg rockin anything but the 9800 IMHO :cool:
    I'd be interest to see a Storm 3 with a track pad. :D

7. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I just wonder if this is just too little, too late to save RIM from obscurity. With all of the OS'es available out there, some of them will fall by the wayside. Here's my prediction of how it will all play out after the dust settles:

1. Android
    2. iPhone (close second)
    3. Windows Mobile (distant third)

Any other operating system will be insignificant, like Betamax.

8. berryjunkie

berryjunkie New Member

Hey...thanks Charlyee!!!! Thanks for turning me onto WA.
    I'm definitely a BBer. I am JACKED about the 9800.
    I don't necessarly agree with RIM's marketing strategy, but ....?????? that's their biz.
    All the secercy would make one think this is some kind of "James Bond" counter intel device :rolleyes:
    Maybe it can be programmed to catch a cab home if lost....via GPS of course!!!
    or blow up in a thief's pocket :eek: (just saying)

9. berryjunkie

berryjunkie New Member

Good synopsis Jay. IDK tho. The BB UI is just too easy, man.
    I've used WinMo and iBone. (can't comment on droid)
    I'm a contractor. In my daily grind, with bullets flying, BB is flawless.
    -1 touch dial for my for "frequented" clients. For those not on 1 touch, type in a name on the home screen (generally 2 or 3 letters) and BAM, push send.
    -I can power use my 9700 all day and not worry about being accessible to power. iBone...dead in 4 hrs.
    -Email....never have to "retrieve". It just "shows up"
    -TXT.....type a name on home screen-send sms-type away.......rapid fire
    Seems like with the 2 I mentioned, it takes like....4 steps to do anything. I can do most of what I mentioned on a BB @ 60 MPH, or @ a stop light. And SAFTELY I will add. :D
    I think the general consumer likes the fluff and flash....and browser....of the droid and isheep. The 9800 is RIM's opportunity to bridge that gap for the consumer. If it falls short....hmmm
    I don't think Joe Lunchbox or Johnny Executive, that need a communication device will jump ship.
    This is, of course, only my honest opinion. I was wrong once about 15yrs ago, so I could be now, too. :lmao:
    I'm out......:cool:

10. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Just because something is superior doesn't mean it will be embraced by the consumers. Betamax had a far better picture quality than VHS, but because Sony was greedy and charged a fortune for the licensing rights, the manufacturers banded together and formed their own standard, VHS, and made the licensing cheap. The average consumer never compared VHS to Betamax side by side, except in the store where they compared the price tags side by side. We all know by the mid 80's Betamax was going the way of the 8-Track tape player.

11. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well, thanks to an invite from Charlyee, my response to you is my first post. :)

I guess my only issue with that list is whether you're talking US or worldwide. If it's worldwide, you're going to have to put Symbian in front of WM. Symbian, until very recently, outdistanced everything, worldwide. I can't see it going away that quickly, although, in some ways, I think it's needed a refresh longer than RIM has.

12. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    My present phone is WM. Even though it's been a long time since RIM bought Torch Mobile for the Iris browser. No development for WM since, but it was good enough when they stopped development that I (& lots of others) still put it on our phones. Web browsing ought to be a joy on the 9800.

13. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well, after a few more glitches on my WM 6.5 Tilt2, I decided it was time to make it my backup phone. So, off to the AT&T store to compare working phones: Samsung Captivat, SE Xperia X10, & Blackberry 9800 Torch. I've been picking Charlyee's brains about her experiences with those options, along with several others whose opinions I trusted. Reviews, friends' experiences & specs narrowed it to those three.And, truthfully, what works for one of us may not for another. Anyway....

I first looked at the Captivate. Nice phone, nice UI, but it didn't feel right. Maybe their choice of UI doesn't work closely enough to the way I do or maybe it's just me. :p Add that to the GPS issues, screen washout in bright sunlight & unimpressive battery life. And, for me, there wasn't a sense of quality. So, definitely no Captivate.

The Torch was next to it, so I gave the keyboard a quick try, but moved on to the Experia X10. Even though the screen was not the SuperAMOLED & had a lower resolution than the Captivate, it was surprisingly better than I expected. Maybe it was having played with Android 2.1 & 2.2, but version 1.6 just didn't cut it. Added is the fact that the US is nationally requiring us to be fully hands free when driving, by October. Android has voice dialing, but only 2.2 doesn't require button pushing to get it started. Also, tethering is something I use periodically. Where that's built into the Captivate, the X10 required a lot of configuration that I wasn't sure I was ready for, or a not so inexpensive paid app. The combination put the X10 out of the running for me.

