Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Review-Nokia 6590

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Jazzer, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer New Member

This is a really nice phone. Definitely the nicest phone I've owned to date. It is small, like the 8260 or the 8390, but it feels heavier than both of those phones. This is a plus-because it gives the phone a "solid, sturdy feel."

I love the cool blue back light. Very nice. There are several face plates available, but I really like the stock face plate. It gives the phone a classy appearance, which is nice in a business setting. For those of you AT&T users who are migrating upwards from a TDMA phone, welcome to the world of SIM cards.

The GSM signal is very strong, even in my commute to work over a small mountain pass, which is something other 3G providers I've had in the past couldn't claim. No dropped calls.

The WAP is fast, the default content is very appropriate and of course, the ability to manage my various e-mail accounts is a real plus!

And the FM-Radio! Why didn't someone do this before! I no longer have to take both my phone and my little radio with me on my morning runs. Very nice. I must add however if you are planning to listen to the FM Radio, you really need the dual headset ear piece.

The Infrared port made transferring address book info, To Do Items and appointments from my Sony PDA a breeze. It kept track of repeating appointments like a champ!

Talk time and standby seem to be very nice. No problems there.

There are some slight dings, though minor: Some may consider this phone too small. Getting use to the keys takes some time. And I've had a couple of instances where the phone recycled itself powering off and on on it's own.

All in all, my initial impressions of this phone are very positive. It's a cool kinda gadget and I'm a gadget kinda guy. But aren’t we all.

Jazzer[​IMG]

2. pacellist

pacellist New Member

I would like to echo much of what Jazzer said. I switched from my old 5160 to an 8390 and GSM (ATT) about a week ago. After receiving some good feedback on this forum I decided to turn the 8390 in for the 6590, and I'm glad I did. Both the 8390 and the 6590 are listed as the same weight but I think the 6590 is marginally heavier. That's good because it gives it a better, more solid feel, but I still don't notice it in my shirt pocket.

I like the screen much better -- better resolution, more options and a nice screen saver that gives you an analog clock if you want it (digital is available also). The calendar and organizer is also better; you can get a month reading. I haven't explored WAP and other digital stuff yet.

The sound quality is excellent, and what pleased me, even with the ear bud. You often lose there, and I use that a lot, so it was nice to hear the voices sound as good as on the phone, and I am told that my voice sounded the same.

One thing I did not like about the 8390 was lousy battery life. So far at least the 6590 battery seems better, but I haven't had a chance to give it a real test.

My sense, if you have a choice, go for the 6590.

3. mrnokia

mrnokia Senior Member

I wish that I had a GSM network provider - I have Verizon Wireless (cdma) in the east bay - SF Area

I would like a miniature Nokia that is sleek and powerful, and customizable - im stuck with the defaults.. hehe
    but the defaults are still okae. [​IMG]

4. AlexB

AlexB New Member

Hi,

did anyone try using this phone as a modem (using infra-red)?
    Did it work without subscribing for digital plans?

I am thinking to buy one. Any comments on hot to get cheap and mobile internet on my laptop and palm would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Alex

5. AlexB

AlexB New Member

Also, does anyone know what is the difference between 6590 and 6590i?
    Rogers AT&T offers only 6590i
    To me 6590i seems to be castrated vesrion of 6590.

Does anybody know for sure? I could not find reviews on that.
    The main question bothers me is can I use 6590i as a modem (using infrared) for my laptop without subscribing for the digital service.

Thank you

6. Carsmovies

Carsmovies New Member

The 6590 has the capability to handle both 1900 and 850 frequencies but has the 850 disabled by firmware. It was released for the U.S. market. The 6590i is the exact same phone except the 850 frequency has not been disabled and it was just released for the Canadian Rogers AT&T market. This is because sometime next year Rogers AT&T will be rolling out 850. [​IMG]