After rejecting two phones that I came into the store thinking they were stellar, I was wondering if the Torch would make it three. The Torch is chunkier & heftier than I expected But it felt right in the hand, both open & closed. And the weight gives an added sense of quality. I played with it a little bit, bringing up web sites, trying some of the onboard stuff. By the time I was done, I had that sense that RIM had designed this phone just for me. :D It went home with me. More in the next post.

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Congratulations and welcome to the world of *Crackheads* :D

Looking forward to hearing your experience with its.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; SonyEricssonX10a Build/R2CA016) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

15. berryjunkie

berryjunkie New Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.161 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Good choice, man. I'm a little partial to bb's but the Torch is one sweet device. It's my 5th and by far, the best (IMHO). My daily "grind" has been made more efficient.
    Have fun with it!!!
    Keep us posted!
    Add me to your bbm, if you choose: 22CD4BD1

16. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    My first thought is of battery life. When I got the phone, yesterday, the battery was somewhere around 40%. Yesterday was also the day that I had to deal with Baltimore's awesome mass transit system to get home. :rolleyes: So, between a little personal setup & playing while traveling home, the phone started with two hours of excess use, including streaming Slacker Radio. Once I got home, I also paired my Jawbone ICON & made a few calls, including several that were close to 20 minutes apiece. By the time I put the phone on the charger, all of that had brought the battery to 30% -- definitely decent. Today, there were again multiple calls, adding some recurring stuff into my calendar, plus having the screen on for the better part of an hour & a half church service fore the Bible app I was using. And there was more stuff installed & played with, including a wallpaper changer. The phone came off the charger about 8am. It's now a little after 8pm &, with all that, I still have 37% battery. I like it!

The screen is not as impressive as the Captivate or X10, but it's clear & looks nice. There were a few reports of pixelation. I haven't seen it.

As I've mentioned before, before RIM bought Torch Mobile, they were developing the Iris browser for WM. That was awhile ago, but I still install the last version on most WM phones I get my hands on. ;) There have been a few changes since then, so I'm getting used to their first Blackberry version. But it's a worthy addition to RIM's arsenal of goodies.

Getting email & contacts set up from gmail was a no brainer. Likewise my hotmail email. But I'm used to WM keeping the most recent 50 in each account on my phone. Setting up both accounts, only those messages after setup are kept on the phone.

Having experienced WM & Android, there are a lot of things that are done differently on a Blackberry. Not necessarily a lot different, just enough to be a learning process. :p Although most of how the Torch does things is very natural, but there's still some unlearning to the process. ;) This is where RIM falls short for me. I like manuals with explanation, accompanied by some diagrams. There's only a quick start guide filled with diagrams, no "at length" explanations of how things work. Since this is my first Blackberry, that makes my initiation more difficult.

One last item, for now. In a number of different BB forums, I've seen comments about the slider & screen being loose & wobbly on some phones. Mine's rock solid in both respects. And the display model at the store was equally as solid.

As I work more with various aspects of the phone, I'll add my impressions. But that's it for the first day.

1 person likes this.
  17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The lack of manual is not a RIM thing. Neither the Captivate or the XPERIA come with detail manuals either.

Enjoying reading your posts on it, looking forward to more.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; SonyEricssonX10a Build/R2CA016) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

18. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks. And you're now in my contacts. My PIN is 22CED33B.

19. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thry'll be coming.

Two additional things.

The comments I've seen attributing looseness to the slider & wobbliness to the screen all seem to indicate the problem lies with the phones made in Mexico. I guess I must have been blessed with a Mexican techie putting mine together. :cool:

I'm not sure if you've seen the comments about the Otterbox Commuter case for the Torch. I got one. It's a little bulkier than the bare phone, almost no added weight. Definitely a nice addition if you're not using a holster or belt case. Which leads me to another unashamed plug.

My first real smartphone was a Cingular 8525 & I like leather belt cases. I found a really nice vertical case for it from fortte. There were options for colors, types of beltclips, logo & embossing. They're not cheap, but not much more than some of the generics, either. And that case has worked well & looked good for the 8525, a Treo Pro & a Tilt2, all with & without extended batteries. And, now, my Torch 9800, with & without the Otterbox hardcase. That particular fortte case has elastic in the right places so that it's not noticeable, but adds uses to the case. My only mistake was getting the fortte case with a steel post & quick release belt clip -- it pushes the case too far out to work well with a dress jacket. If I do the same case again, it'll be with a mettal spring clip.

20. berryjunkie

berryjunkie New Member

Ha ha....my 1st smart phone was an 8525....I've had 5 bb's sense, with a 4 week run w/an iBone.
    I too, have the Otter Box Commuter case for the Torch. I like it, for the most part. It's a little bulky for my taste. I also have an Invisible Shield (I S) Maximum, full body skin on the way. I had one on my 9700. I like the I S as it add's a lot of much needed grip on the device and is totally scratch proof. I actually put pieces of an I S screen protector on the Otter Box to add some grip, and a little on the top cover "rim" to aid in sliding the Torch open.
    The number I sent you is my PIN. If you set up Blackberry Messenger (BBM), you can use that PIN to add me to your contact list.
    I think you'll really like this device. If a smart phone helps you throughout your day, the Torch, IMHO, will add to your productivity and/or ease of "doing things":cool:

21. berryjunkie

berryjunkie New Member

One comment on the screen res:
    I, for 1, am totally compliant with the current screen res,
    as the higher the res, the more batt required to power it.
    I will GLADLY sacrifice screen res for longer batt life. (my $.02):cool:

22. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Haven't looked, yet. But, hopefully, RIM has a pdf I can dl.

23. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    There may yet be a time when I see problems, but, as of right now, I haven't seen anything that there's enough difference onscreen to make that a regret in my choice. A few wallpapers have looked a little fuzzy, but those are photos & I haven't looked at them on my pc to determine if the fuzziness wasn't in the original photo.. Most pics & wallpapers are very clear.

24. berryjunkie

berryjunkie New Member

Check this out:
    User Guide - BlackBerry Torch 9800 Smartphone - 6.0
    It's a link to a RIM/BB website with a Torch user's guide for download.

25. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
  26. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well, I think I've just discovered the downside of using a Blackberry. Two days ago, I switched from regular voicemail to visual voicemail. Which got messed up. So, I got to spend almost an hour on the phone with the techs, getting it fixed. Shortly thereafter, our area had a 36+ hour BIS outage. Which brings me to my one issue with BB use. Unlike regular voicemail, visual voicemail uses BIS for notifications, etc. And hitting the 1 key to access voicemail doesn't work when there's a BIS outage. So, with a BIS outage, you lose internet, email, direct access to voicemail & notification of voicemail. You end up only having the phone & texting, but no voicemail stuff, even though the other end is unaware of that. :eek: Add to that the fact that no one in CS had any clue what was wrong & tried reprovisioning my phone. And, if I'd stayed with regular voicemail, I still probably would have had access & notifications. Interesting.

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Interesting find, I hadn't thought of not being able to access VM with a BIS outage but Ofcourse with VVM that would be the case.

I noticed you haven't put the BB in your profile yet, so is the jury still out on it?

28. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Congrats on your BlackBerry kraski! Great battery life and a solid and intuitive OS are the 2 best things I liked about it. The one thing I didn't like was the BIS/BES crap and self-imposed restrictions RIM does with them. To partially get around that (and to still use data in a BIS/BES outage) I'd reccomend you to configure the APN so you can use a strieght TCP/IP data connection and bypass BIS/BES (to set your APN, go in "Advanced Settings" and "TCP/IP", then insert the APN setting for your provider). Just make sure you have Opera web-browser installed also (or try Bolt browser too) because RIM won't let the BB browser use TCP/IP connections, only BIS/BES...

...oh, and if you're into "techie stuff" you can check out my Cellumap app by pointing your BB browser to cellumap.com/ota to download it. It shows you cellular network info and lets you upload the data to my server to be displayed on a map in real-time

29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Allow me as a user of cellumap to say its great and I really miss it on my X10. :D

RR, the apn settings for at&t is what is on my 9700 but I was never able to bypass an outage and have my E-mail. at&t is very restrictive, so this may not work.

30. kraski

kraski Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    No. Just a crazy 2 weeks. Fixed it.